Is IB worth it?

justindaman1141

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering, if anyone here's gone through the IB program, if you guys think that it's worth the stress and everything. I really like that it's well rounded and all, but I heard that plenty of elite US uni's discriminate against IB kids, and instead prefer AP. Is this true? Would I be able to have an adequate social life while participating in IB? Feel free to elaborate on your IB experience. Thanks :D

Members don't see this ad.

I think IB is more challenging, pretty sure.(Don't quote me on that, not totally sure) Pretty sure AP is more like the US style, with multiple choice, while IB requires more critical thinking and verbal reasoning.

Not totally sure about this though.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO??

Logistically, I don't think it's worth it in the long run for me. IB was a lot more work and I got much less college credits from my IB testing than with APs. It's way easier to get strings of 5s in APs than 6s in IB tests (7s are just almost impossible). You also have to write a bunch of extended essays, portfolios, and CAS (the dreaded CAS), and group 4 project, all of which I didn't consider to be particularly productive in retrospect. To an extent, I feel IB credits are discriminated and taken less than APs given the same amount of workload put into them.

However, IB does confer some unique aspects that APs lack, however. You get a head start in epistemology (TOK, a branch of philosophy), which is pretty cool in retrospect, although most of us hated TOKs back then since we thought it was B.S. (all we did was watch the first season of Lost). IB also gives you a more solid foundation in foreign language since you get to take foreign language in all 4 years of HS. More importantly, IB students are grouped separately in our school and considered more prestigious program that only accepts a handful of top students from our county per year. Being part of that community, I was exposed to many unexpected opportunities, such as summer programs, science competitions/awards etc. that led me to multiple acceptances and scholarships many great undergrad schools (including Ivies). Although IB is hard, the difficulty varies by school. IB was much chiller than in college, and you have a lot of social life if you wanted to. PM me if you need any questions.

IMHO??

Logistically, I don't think it's worth it in the long run for me. IB was a lot more work and I got much less college credits from my IB testing than with APs. It's way easier to get strings of 5s in APs than 6s in IB tests (7s are just almost impossible). You also have to write a bunch of extended essays, portfolios, and CAS (the dreaded CAS), and group 4 project, all of which I didn't consider to be particularly productive in retrospect. To an extent, I feel IB credits are discriminated and taken less than APs given the same amount of workload put into them.

However, IB does confer some unique aspects that APs lack, however. You get a head start in epistemology (TOK, a branch of philosophy), which is pretty cool in retrospect, although most of us hated TOKs back then since we thought it was B.S. (all we did was watch the first season of Lost). IB also gives you a more solid foundation in foreign language since you get to take foreign language in all 4 years of HS. More importantly, IB students are grouped separately in our school and considered more prestigious program that only accepts a handful of top students from our county per year. Being part of that community, I was exposed to many unexpected opportunities, such as summer programs, science competitions/awards etc. that led me to multiple acceptances and scholarships many great undergrad schools (including Ivies). Although IB is hard, the difficulty varies by school. IB was much chiller than in college, and you have a lot of social life if you wanted to. PM me if you need any questions.

Agreed, getting a 7 is pretty much impossible, as most IB classes are curved.

@ComputerGuy365 @kamikaze1992 Thanks so much! I think I'll go with it: I'm a really well rounded student, honestly, and I like that the IB program helps you further develop that. It seems really great. Though, at this high school, basically everyone ends up taking some IB class. Is this a negative? Also, could you elaborate on having a social life? Thanks again!

Current IB Student here. In my opinion IB is definitely not worth the time. I have to agree with @kamikaze1992 and say that AP is definitely the better/easier route. I would also encourage doing AP along with dual enrollment. There are a lot of unnecessary components of IB that go unnoticed and yield no benefits such as CAS, Internal Assessments, Extended Essay, etc. If you are looking for college credit and a way to boost your gap you can do that with AP classes. Also with IB you are forced to take classes that may not even count for college credit (Theory of Knowledge) and a lot more preparation is needed to get good scores (6+). So overall, no IB is not worth the time and the effort. Dual enroll and take AP classes that you are guaranteed credit for and try to knock out your AA degree during high school. If I could go back and do this instead of IB I definitely would.

I can't express how much I think IB diploma was the best thing for my education.

IB is not worth it in my opinion. Ultimately med schools want to see how you perform in courses at the college level. I think you’re better off saving your energy. I’m not sure about being discriminated against, but it does look good. I think APs and doing great on those will benefit you just as well!

I did IB. I did well in it, but not extraordinarily so. I think I got 96 percentile for my final exams. I finished the MCAT a few months ago with a 41 (99.9th percentile). I feel like I was more prepared for the MCAT after taking IB than after all my college courses (I did Bio, Chem, Phys, English HL, Span, history, psych, math SL). It was well worth it, in my opinion.