Is IR compatible with a bad back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aprilfools

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it would be a bad idea to go into IR if you have back problems that prevent you from standing comfortably for long periods of time? I'm an M2 interested in a few different fields, primarily surgical, but I get unbearably uncomfortable standing for even moderately long procedures, so I don't know if going into a GS residency with an already bad back would be the best idea.

I'm much more comfortable when I can move around a bit, and I figured the cases in IR are typically much shorter and thus might be okay on my back. On the other hand, there's the lead.

I don't know though, what do you all think?

Members don't see this ad.

Would be rather challenging as the lead can put stress on your lower back. The IR cases can vary in length but many cases can be 1 to 2 hours or even longer.

As a med student, I dabbled with the idea of interventional cardio and IR before I picked derm... I have lower back problems and have a lumbar herniated disc... didn't really have any problems while in the cath lab, but after I went home after a long day, I was basically immobile from back pain... the lead aprons are very bad for your back... there have been several studies done showing that around 50% of interventionalists have orthopedic issues -- if you absolutely must go into a surgical field, make sure you get a lot of experience shadowing in it as a med student and make sure you scrub in on longer surgeries to see how they affect your back... also stay away from the lead aprons -- long term they are horrible for people with back problems... if you want to be in an OR setting and don't mind being less hands on, anesthesia is a great option

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently there are lead aprons that are attached to the ceiling that exert less force on your spine.

The health of your back is a very reasonable thing to consider before going into IR.

One caveat I will point out is that the lead I wear is special light-weight 2-piece lead that has been custom measured for me. The lead you wear as students (or even if you're in another specialty like anesthesia or ortho and you're in a case using fluoroscopy) is going to be the heavier, single-piece lead that is significantly more stress on your back.

As far as the length of cases, it really depends on how you want to practice. Most IR cases are on the shorter side. If you enjoy doing your routine ports, or UFE or Y90 cases I don't think it's a big deal. But if you want to be very aggressive and pursue lengthy PAD recanalization cases as part of your practice, then I might think twice with a bad back.

Reactions: 1 users