1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice

Is IRB approval required

Discussion in 'Student Research and Publishing' started by Cadet133, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Cadet133

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im doing a study on hypertension in hospitalized patients. I am currently a resident. If I want to review charts for the sole purpose to design a research study or to assess the feasibility of conducting a study, is IRB approval required? All I want to do is access patients charts from a given time frame who meet certain age requirements and record the age and BP. No patient identifiers will be recorded

2. SurfingDoctor

SurfingDoctor "Hooray, I'm useful"
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Never hurts to go through the process. If you are collecting data, but in a retrospective manner, it’ll usually undergo expedited review.

3. MeatTornado

MeatTornado On Sabbatical
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Absolutely requires IRB approval because of the part I bolded above. Will likely go through expedited review since here is no harm to the patient outside of mishandling data which you will need to address in your application.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pbrocks15

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What are you planning on doing though with that initial set of data?

If you are using it for yourself to mentally see if such a project is feasible, I think it might be appropriate to skim the charts. But if you are to use that data in the future for the specific project, then perhaps not so much.