Is is ok to major in something like CS or math? I wonder what else I need besides pre-med courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corin Conan

Reaction score
Do I need research experience like those who apply for a PhD?
Do I need to intern/volunteer at a hospital under a doctor's supervision?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're completely new to this process. The best thing you can do is start by watching some basic YouTube videos that give an overview of the process. This one is a good start:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do I need research experience like those who apply for a PhD?
Do I need to intern/volunteer at a hospital under a doctor's supervision?
It is OK to major in CS or math or whatever you love provided that you take and do well in all courses and specifically in the pre-requisites for medical school.

Research is valued by many medical schools, especially the research-oriented medical schools, where it is almost a requirement. It is certainly required if you are interested in an MD/Ph.D. program. It is NOT a requirement at most medical schools.

You do need clinical exposure. I have interviewed many medical school admissions directors and they have all wanted to see it. Many pre-meds obtain that exposure in hospital settings, but others volunteer or work in clinics, hospices, retirement communities, etc. They may also shadow physicians. The goal is for you to experience a clinical setting where you interact with patients and their families and observe physicians interacting with patients and their families.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yes, absolutely. I would be impressed by your quantitative background. Make sure you take the pre-requistes and volunteer at local hospitals