Is it a bad idea to ask schools about their openness to deferrals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jetlae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently began working at a hospital where the expectation is that I stay for a minimum of one year as the nature of my work involves close emotional support of patients, and it's likely there will be patients I see on a regular/long term basis, so leaving halfway to attend school is not okay. I took this on because on the chance I don't get accepted this cycle, I have something meaningful to do in the interim.

In any case, if by some stroke of luck I am accepted, I will not be able to attend a school outside my city in Aug 2018. Given this, is it okay if I preemptively ask schools about their openness to deferrals during my interviews? I don't want to ruin any chances of acceptances by asking though, haha. Also, the activity is not on my AMCAS app or resume because I started only recently; I really don't want to come off as me trying to sneakily shove this new activity in.

Thanks all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mention it at all to schools. If you get accepted, just quit.

Reactions: 1 user
It'll be almost a year come August. And what would happen if you absolutely hated the job? They don't own you for a year... You went into it with good intentions, and that'll have to do.

Do NOT ask medical schools if they're open to deferrals because it implies (pretty strongly) that you're not that eager to go.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the advice guys :) makes sense. will not talk about this at interviews

Just to, even though you will be involved in a position providing close emotional support of patients, it is still paid employment and very unlikely to qualify for deferral at any school

thanks, that's good to know! would it be more likely were this a volunteering activity instead?

No, schools do not give out deferrals easily. Most are given for health and/or family reasons, issues with loan approval, missing required matriculation issues, and educational in that order. You are unlikely to get a deferral based on this position.

thank you! this is very helpful information

It'll be almost a year come August. And what would happen if you absolutely hated the job? They don't own you for a year... You went into it with good intentions, and that'll have to do.

Do NOT ask medical schools if they're open to deferrals because it implies (pretty strongly) that you're not that eager to go.
This. Do you want to be a doctor or not? There are tons of people who want to start right away.