TMDSAS unique life experience essay - is it a bad idea to write about how my parent's divorce affected me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title - I've written my essay about how my parent's divorce influenced me throughout my life, but I was having second thoughts because I had heard about how the stigma of mental health issues can turn off some schools. There wasn't anything diagnosed or documented, but I wanted to tell a story of how I struggled in middle school when it happened but was able to turn my life around to excel in school and become more independent and mature. Is this a bad idea?

As an additional unrelated question, is it bad to "name-drop" or mention parents who are physicians in your personal statement? I've heard conflicting responses from friends about how they've read many a statement with name dropping because its prestigious, but I've read online that it can also be a turn off to adcoms and more of a brag.

Any help is appreciated, and let me know if there are any questions - thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Do not name-drop. It is fine to mention that your parent is a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
how my parent's divorce influenced me throughout my life
If you focus on how the divorce affected your relationships and support without having to mention any mental health dx, you should be fine.

You will be able to input parental occupation as "physician/doctor/etc." so you don't have to do it in the PS.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not worry about telling schools that you struggled with your parents' divorce as a middle schooler. Based on your description, it sounds like your essay is ultimately about resiliency and the insights that you gained from the experience, rather than any mental health struggles you may have experienced.

Do you like it when people name drop and in an attempt to impress you with people they know? Most people, including ad coms, don't.

Reactions: 1 users