Is it a big deal if I can’t do an ophtho elective during my transitional year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m finishing up my transitional year (at a different hospital from where I'll be doing ophtho) soon with 2 electives as my last 2 blocks. I initially planned on doing 2 general ophtho electives to get some practice with my exam skills and learn some basic pathology. However due to COVID the offices around here arent so receptive to taking a resident in their clinic. Would I be at a major disadvantage if I'm not able to secure any ophtho rotations before I started ophtho training? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. You'll be extra annoying to work with for the first few months and then it won't really matter. But nobody is going to want to be your backup when they could have someone who can already do the exam.

Is there a reason you didn't do an internship at your ophtho program?

To stay in the same city as my fiancé as she finishes up med school.

If it makes any difference, the first month is entirely orientation and training

Members don't see this ad :)
you'll be 110% fine. it'll be a rough start, as it is for most people (won't be the case for programs implementing integrated PGY-1 years), so just get some reading in and you'll catch up quickly.

It won't make a difference at all! Enjoy yourself. Everyone's exams are trash regardless if you do one or two or three months of ophtho intern year. Everyone catches up and your seniors will guide you.