Is it a good idea (or worth it) to keep two state medical licenses active?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I moved from State A to State B. My State A medical license is up for renewal. I have no clear or imminent plans to return to State A... But, I may possibly return there after a few years...

Should I renew the license?
I've heard it's a good idea to have two medical licenses just in case you lose a license in one state, you have a back-up...
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
It's like $900 for two years to renew...
Worth it or a waste of money?

Also, the two states are on opposite coasts of the country, if that matters.

Members don't see this ad.

Are their any weird CME requirements in State A that might cost you additional time and money? If so id factor that in to the calculation. With that said I would keep the license active, especially if you’re an independent contractor and can write off the license cost.

Pros:
Exit plan if you ever need/want to work in that state
Cons:
Cost
CME requirements
Some are funny about mailing address
Some are funny about DEA requirements (Texas)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Place in inactive status. Also if you lose your state license in one state other than voluntary, you would have to report to all the other states where you hold a license.

I keep multiple state licenses active. There is a lot of uncertainty in this specialty (and the world) and I like to maintain optionality and mobility.

Reactions: 1 user
Always have two places you can work at. Any of us can be locked out of any hospital immediately if we piss off the wrong C-suite or nurse.

Having multiple licenses gives you flexibility, especially if your local area is locked down with undesirable CMGs.

I plan to keep my TX license forever, regardless of where I'm living.

Reactions: 1 users
Your credential package/resume is more impressive with multiple state licensure.

Can you place it in an inactive status? I know Cali let’s you do this.

You still have to pay the full fee though, so what's the point (other than avoiding CME)?

Place in inactive status. Also if you lose your state license in one state other than voluntary, you would have to report to all the other states where you hold a license.

Yeah but I think the logic is that it is much easier to hold on to a license than to apply afresh for a new one.

---

In any case, I think I am going to take the financial hit and just renew it.

It is easier to move suddenly if you already hold a license in the state you’re moving to.

I was responding to another poster saying if you lose a license in one state....

how would you “lose” a license other than illegal activity or unprofessional behavior?

It’s hard to communicate on forums ...