Is it a pharmacists responsibility to check dosage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why don't we (anyone who works for CVS, Wags, and Rite Aid) pick a day to walk off the job for one day to protest?

Don't have to worry about dereliction of duty...we can just transfer rx's to another pharmacy...patient will still be able to get meds, albeit more slowly. Hit 'em where it hurts most---their pocketbooks.

You would be fired. If you were the official "legal" manager, the State Board could discipline you. Generally, this is a poor idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Because I call them the way I see them. I don't understand your antipathy towards the chains. They were in the right place at the right time and they were able to capitalize on the insurance industry's decimation of small pharmacies.

Like I said, working for CVS is not all love and sunshine and I don't like everything corporate does. Somethings can be changed and some things can't. But all in all, they are very supportive. They have great resources for the pharmacist and their working conditions are pretty good. Many of the problems in stores comes from the store manager not having the right personnel or properly trained personnel. The fallacy of the CVS model is they assume the entire staff is full trained and performing at a high level. The trouble is that's not reality..... It takes time to train the staff. But if your staff is well trained and works hard for you, doing 5000 scripts a week can be easier than doing 1200 scripts a week with a poorly trained staff.

Point taken...and I agree. Its all about your staff and how well trained they are.....but....CVS still sucks!!! Sorry couldn't resist.....

Why don't we (anyone who works for CVS, Wags, and Rite Aid) pick a day to walk off the job for one day to protest?

Don't have to worry about dereliction of duty...we can just transfer rx's to another pharmacy...patient will still be able to get meds, albeit more slowly. Hit 'em where it hurts most---their pocketbooks.

Because you wouldn't be walking off for a day....you would be fired and what would that prove?

A better option would be to get all the pharmacy managers to agree to quit if certain changes weren't made.

Members don't see this ad :)
A better option would be to get all the pharmacy managers to agree to quit if certain changes weren't made.

I know of a district supervisor at CVS who step down because they were forcing him to work 100 hours a week because they didn't have enough pharmacists. They were making him pick up a lot of empty shifts. In this market, CVS has trouble retaining pharmacists. Many of them end up jumping ship to Walgreens. Last I heard, the supervisor was thinking about going to work with Walgreens.

You would be fired. If you were the official "legal" manager, the State Board could discipline you. Generally, this is a poor idea.

Is getting fired from CVS really a bad thing? :laugh:

And once again my crazy rambling has spawned a good discussion.

I've been bored tonight and did some reading...

I find it a little troubling how you can blame retail pharmacists for being such big sellouts. What I find more troubling is the fact that you have completely turned your back to the retail sector. I agree with you on many different aspects of your complaint... but what makes you better than the pharmacist who is complacent with the lick-stick-and label that retail has turned into... I don't see you doing anything to change it.

All I've heard you do is yell and point 'sellout' and pat yourself on the back for being a 'clinical pharmacist'... I'm still debating whether I consider dosing antibiotics or monitoring coag. meds 'clinical'. You mentioned you were currently at a rural PA hospital. Something tells me you probably aren't spearheading new and innovative ways to practice pharmacy in that kind of setting. Every hospital pharmacy I've been to so far seems to be more putzing around then actually working. Most of the work was done via robot or a tech mixing IVs. The clinical pharmacists usually dosed maybe 10 or so antibiotics a day... and then did a few audits to make sure labs/diagnosis were charted. Not quite sure how this qualifies as better?

As a current pharmacy student, I think I'm more disappointed in the fact that people like yourself, who appear to be somewhat intelligent, have no will power or drive to change current retail conditions. Why not try to be that spark or catalyst that lights the fire? Instead, you're complacent with turning your nose up and complaining about the problems.

You share just as much burden and guilt as a member of the pharmacy profession to make a change (despite your sit back and watch it burn mentality)... and being a new member of the profession, I would think you share even more burden to change it into the profession you envision and want within the next 10, 15, or 30 years. It's the new grads like yourself, and the future pharmacists like myself that are going to dictate what pharmacy will be... but instead of complaining and watching idly, it requires a little effort and patience.

And one last question...

What hospital do you work at?? I want to make sure i NEVER go on a rotation there... because well frankly, you would irritate the ever living dog **** out of me. I just get this sense of a Napoleon complex... and that sir, get's very old.

I apologize for any grammatical errors or spelling errors... it's a little late.

I find it a little troubling how you can blame retail pharmacists for being such big sellouts. What I find more troubling is the fact that you have completely turned your back to the retail sector.

Wvu doesn't care about the pharmacy profession. He only cares about himself. He's the type of person who believes he's different and as a result, he is better than the rest. So now that he is no longer working in retail like the majority of pharmacists, it only confirms his views.

He seems to also have an attention deficit disorder. It is difficult for him to keep his mind focus on things for a long period of time. So it is only a matter of time before he turns his back on hospital pharmacy.

WVU, if you were half as smart as you pretended to be, you wouldn't be working as a pharmacist in any capacity. Nonetheless, some of your venomous comments in this thread are actually valid.

I've been bored tonight and did some reading...

I find it a little troubling how you can blame retail pharmacists for being such big sellouts. What I find more troubling is the fact that you have completely turned your back to the retail sector. I agree with you on many different aspects of your complaint... but what makes you better than the pharmacist who is complacent with the lick-stick-and label that retail has turned into... I don't see you doing anything to change it.

I refused to work for them when they had the only job available. And if the situation arises again...I will again refuse to work for them. I'm just one person...there aren't enough pissed off pharmacists to change anything. Complacency, fella...it will f' us all.

All I've heard you do is yell and point 'sellout' and pat yourself on the back for being a 'clinical pharmacist'... I'm still debating whether I consider dosing antibiotics or monitoring coag. meds 'clinical'.

Today I did the Long Stay Rounds and spend about an hour discussing all of the patients that have been in the hospital for over 2 weeks with a multidisciplinary team and we discussed options towards finding a medical resolution for each. Is that clinical? Hell, I don't know. There are about 20 definitions.

You mentioned you were currently at a rural PA hospital. Something tells me you probably aren't spearheading new and innovative ways to practice pharmacy in that kind of setting.

Well, today we were discussing revamping the Vanc dosing protocols based upon the guidelines released last week that I plopped on my clinical directors desk. That's kinda spearheading new practice.

Every hospital pharmacy I've been to so far seems to be more putzing around then actually working. Most of the work was done via robot or a tech mixing IVs.

The lazy in me wished we had some of those.

The clinical pharmacists usually dosed maybe 10 or so antibiotics a day... and then did a few audits to make sure labs/diagnosis were charted. Not quite sure how this qualifies as better?

On the days in which I just do order entry, that is essentially my day. Today I was doing clinical and I was staring at so much lab data that my eyes have little box charts burned into them. I seriously spent about 5 hours on the floor today making sure various peoples' ABX therapy was optimal based upon lab data, diagnosis, and a nice chart review. Those are the fun days.

As a current pharmacy student, I think I'm more disappointed in the fact that people like yourself, who appear to be somewhat intelligent, have no will power or drive to change current retail conditions. Why not try to be the that spark or catalyst that lights the fire? Instead, you're complacent with turning your nose up and complaining about the problems.

Various reason. First, I have no interest in working in that environment given how community pharmacy is run today. How the hell can a non-retail pharmacist "catalyze" changes? Those changes will have to come from within. People will have to begin to refuse to do the ridiculous things they are forced to do upon their own volition. If I go on strike or proclaim that I will no longer accept transfer coupons, I doubt very seriously CVS will care. Unfortunately, a decent income has made them very complacent about forcing change.

You share just as much burden and guilt as a member of the pharmacy profession to make a change (despite your sit back and watch it burn mentality)... and being a new member of the profession, I would think you share even more burden to change it into the profession you envision and want within the next 10, 15, or 30 years. It's the new grads like yourself, and the future pharmacists like myself that are going to dictate what pharmacy will be... but instead of complaining and watching idly, it requires a little effort and patience.

I wouldn't say I sit back idly...I actively refuse to work for them...and actively try to get people to pursue opportunities that do not involve Rite Aid. And **** like THIS is how such a larger movement gets started. People bitching about it all together...coming up with ideas...etc.

What hospital do you work at?? I want to make sure i NEVER go on a rotation there... because well frankly, you would irritate the ever living dog **** out of me. I just get this sense of a Napoleon complex... and that sir, get's very old.

Wait...what...? How the hell do you sense that I'm short? I don't get it...

Last edited:
WVU, if you were half as smart as you pretended to be, you wouldn't be working as a pharmacist in any capacity. Nonetheless, some of your venomous comments in this thread are actually valid.

Jesus...one guy tells me I go around telling people I'm a dummy when I'm not and it's just a ploy to make people underestimate me...this guy tells me I'm going around insinuating I'm ****ing Stephen Hawking when I'm really an idiot...all y'all amateur Freuds on this forum should come to a consensus about my psyche based upon your 20 or so minutes of reading my rambling thoughts...I can't know who I am unless there is some consistency from the peanut gallery...

Last edited:
Wvu doesn't care about the pharmacy profession. He only cares about himself. He's the type of person who believes he's different and as a result, he is better than the rest. So now that he is no longer working in retail like the majority of pharmacists, it only confirms his views.

Jesus...another person with a psychoanalysis...:rolleyes:

He seems to also have an attention deficit disorder. It is difficult for him to keep his mind focus on things for a long period of time. So it is only a matter of time before he turns his back on hospital pharmacy.

Hell, you might be right about that one. I get distracted by flashy lights.

Damn Mikey....I leave you alone for a few days...and what have you done? Walking around with a target logo on your back? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)

He's contributing to pharmacy the best way he knows. And that's through making contributions and changing the way they practice in his hospital. What impact do you think he'll have if he was lick sticking labels all day? Just by doing his job everyday, he's advancing our profession.

All I've heard you do is yell and point 'sellout' and pat yourself on the back for being a 'clinical pharmacist'... I'm still debating whether I consider dosing antibiotics or monitoring coag. meds 'clinical'. You mentioned you were currently at a rural PA hospital. Something tells me you probably aren't spearheading new and innovative ways to practice pharmacy in that kind of setting. Every hospital pharmacy I've been to so far seems to be more putzing around then actually working. Most of the work was done via robot or a tech mixing IVs. The clinical pharmacists usually dosed maybe 10 or so antibiotics a day... and then did a few audits to make sure labs/diagnosis were charted. Not quite sure how this qualifies as better?

And how many have you been in??

As a current pharmacy student, I think I'm more disappointed in the fact that people like yourself, who appear to be somewhat intelligent, have no will power or drive to change current retail conditions. Why not try to be that spark or catalyst that lights the fire? Instead, you're complacent with turning your nose up and complaining about the problems.

Recommend how we should go about creating a spark or becoming a catalyst.

How many pharmcist do you know who's taken the initiative to recommend revamping of the ole Vanc protocol since the new guideline just published? It may seem mundane to you but this is an example of "doing it" rather than sit back and watch it burn. You have no idea what you're talking about.

And one last question...

WVU does not have a Napoleonic Complex. And I promise you he would make a much better preceptor than your typical PIC at a retail chain pharmacy... except for Old Timer.. and the Mountain dood who's little sketchy. I would probably flunk your ass.

:smuggrin:

WVU, I don't think your assesment of corporate/retail pharmacy is way off base. Infact, I would say it's pretty accurate for ALOT of pharmacies, but I have to wonder...are you just trying to piss people off? You do seem to thrive on that. I'm not suggesting you have to be diplomatic about it, go ahead and spew your venom. That's fine. I'm just wondering what you were trying to achieve. I understand that most hospital gigs require greater use of your faculties than most retail gigs, but where is the dignity in having three physicians ~"simultaneously scream at you"?

Hey Z....WVU has been holding is own here. He actually has some good points.

Dood...more importantly... Mortgage rates are hovering low 4's!!!!:eek:
I'm thinking Refi..to cut my payment by $500+ per monf! + I'm getting a raise! + I just got out of a car payment!

Or I can go 15 years for virtually same payment!:thumbup:

I'm thinking Refi..to cut my payment by $500+ per monf! + I'm getting a raise! + I just got out of a car payment!

I drop a car payment in April. Of course I now have three kids in daycare full time.

What is your current interest rate? We bought our house last year and got 5.25%. Wouldn't be worth it for us to refi. You must be around 6.5% to say $500 on a refi.

Hospital pharmacists must be smarter...WVU is actually making sense now that he has a job.

I drop a car payment in April. Of course I now have three kids in daycare full time.

What is your current interest rate? We bought our house last year and got 5.25%. Wouldn't be worth it for us to refi. You must be around 6.5% to say $500 on a refi.

Hospital pharmacists must be smarter...WVU is actually making sense now that he has a job.

Mine is at 5.875%...and I think it'll be around $400 lower. I'm crunching the numbers now and I need to find out how low I can go... Low to Mid 4's it'll be golden.

WVU, I don't think your assesment of corporate/retail pharmacy is way off base. Infact, I would say it's pretty accurate for ALOT of pharmacies, but I have to wonder...are you just trying to piss people off? You do seem to thrive on that. I'm not suggesting you have to be diplomatic about it, go ahead and spew your venom. That's fine. I'm just wondering what you were trying to achieve. I understand that most hospital gigs require greater use of your faculties than most retail gigs, but where is the dignity in having three physicians ~"simultaneously scream at you"?

No, I don't really MEAN to piss people off. It just happens that way. I'm just a son-of-a-bitch from the hills that doesn't sugar coat anything he thinks, says, or does. It is what it is. I live in a run-down trailer down by the river (quite literally.) You have to lift the door up 3 inches before it will deadbolt. You'd be pissed off, too.

And the aforementioned physicians weren't really screaming at *me* per se. It was the situation. If you have a patient of yours that you've known for decades in a bed 5 feet away from you within the grasp of death....yeah...you get some slack in that situation.

Last edited:

F that. Spend all of your money on rifles. Then when the revolution comes, you can sell them for 20 fold what you paid for them. And the revolution...she'll a-come...

F that. Spend all of your money on rifles. Then when the revolution comes, you can sell them for 20 fold what you paid for them. And the revolution...she'll a-come...

That is not a bad idea....As soon as Obama won the election a local gun store called his whole saler and they were sold out of AR-15's. Had over a thousand week before the election.

I know...rates are so low it's tempting.

Kick myself for not living somewhere I want to buy.

Considering getting a place on the beach back home though. Rent seasonal to snowbirds...covers a good chunk of mortgage!

Posted via Mobile BlackBerry Device

That is not a bad idea....As soon as Obama won the election a local gun store called his whole saler and they were sold out of AR-15's. Had over a thousand week before the election.

:thumbup: Great! Obama is already stimulating the economy!

Mine is at 5.875%...and I think it'll be around $400 lower. I'm crunching the numbers now and I need to find out how low I can go... Low to Mid 4's it'll be golden.

Try to stick with a local bank that does not sell the Mortgages. I deal with a great local bank. When rates do down, I can re-cast. Send them a fee and they adjust the payments. No paperwork, no settlement, no hassle..... You might pay a slightly higher rate, but no hassle part is well worth it. I have re-cast about 3-4 times over the years....

I know...rates are so low it's tempting.

Kick myself for not living somewhere I want to buy.

Considering getting a place on the beach back home though. Rent seasonal to snowbirds...covers a good chunk of mortgage!

Yeah? U buy it let me use it!

I'm back in FL today and its quite nice !

How is this a thread? Of course a pharmacist has the responsibility to verify dosage. What is more bread and butter for the practice of pharmacy than that?

another point to go along with this - I always advise people that I know to actively search out pharmacies that aren't as busy. A CVS that fills 150 - 200 a day is a very different pharmacy than one that fills 500-600 a day. I think the OP probably just got a particularly poor pharmacist, but the likelyhood of problems occurring along with less opportunity to counsel increases in the high volume stores.
It is absolutely the pharmacist responsibility to check dosage to make sure it is safe and appropriate for the patient, but my partner says we don't have to call when the dose is different from what the patients had before. We can fix it later she said. I hate it, I still insist to call MD when I know it is not the current dose or direction for maintenance meds because it is hard to take the med back once it is out of the pharmacy. We have to explain to the patients what happened, need to call MD any ways, and ending up wasting more time on one script. Why not fix it first before the rx goes out??? Retail is getting icky...

It is absolutely the pharmacist responsibility to check dosage to make sure it is safe and appropriate for the patient, but my partner says we don't have to call when the dose is different from what the patients had before. We can fix it later she said. I hate it, I still insist to call MD when I know it is not the current dose or direction for maintenance meds because it is hard to take the med back once it is out of the pharmacy. We have to explain to the patients what happened, need to call MD any ways, and ending up wasting more time on one script. Why not fix it first before the rx goes out??? Retail is getting icky...

You are serious. Every time you get a new rx for a dosage change you want to stop and call the doctor to verify???? Madness, I tell you madness.

How about discussing this with the patient? Mrs. X, did Dr Y. tell you he was increasing your dosage on drug Z? You are right you should look into a dosage change. You are wrong however to call the doctor each time to verify this information.

You are serious. Every time you get a new rx for a dosage change you want to stop and call the doctor to verify???? Madness, I tell you madness.

How about discussing this with the patient? Mrs. X, did Dr Y. tell you he was increasing your dosage on drug Z? You are right you should look into a dosage change. You are wrong however to call the doctor each time to verify this information.

Thank you for your input, Old Timer:thumbup:! Nope, I don't call on every rx. Now I know why my partner thinks I call on every rx, it just sounds like I do, but no I don't. New rx I don't call because I can assume there was a dose change otherwise they wouldn't write a new one unless it was a really old rx & it looks like it was written before (I had Toprol XL 50 mg po daily for 3 months now, now patient is trying to fill an rx written 5 months ago same drug 25mg po daily). I will ask the patient by all means, but when the rx is called in by a nurse, didn't mention any change in dose and said it was a refill. So the problem is they imply there isn't any change, but there is a discrepancy.

I like preventing problems, an rx for Norco 5/325 1-2poq4-6prn pain, patient has been on same dose for 12 months on a regular basis, patient refills script on time, all a sudden the nurse said she has a refill for the patient, 1 po daily then hang up. It is obviously different from what the patient's had before, if the rx went out 1 po daily & actually take whatever he/she was on before, the insurance won't pay for early refill, we can't re-bill it, then you get a patient yelling at you.

My partner is saying, just give them whatever is called in, which is okay I suppose. We can fix it later she said. Yes, I have fixed those for her after she filled scripts with the wrong dose when she wasn't there. I will not be a pharmacist leaving problems for others. Well, what do I know, I've been a rph for 2 years, she has done this for 30 years. So I can write a note for patient asking if there is a change in direction, if there isn't then what, they have to make an extra trip to the pharmacy, wait couple more days for a new rx. Who cares, right? :thumbdown:

I rather be on hold while checking scripts, straighten things out over the phone with the nurse and get the problem over with NOW. I think it is time saving overall if we consider everything else we have to do if something is wrong. Two(2) phone calls are the most I have ever called in a day. Is that so wrong? The nurses thank me for looking at those things all the time and I am just doing my job.

:luck:

That's right! Geek squad to the rescue.

I know...weather's been gorgeous past few days. Be careful...you may want to ditch TX before you know it. Able to get in a round or two?

Well, cruising down the street at 35mph in a golf cart in the morning was one cold experience. And no... not ditching TX. No can do.

What don't you like about it?

The only thing I sort of like is the weather. Pretty much everything else sucks. Traffic, rude people, big city, nothing interesting to do......

I was raised in Kansas. I never have been a big city guy. I think my biggest gripe is living in the suburbs. I hate it. In a year a two when the economy picks back up I am heading back to Kansas. My wife and I have 28 acres outside of a little town we are going to build a house on.

The only thing I sort of like is the weather. Pretty much everything else sucks. Traffic, rude people, big city, nothing interesting to do......

I was raised in Kansas. I never have been a big city guy. I think my biggest gripe is living in the suburbs. I hate it. In a year a two when the economy picks back up I am heading back to Kansas. My wife and I have 28 acres outside of a little town we are going to build a house on.

so what can possibly be more interesting in Kansas?? I'm enjoying SA...perhaps we are a little more sophisticated than people from Dallas :smuggrin:

You know...that describes pretty much every major metropolitan city in the US. Then again, I went against the traffic when I used to commute. Rude People don't bother me because I can be just as rude or a lot more rude than them. You live in the burbs... not in a big city...Big City is NYC.

You don't like the burbs and there aint nothing interesting to do? That's probably becuase you have 3 little ones not because Dallas doesn't have anything interesting things to do. This is more of an indication of where you are in life and also your lifestyle decisions, not the locale.

You can certainly live a rural life near Dallas....just drive 5 miles outside of your burb. Then again, if Kansas home, then somewhere over the rainbow...you must go home.

so what can possibly be more interesting in Kansas?? I'm enjoying SA...perhaps we are a little more sophisticated than people from Dallas :smuggrin:

I love SA. I could live there. So Shut up.

I haven't read this thread in days.

but I thought I would share that I'm reading a chapter right now written by someone with the last name "Wiener" hehe.

I haven't read this thread in days.

but I thought I would share that I'm reading a chapter right now written by someone with the last name "Wiener" hehe.

I don't get it..

One time I got an RX written for Seconal 1000mg :confused: for an underweight child, I remember it was at least 10 times the max recommended dose. The mom needed this filled just before a procedure, I told her it didn't look right, we couldn't get a hold of the MD on the phone, so she went to the office to get another RX. The nurse who wrote the Rx just gave the mom another RX like nothing happened...:eek: :luck:

RE: the first two pages of this thread...

WVU has some valid points, but maybe his ire is misdirected. He's right that corporate models with pharmacy as a loss-leader is terrible for the profession, and ultimately for the patient. The pharmacy mills are all about speed and how many can you fill per hour. That's it. That's all that matters. And the pharmacists that haven't stood up and DEMANDED a lunch break, demanded more staff or a limit on # filled per hour do maybe deserve some blame. In WVU's estimation, those who have been practicing for the last 20 years or so played a role in letting it come to this. I don't know that I'd go that far, but the big retail chain store setting really makes me feel ill. Any dummy can look at that setup and tell you it's a recipe for disaster.

Instead of seeing pharmacists from different settings attacking each other, it would be really cool if they could work together to figure out how to change the practice model of community pharmacy so that we actually get paid for what's between our ears.

Pharmacists are 'professionals' that don't get paid for the value of their knowledge / advice, but instead get paid for the act of dispensing. Except for MTM. Which is a start, at least.

But attacking each other is definitely not going to help. Its in everyone's best interest to work together on this. My $0.02.