Is it a waste of time to go through any Parasitology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

winsicle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i mean how many questions could we get per exam - maybe 1?

Members don't see this ad.

although a brief cause-symptoms-life cycle-treatment review on worms would be good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasted some time and remember very little at this point.

I'd definitely try to remember things like Eichinococcus = liver cysts, fish tapework = B12 deficiency, Hookworm = Fe deficient anemia, parasites in general = eos, and maybe a few general treatment principles. That's mostly worms, I know there are other types, but you get the idea.

Edit: I haven't taken the exam yet, so take that for what it's worth. Just my guess.

It is pretty annoying, because you know they will ask some questions. Who knows how many? Probably not much. But they can ask you random crap, like the treatment for Trepenema Rhodense (or however you spell). I mean, it is in FA year after year, so you know they asked stuff like that.

ha yeah I remember some UWorld question or something and the answer was sodium stibogluconate is the treatment for visceral leshmaniasis or some crazy parasite that you only get in the deepest darkest Congo or something and I was just thinking ok if that pops up on my test I'm just gonna have to bend over and take it

Last edited:
Pick 5. Remember those and take your chances. I agree with those above that stressing over these is just too much

ha yeah I remember some UWorld question or something and the answer was sodium stibogluconate is the treatment for visceral leshmaniasis or some crazy parasite that you only get in the deepest darkest Congo or something and I was just thinking ok if that pops up on my test I'm just gonna have to bend over and take it

lololol yeah

they're prolly be 1 or 2 questions on the exam. that's testing, what, like 40 or 50 facts from first aid? I'd say the yield on that is actually pretty high, considering there's 330 questions testing what seems like 10,000 total facts we've accumulated.