Is It Actually Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flip6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior hoping to apply into PT school during the next application cycle. Recently, I've taken on a lot of stress about my student loans. When I graduate with my Bachelors I'm estimating I'll have about 30K in student loan debt. My question is, is the PT profession really worth the 100K amount of debt I'll be in after it's all said and done? Can a PT salary put up with this kind of debt?

Feedback will be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,
I think people around here will essentially answer that question, with a question, and it would go a little something like: do you think it's worth it?

I don't think anyone here can answer that question for you. If you absolutely love PT, then maybe 100K+ in debt will be worth it for you. However, if the monetary value of the profession happens to be your only motivation, then most likely not. I can't tell you if a PT salary can keep up with the debt for certain, as I'm still in undergrad myself.

But, I'd imagine, if one saved their money within the first few years of school, and lived very frugal - college student like perhaps, then you could have that debt paid off pretty quickly. Don't quote me on that, perhaps a practicing PT can give you a more accurate depiction... but that's how I'd imagine it.

In essence, it's all up to you my friend. What do you feel?

I agree with the post above. You have to decide if you think it is worth it. For me, I feel it is worth it because I love PT. Like what was said above, there are ways you can try to pay off the debt sooner i.e. live frugally, ect. Or you can work after undergrad for awhile to pay off some of your debt from undergrad and save some for grad., ect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the honest replies. I do believe it's worth it. I want to spend my life working at a job that I don't dread going to everyday. The only reason I questioned it was because I'm very money cautious and the loan letters were causing me to somewhat panic.

Thanks you guys!

There are 3,426,742,345.3141 threads about this already. =] just fyi