Is It All Over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derelictreaper

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I came into this semester (second semester, freshman year) hoping to do extremely well, but it didn't end up being so hot. I was on track to get a B in GChem II, but despite relentless studying prior to the final I cracked during the test and ended up with a C+ in the class. I go to a small private school (Elon).

My other three classes are coming out to A's, but this being one of three science prerequisite classes I have taken so far, I feel like I am screwed.

My question is if it is all over for me?
Are there any individuals who have gotten into decently ranked medical schools despite getting a C+ in a single class in college?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Melodramatic much? A single C+ is not going to ruin your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
But are there examples of people at Med school who had a C+ at some point?

about half the med students on this board. In fact, many of them had 2.XX GPAs after their freshman year. The grades themelves won't kill you, you just need to figure out why you are doing poorly, and correct it.

I came into this semester (second semester, freshman year) hoping to do extremely well, but it didn't end up being so hot. I was on track to get a B in Gen Chem II, but despite relentless studying prior to the final I cracked during the test and ended up with a C+ in the class. I go to a small private school.

My other three classes (Ethics, Italian, and Biology II) are coming out to A's, but this being one of three science prerequisite classes I have taken so far, I feel like I am screwed.

Are there any individuals who have gotten into decently ranked medical schools despite getting a C+ in a single class in college?

Please stop whining. You have one C+. Some of us are in a much much much worse position. Grow a backbone and get over it.

Sorry being rude, but its frustrating to read about how people are screwed for getting a C when they are actually not. You don't know what screwed is so stop acting like you have it bad.

I came into this semester (second semester, freshman year) hoping to do extremely well, but it didn't end up being so hot. I was on track to get a B in Gen Chem II, but despite relentless studying prior to the final I cracked during the test and ended up with a C+ in the class. I go to a small private school.

My other three classes (Ethics, Italian, and Biology II) are coming out to A's, but this being one of three science prerequisite classes I have taken so far, I feel like I am screwed.

Calm down.

This thread makes me want to drink heavily..

calm%2Bdown%2Bbro.jpg

Please stop whining. You have one C+. Some of us are in a much much much worse position. Grow a backbone and get over it.

Sorry being rude, but its frustrating to read about how people are screwed for getting a C when they are actually not. You don't know what screwed is so stop acting like you have it bad.

I didn't mean to offend anyone. I realize overall GPA matters more, but do people get into schools like UCSF Med and overcome C+'s to do well later on? Everyone says, yes, people do but it would be nice to hear from a current medical student. I'm still finishing up finals and it's hard to focus knowing that I've already messed up one. I guess I just needed some assurance, I'm sorry if I angered/annoyed anyone.

Sure, somebody has had a C+ in the past, but from my deep insider knowledge I can tell you that this person was accepted because she was a URM and went to Saba in the Caribbean. You could try to get into med school in the Caribbean, but that's a long shot at this point. Maybe some of the lower ranking nursing programs might take a chance on you. You will then only be able to get into NP school, but that will be if you keep a 4.0 from now on.

Be nice, Triage. The OP's sarcasm meter may not have been installed yet.
lol true. I'm sorry.

OP - I personally know a physician graduate from Harvard that got a C in his first semester Physics. Pick yourself up and go.

lol totally agree.

please stop whining. You have one c+. Some of us are in a much much much worse position. Grow a backbone and get over it.

Sorry being rude, but its frustrating to read about how people are screwed for getting a c when they are actually not. You don't know what screwed is so stop acting like you have it bad.
+100

SDN's "What Are My Chances?" section is not a true representation of your competition when it comes to being accepted to medical school. There are people that just get good grades, do hours of EC's and just follow the requirements for admission for their desired Medical School.

Regardless, you have more than a C+ too worry about. Admission is more than just having a good GPA. Also, your race, MCAT scores, ECs, etc. are important as well.

Aww. When I read posts like these I have to usually stop myself before thinking "troll!" to remember my own freshman year and realize how scary your position was to me back then.

Short answer: This C+ will not be a death sentence at all so don't even worry about it! Just don't let it happen again.

I got a C in gen chem I and ended my first semester freshman year with a 3.1. Not only did I worry that getting a C in anything would automatically doom me from an acceptance to med school, I was worried about whether I could handle chemistry at all. I got an A- the next semester in gen chem II, my overall grades just kept going up from freshman to senior year, I ended up doing great on the MCAT, and landed 2 acceptances to med school (US allopathic programs). You're human (and you're a freshman!) so don't expect to be a perfect college student from the very start. You'll keep getting better at it.

But of course, also keep in mind that your grades are truly, truly only one piece of the puzzle, so build up the rest of that application, too!