WhatisMedicine

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello all,

I am an alumni on my second gap year post-grad, and am planning on applying for the 2021 cycle.

I was pre-writing my application/surveying questions, and came upon the IA section. I had never gotten an official IA from my undergrad, however I did have an incident where screenshots of a group-chat where I discussed the consumption of alcohol and partying (I was 19 at the time) was sent to community standards by a member of the group-chat. I (and others in the group-chat) had a cautionary meeting with community standards, and discussed the messages with them as well as why they were wrong.

I was never caught with alcohol, never formally sanctioned, and received no punishment. I called them last year and asked if I had anything I was required to disclose on my medical school application, and they said they didn't have any formal sanctions, but didn't answer the question full stop.

I brought it up to the committee at my school, and they stated that I should disclose it, as the risk of them finding evidence of me discussing alcohol far outweighed the risk of me coming clean and stating why I had a meeting. It doesn't appear anywhere on my transcript and was not denoted as a formal institutional action anywhere.

Should I disclose this as an IA? and If so, how would you recommend I go about the disclosure.

Thank you

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
  1. Attending Physician
This is not an IA. If anything it sounds like a normal college experience. The committee is overreacting.

Reactions: 2 users

WhatisMedicine

2+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2018
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Thank you for your response,

My question is: if it isn't a big deal, would disclosure of it hurt me? I feel as if it's a pascal's wager-esque situation where if I don't disclose, it may hurt me greatly, whereas if I disclose (due to it not being a big deal) it may only hurt me slightly. I'm just on the fence and I'm afraid the committee might make reference to it in my letter, considering I (perhaps wrongfully) brought it up to them.

Thank you for your time

About the Ads

Med Ed

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
  1. Attending Physician
The IA question isn't there to play gotcha. Either you have one or you don't.

We are well aware that colleges have systems for dealing with relatively minor infractions without having them all rise to the level of an IA.

You are overthinking this. A lot.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Kumorebi

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
2+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2017
Status
  1. Medical Student
Hello all,

I am an alumni on my second gap year post-grad, and am planning on applying for the 2021 cycle.

I was pre-writing my application/surveying questions, and came upon the IA section. I had never gotten an official IA from my undergrad, however I did have an incident where screenshots of a group-chat where I discussed the consumption of alcohol and partying (I was 19 at the time) was sent to community standards by a member of the group-chat. I (and others in the group-chat) had a cautionary meeting with community standards, and discussed the messages with them as well as why they were wrong.

I was never caught with alcohol, never formally sanctioned, and received no punishment. I called them last year and asked if I had anything I was required to disclose on my medical school application, and they said they didn't have any formal sanctions, but didn't answer the question full stop.

I brought it up to the committee at my school, and they stated that I should disclose it, as the risk of them finding evidence of me discussing alcohol far outweighed the risk of me coming clean and stating why I had a meeting. It doesn't appear anywhere on my transcript and was not denoted as a formal institutional action anywhere.

Should I disclose this as an IA? and If so, how would you recommend I go about the disclosure.

Thank you
What the heck school is this where someone narcs on a group chat. Unless y'all were being really grody. Not an IA in my book as a past RA. School didn't even do anything but tell you to stop shenanigans.

Reactions: 1 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads