Is it appropriate to ask who will be interviewing me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Svenson

LV. 23
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have an interview in September, but was not told the names of who would be interviewing me (only the types of interviews). Would it be appropriate for me to contact the admissions department and ask if they knew who my interviewers would be?

The only existing thread I saw on this was rather short and from more than 10 years ago, so I figured it was okay to see if anything has changed.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't. Why does it matter? Also they may not even know yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Why does it matter?

It would make a good first impression to know their name before you walk into the room. I would also be able to learn more about what they do professionally, which would allow me to ask more directed questions during the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Alternative idea: ask them what they do professionally, then ask more questions about it.

Don't be a robot.

It would make a good first impression to know their name before you walk into the room. I would also be able to learn more about what they do professionally, which would allow me to ask more directed questions during the interview.
It actually feels kind of creepy.

How is that a good first impression?
"This person knew information about me before I even told them my name" is not my idea of a fun meeting.

This sort of unbalanced scenario comes up a lot in TV and movies...generally as a power play by the well-informed party, designed to make the other person feel uneasy. Not exactly "oohh, impressive!" material.

Reactions: 1 user
Yea, it makes for something super awkward. I liken it to what a celebrity would put up with on the daily.
To be fair, the interviewer presumably knows a fair amount about the applicant. Why would knowing their profession make it awkward?

I concur. If someone came in and started asking me about my own lectures and research, I';d assume that they looked me up between arrival and the interview.

I can't see how it would hurt to ask.

Some schools use outside people, like community doctors or even lay public, so your research might draw a blank!

To be fair, the interviewer presumably knows a fair amount about the applicant. Why would knowing their profession make it awkward?

I don't see how knowing what they do or their name is awkward or stalking. But thanks for the feedback.

I don't see how knowing what they do or their name is awkward or stalking. But thanks for the feedback.
I just don't see how it 'makes a good first impression.' What does it show?
Either you know a name that you would have found out within 0.5s of starting the interview (meaningless and not particularly impressive) or, as you indicated in the first post, you use it to ask more pointed questions, which...is awkward. Why not just have a normal conversation with them?

The first time this happened to me I was taken aback (remember the internet was young). I felt a bit creeped out, but I calculated that feeling into my unconscious bias and I hope I was fair. Since then, I have come to feel that this is just another way that time gets wasted in an interview. The interview is not about me it's about you.

Reactions: 2 users