Is it appropriate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yrtaidop5228

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have just finished putting everything into the podiatry schools that I need - including recommendations. I do have one question though. Is it (and if yes, at what point) appropriate to ask a doctor you have shadowed to make a personal call to a school they went to on your behalf? I have been shadowing my mentor doctor from the DPM mentors network associated with AACPM for about 24hrs in total now. This doctor graduated from my first choice college and has already agreed to send a letter of recommendation but I would really like to get the extra umph if you know what I mean - without being presumptuous or rude. Thanks!
TP

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I have just finished putting everything into the podiatry schools that I need - including recommendations. I do have one question though. Is it (and if yes, at what point) appropriate to ask a doctor you have shadowed to make a personal call to a school they went to on your behalf? I have been shadowing my mentor doctor from the DPM mentors network associated with AACPM for about 24hrs in total now. This doctor graduated from my first choice college and has already agreed to send a letter of recommendation but I would really like to get the extra umph if you know what I mean - without being presumptuous or rude. Thanks!
TP

I shadowed with one of the past presidents of the APMA and one time he offered to call the pod school deans to discuss my application (ie a lot of extra umph). I thanked him but never took up the offer. In the end, got into all the pod schools.

I really don't think you need your pod mentor to call the schools. I wouldn't even ask him/her unless they offered in the first place (seems a bit rude IMO). If they wrote a good LOR and your stats are good, then you will be fine! Good luck and god speed

i agree. dont do it. they will already know who is name is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree too... this is what reference letters are for...

Last edited:
Agreed. There was an alumnus from my school that called up demanding that a certain student be interviewed (on the date that she chose) and accepted because he gave her flowers to thank her for allowing him to shadow. She said no one has ever given her flowers for shadowing.

Obviously it only made that alumnus look kooky and maybe hurt the student's chances.

Not that every DPM would behave this way on behalf of a student, but probably not unheard of...

I don't think it looks good when an alumnus calls. It looks like they are trying to name drop or whatever. If a student gets in, it should be for their own accomplishments, not because of name dropping.