Is accepting an offer and paying deposit binding?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KorJC

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was gratefully to have recently been accepted to my top podiatry program recently, however am currently sitting on some MD/DO decisions as well as MD/DO waitlists… I just wanted to see if paying a deposit and signing the matriculation agreement would be binding in the case I choose to go somewhere else?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is take a year off and reapply to MD/DO if you don’t get in. Podiatry sucks

Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I was gratefully to have recently been accepted to my top podiatry program recently, however am currently sitting on some MD/DO decisions as well as MD/DO waitlists… I just wanted to see if paying a deposit and signing the matriculation agreement would be binding in the case I choose to go somewhere else?
Most places you lose your deposit and that's that. Unless you've signed something- it should not be binding.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Podiatry will always accept you right now, next year, and later. It will always be there. It is your backup. Do the MD/DO route and you'll thank yourself later. Podiatry really sucks. Most likely you'll lose your deposit if you decide not to attend the podiatry program. They can't force you to attend even after doing the deposit and signing it. The binding agreement is to hold the seat for you, but you have the choice to attend or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't rush into decision making. Better off losing $1,000 than $40,000 in loans if you feel its not right for you. Tell them you want to defer until next year and ask if they will hold the acceptance. Shadow more podiatrists, MD/DO. Make sure you make right decision for you.

Reactions: 1 users
I honestly would say any professional school is not worth it right now. The debt for nearly every professional school out there is too much. Post-Covid, tuition and CoL has been getting substantially worse.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Podiatry isn't amazing, but I don't think it's terrible either.

Personally, the happiest podiatrists I've seen are those that decide to drop most surgery post-residency and focus on actual income, investing, etc. in a group practice. But that's anecdotally of course.

Reactions: 1 user
I honestly would say any professional school is not worth it right now. The debt for nearly every professional school out there is too much. Post-Covid, tuition and CoL has been getting substantially worse.

The grass is always greener on the other side. Podiatry isn't amazing, but I don't think it's terrible either.

Personally, the happiest podiatrists I've seen are those that decide to drop most surgery post-residency and focus on actual income, investing, etc. in a group practice. But that's anecdotally of course.
Yeah honestly this is kinda true. I have a MD friend who gets a lot of their income taken by taxes and they don’t really speak highly of being a family medicine doctor which is what the vast majority of doctors are ushered into, along with internal med. everybody is feeling the way the economy is Now