Is it better to apply earlier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

365preDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to applying earlier (besides having the personal satisfaction of having everything in on-time)? Do schools look at applications that were submitted first (not including the ones with rolling admissions)?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. PTCAS tends to get back logged around Sept-Dec with people frantically sending in transcripts, applications, gre scores, etc. I got accepted in October and I didn't envy the people that were sweating it out two weeks before the deadline with stuff that still needed to be handed in.

Yes. PTCAS tends to get back logged around Sept-Dec with people frantically sending in transcripts, applications, gre scores, etc. I got accepted in October and I didn't envy the people that were sweating it out two weeks before the deadline with stuff that still needed to be handed in.

Completely agree. It makes it a heck of a lot easier especially if you're in class during the fall. I got all my stuff in before my semester started and it definitely is nice knowing you don't have to run around getting your stuff together amidst studying for exams, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally. I wasn't as wise as Monastn5 and waited until early September when I was in the midst of 4 science classes plus labs. I have never been so stressed in my life. Do yourself a favor and figure out where you're applying, write ALL of your essays (including the supplemental ones) and get it all submitted before fall classes start. You couldn't pay me to re-live early Sept 2012...

Please don't get frightened by my post here...I am providing many warnings based off of my experiences in order to help! I would HIGHLY recommend you start it as soon as it becomes available in July...I started two weeks after it opened in July and didn't have things completely set until September. Granted everyone's application is different for several various reasons...

I applied to a few schools that required several essays that I had to write. This required A LOT of time going to the writing center at my university, which btw closed for a month due to summer break around August (another thing to check into at your university). Some students get lucky and only need to write their personal statement for their selection of schools but for the schools that require essays, put your best effort into these!! The reason being is that some schools don't believe in interviews and base their decisions off of your essays instead. As you know interviews are a good chunk of the decision making process...well so are these essays in most cases!

Moving on, you also have to get your Rec Letters submitted which can be done right on the application (you send a request from PTCAS to whomever is writing your rec letter. They are provided a link to be able to write the letter in PTCAS and then submit it..once submitted, you will be given an option to view your rec letter. If you read your rec letter in PTCAS, it could potentially hurt your chances of getting in, if you don't they will see it as a means that you trust your rec letter writers which means you must have done a good job to get that rec letter...lol).

The reason why it took me so long to submit it was because I had a professor who had promised to write me a Rec Letter back in May of last year and it took her until September to get to it...I know prof's are busy but when you have some school with Hard deadlines on Oct. 1st, you start to sweat when September rolls around and you have nothing submitted yet. I am not saying this to scare you but just to let you know to REALLY have your ducks in a row...(I suggest asking 2 or 3 professors if possible so you can feel confident that you will get a good Rec letter in on time...)

Then you have get all of the volunteer work approved via PTCAS by the places you volunteered for...usually quick and easy. You have to arrange for your transcripts to be sent and to have your GRE scores sent as well. DO THIS FIRST. (PTCAS will have a checklist recommending what you should do first anyways...) but this usually is time consuming as well as entering every single one of your classes. One small typo can delay your application a week or two when it comes to entering your classes. Take your time, make sure it is all correct.

Also, make sure you have money for all this...I can remember an exact amount but I do remember ~$200 to send my GRE scores and ~$400 for the PTCAS application give or take...Also, you might know this, but if you get accepted, you have to pay a confirmation deposit that usually costs $200-1000 depending on the school and you are only given a few weeks to pay it to secure your seat...I didn't know that until I got accepted so now I have a $500 debt on a credit card right now... (-.-)

Again, I am not trying to scare you or anything but to merely just let you know to really be prepared for this. When July happens, act like this application is a 4-5 credit course that you have to get a 3.5-4.0 in order to graduate. Communicate like crazy with your rec letter people. Get your essays looked at by at LEAST 3 DIFFERENT people who SPECIALIZE in grad school essays. Take the time to perfect this monster...then go get a beer. :-D

Great post, Schnell8. :thumbup:

Thank you! I am definitely all for helping fellow students with this! I should also mention that after you submit your PTCAS, you CAN go back and add/change certain things...For example, when September rolled around and I had no Rec Letter yet, I asked another professor from a community college just so I had something...PTCAS warns you that your application can take a few weeks to process after you submit it so come mid September, I HAD to submit it..) She submitted it right away (I knew her well although and she has a good reputation but not like this other professor who works alongside the President of ACSM)..Thankfully, a week after I submitted my application, this more reputable prof finally submitted it and was able to make the necessary change even though I had already had my application submitted..but keep in mind this is only for certain parts of the application! I hope it helps some of you to avoid or be prepared from some of the hurdles I had to go through!

If one of your class ends in mid Sept. Does PTCAS accept a transcript of that particular class to be added to your GPA calculations even if I have submitted my application earlier?

I believe you can make edits and it would be reviewed at the academic update. However, people usually have already been invited to interview by then.

PS what class are you taking that ends in mid September?

I believe you can make edits and it would be reviewed at the academic update. However, people usually have already been invited to interview by then.

PS what class are you taking that ends in mid September?

Not all schools...I didn't get invited for an interview until December for one of my schools. And another school I got accepted to doesn't do interviews and accepted me late February. It all depends from school to school and on your application in terms of time frames for deadlines and such.

As for the class you are taking, you can make edits and when you apply, you can say that a class is 'in progress' and then go back and change it when you complete the course. You might have to send transcripts before and after though I would imagine.. I would contact a few of your top schools just to check though!

I am planning to take at this College where they offer weekend class for one month. I am not sure if you are familiar with but its Southern California University of Health Science. They have accelerated program for science courses.

Not all schools...I didn't get invited for an interview until December for one of my schools. And another school I got accepted to doesn't do interviews and accepted me late February. It all depends from school to school and on your application in terms of time frames for deadlines and such.

As for the class you are taking, you can make edits and when you apply, you can say that a class is 'in progress' and then go back and change it when you complete the course. You might have to send transcripts before and after though I would imagine.. I would contact a few of your top schools just to check though!

Thnks for your comment...I will go ahead do this. But as long as I knew We are only able to make changes during January and Feb...when PTCAS opens up to record the Fall semester grade. If they can still add my class grade in the middle of the Fall semester that would be great. Let's see....But thnx though!

Members don't see this ad :)
If one of your class ends in mid Sept. Does PTCAS accept a transcript of that particular class to be added to your GPA calculations even if I have submitted my application earlier?

If you submit your PTCAS application before your class ends, you won't be able to update it until the Academic Update period starts in December. That's when you also submit your updated transcripts for PTCAS to verify.

There is a definite advantage to applying to a program early if they fill a significant part of their class from the early applicants. It's worth doing a bit of research on your prospective schools to see whether it is necessary to apply early (or worth applying at the regular deadline). During this cycle, I unknowingly applied to two programs that had nearly filled their classes from early & internal applicants, which was a frustrating waste of time & money.

Are you referring to early admission or just applying early? I applied early to most and early admission by default to a few because of this.Most of the schools I heard back from were 2 to 4 months and some have been 6 months. Yes 6 months after I sent in the official application. I heard from a few schools that offered early interviews in about November and December. I guess what i am saying is its a slow slow process. I got an acceptance letter from a school on April 12th and the program starts in early June. I can say if you really are a competitive applicant and have your heart set on one school then apply early and lock down a spot but if your stats are so-so it may not hurt to wait rather than rush your entry essay either but overall in my opinion. Apply Early and apply often to many schools and let the admission committees sort out the rest.

Good luck

Question, I was under the impression that applying early decision limited you to applying to one school. Is this correct? It seems like many of you applied early decision and still applied to other schools on the regular schedule. I'd love some clarification here!

Thanks,

Joe

Question, I was under the impression that applying early decision limited you to applying to one school. Is this correct? It seems like many of you applied early decision and still applied to other schools on the regular schedule. I'd love some clarification here!

Thanks,

Joe

You can apply to as many as you want. If you apply early decision to a school and get accepted, that is a binding contract and you have to enroll there.

You can apply to as many as you want. If you apply early decision to a school and get accepted, that is a binding contract and you have to enroll there.
I'd say it depends on the school. Not all schools operate that way

I'd say it depends on the school. Not all schools operate that way

Early decision is a binding contract for all schools that use it through ptcas. I believe the deadline for early decision is in mid August sometime. If you get rejected from the school you applied to as early decision you are free to apply to whichever schools you want.

Early decision is a binding contract for all schools that use it through ptcas. I believe the deadline for early decision is in mid August sometime. If you get rejected from the school you applied to as early decision you are free to apply to whichever schools you want.
Well, I did not use ptcas when I applied that's why I said it depends on the school.

If you really love a school and are 100 percent sure you want to go there then by all means apply early decision.

However, if you are still on the fence then just get your application materials ready in July and submit as soon as possible. This will give you the best chance at schools that have rolling admissions.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks,

Joe

In PTCAS, you can only apply to one school through the official Early Decision process, and if you are accepted then you must attend that school. However, some schools that do not use PTCAS also offer early decision admission processes. That might be what folks are talking about here. For example, last year I applied to a non-PTCAS school through early decision, and additionally applied to two PTCAS schools through regular decision.