Is it better to...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makeitbrahs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Go to a less prestigious school (CSU) and obtain better grades (Say, a 3.9-4.0) there, or go to a more prestigious one (UC) and obtain lesser grades (Say, a 3.3-3.6)? Assuming the same MCAT score.

I am having trouble deciding which school to go to (if I get accepted). My cousin had a 4.3 gpa in high school but is struggling with a 3.3 gpa in UCLA. She tells me that in order to succeed there, you have to study the entire day. On the other hand, my other cousin who had a 3.2 gpa in high school says it's super easy at CSLB and has a 4.0. Which makes sense due to my previous research on grade inflation at those schools.

UC are National Universities while CSU are Regional Universities, if that helps at all. They are both in the top of school rankings. (UCB and UCLA are #1 and #2, while CSLB, CSC, and CSF are #4, #5, and #6 respectively.)
[From: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ ]

So should I go for a higher gpa at a lower-tier school or a lower gpa at a high-tier school? Honestly, my cousin with the 4.3 is super smart AND disappeared off the face of the earth, so I don't feel as if I'd succeed (3.5+ gpa) in a UC.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to a less prestigious school (CSU) and obtain better grades (Say, a 3.9-4.0) there, or go to a more prestigious one (UC) and obtain lesser grades (Say, a 3.3-3.6)? Assuming the same MCAT score.

I am having trouble deciding which school to go to (if I get accepted). My cousin had a 4.3 gpa in high school but is struggling with a 3.3 gpa in UCLA. She tells me that in order to succeed there, you have to study the entire day. On the other hand, my other cousin who had a 3.2 gpa in high school says it's super easy at CSLB and has a 4.0. Which makes sense due to my previous research on grade inflation at those schools.

UC are National Universities while CSU are Regional Universities, if that helps at all. They are both in the top of school rankings. (UCB and UCLA are #1 and #2, while CSLB, CSC, and CSF are #4, #5, and #6 respectively.)
[From: http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ ]

So should I go for a higher gpa at a lower-tier school or a lower gpa at a high-tier school? Honestly, my cousin with the 4.3 is super smart AND disappeared off the face of the earth, so I don't feel as if I'd succeed (3.5+ gpa) in a UC.

this has been discussed heavily. but go where you will be happiest, and have the opportunity to do some meaningful EC's. That being said, you should go where your GPA can be highest.

Both your cousins are being ridiculous.

I agree with the above poster... if happiness is the same at both school, brand name CERTAINLY will not compensate for a 0.4+ GPA difference, so go to CSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
this has been discussed heavily. but go where you will be happiest, and have the opportunity to do some meaningful EC's. That being said, you should go where your GPA can be highest.

Thank you. Sorry about that, but I've been searching for CSU and UC on this site but didn't come up with much of a comparison. Just general, "Do well, get in", without taking into account the difference in difficulty or grade inflation.

I find it funny that the ranked 2, 3, 4, HS in California have 95%+ minority enrollment. Because I go to the #3 school and know the #2 school and we're literally ALL Asians. I guess we do fit that stereotype...

What is a "meaningful" EC? Research? Internships? Shadowing? (Kidding about the last one)

Both your cousins are being ridiculous.

I agree with the above poster... if happiness is the same at both school, brand name CERTAINLY will not compensate for a 0.4+ GPA difference, so go to CSU.

I have lots of friends going to both schools currently and others who plan to go there, so I doubt "happiness" will be an issue since I'll have tons of friends.
I actually think that my "happiness" would be hindered if I couldn't get into a med school, since it's been my dream to be a doctor since 9th grade.

I used to worry about school prestige in HS. I thought I HAD to go to Michigan or Michigan State. Once you start school I think you'll realize that all of those rankings mean so much less than you think they do. My university doesn't have national prestige, but I have awesome professors, I'm learning a lot, I'll get a great GPA, and I'm at a place where I can do tons of meaningful EC's. Additionally, there are a plethora of hospitals around Detroit to choose from to volunteer/work at. There are so many ways I can get involved where I go to school.

Don't worry about the rankings.

+0.4 GPA wins, end of discussion. Are two anecdotal accounts enough to determine that the same amount of work ceteris paribus yields a 0.4 GPA difference? Well...

For what it's worth, I know someone who went to a state school (CA). The first time she applied, she was blatantly told by higher tier medical schools that the high GPA she earned there was meaningless. It was only after she completed a post-bacc at a prestigious university and reapplied that she was accepted.

For what it's worth, I know someone who went to a state school (CA). The first time she applied, she was blatantly told by higher tier medical schools that the high GPA she earned there was meaningless. It was only after she completed a post-bacc at a prestigious university and reapplied that she was accepted.

He has a point. You'll still probably be fine applying to in-state schools. Michigan's med school (in-state for me) picks many applicants from low-tier feeder schools. Some of the schools are really small too. Obviously the applicants from these types of schools are being preferred over hundreds of applicants from prestigious schools.

Presumably she bombed the MCAT or had some other red flag. They'll deflate it a bit but not drop you below an acceptance unless you were at best borderline to begin with.

I used to worry about school prestige in HS. I thought I HAD to go to Michigan or Michigan State. Once you start school I think you'll realize that all of those rankings mean so much less than you think they do. My university doesn't have national prestige, but I have awesome professors, I'm learning a lot, I'll get a great GPA, and I'm at a place where I can do tons of meaningful EC's. Additionally, there are a plethora of hospitals around Detroit to choose from to volunteer/work at. There are so many ways I can get involved where I go to school.

Don't worry about the rankings.

Okay, thank you.
+0.4 GPA wins, end of discussion. Are two anecdotal accounts enough to determine that the same amount of work ceteris paribus yields a 0.4 GPA difference? Well...

Well, I don't want to type up or list all the sources I have. Though lots of them are from college confidential and grade inflation articles so I don't know what significance that holds.

What was her MCAT?

I don't think going to a prestigious Med school would matter much, Just where you do your residency. Or am I sorely mistaken?

Why not try to go to the more prestigious school and get a great GPA? Going to a prestigious school and getting a great GPA are not mutually exclusive. It may have not worked for your cousin, but only you know how much you can and are willing to do to get the grades. Don't sell yourself short from the get go.

Why not try to go to the more prestigious school and get a great GPA? Going to a prestigious school and getting a great GPA are not mutually exclusive. It may have not worked for your cousin, but only you know how much you can and are willing to do to get the grades. Don't sell yourself short from the get go.

I have low confidence, that's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
In General the advice to ignore prestige and go for the better fit, etc. is right on target. You will thrive at a school you love.

HOWEVER - If I'm not mistaken, you're taking UC vs. Cal State right? Sorry, but for that particular situation, there's a well-known and widely-known difference.

In California, the post-secondary education system is tiered: Community Colleges, the Cal States, then University of California. This hierarchy is well-known in education circles throughout the country.

It is much less well-known if UCD is better or worse than UCLA or UCSD, but everyone knows UC anything > CS anything...

In General the advice to ignore prestige and go for the better fit, etc. is right on target. You will thrive at a school you love.

HOWEVER - If I'm not mistaken, you're taking UC vs. Cal State right? Sorry, but for that particular situation, there's a well-known and widely-known difference.

In California, the post-secondary education system is tiered: Community Colleges, the Cal States, then University of California. This hierarchy is well-known in education circles throughout the country.

It is much less well-known if UCD is better or worse than UCLA or UCSD, but everyone knows UC anything > CS anything...

So what do you suggest? You said there's a difference, but not by how much.

But what benefit does the student get from "prestige" exactly. Ok, the school is better known, but for what exactly? Graduating more successful students, are these research schools, better curriculums, better professors/facilities, strict entrance requirements, or better opportunities in general? Pardon me, but I'm not familiar with US universities in this regard and I don't completely understand what people mean when they say prestige in reference to a certain American school. Simply, why is it better?

But what benefit does the student get from "prestige" exactly. Ok, the school is better known, but for what exactly? Graduating more successful students, are these research schools, better curriculums, better professors/facilities, strict entrance requirements, or better opportunities in general? Pardon me, but I'm not familiar with US universities in this regard and I don't completely understand what people mean when they say prestige in reference to a certain American school. Simply, why is it better?

More prestigious schools are generally harder to get into and do provide students with more opportunities, like research and access to renowned faculty. These more prestigious schools don't necessarily have better professors but better facilities, sure.

Name recognition, outside of medicine, can help a resume catch a job employer's eyes.

Simplistically, Cal States are for the B students in high school, UCs are for the A students.

Another poster above gave the example of a CS student's high GPA being ignored until s/he completed a post-bac. That was California. Cal State vs UC are simply two different animals. They're intended to be. If you're planning on applying to medical schools in California, you'd be putting yourself at a real disadvantage. (Don't believe me? - Call and ask.)

Two years at CS + two at UC? Probably fine, assuming your grades don't drop post-transfer. But CS to med school? I'd compare it to taking all your pre-reqs at a CC. ADCOMs will notice and adjust accordingly.

Thank you. Sorry about that, but I've been searching for CSU and UC on this site but didn't come up with much of a comparison. Just general, "Do well, get in", without taking into account the difference in difficulty or grade inflation.

I find it funny that the ranked 2, 3, 4, HS in California have 95%+ minority enrollment. Because I go to the #3 school and know the #2 school and we're literally ALL Asians. I guess we do fit that stereotype...

What is a "meaningful" EC? Research? Internships? Shadowing? (Kidding about the last one)

I have lots of friends going to both schools currently and others who plan to go there, so I doubt "happiness" will be an issue since I'll have tons of friends.
I actually think that my "happiness" would be hindered if I couldn't get into a med school, since it's been my dream to be a doctor since 9th grade.

I have low confidence, that's all.

You first need to think about, "What makes a great college?" and "what do you want to get out of from college?"

Is it "just" higher GPA and "easier classes?" Then, in a heart beat, don't go to UC. But do you want to do a research abroad for a semester and you know UC has better programs, or UC has more well known professors doing research you like and you want to work with them? Then go to UC.

What type of person and scholar you want to become after 4 years? You need to know this before talking about schools.

Also, to me, happiness is not just about taking easy classes, getting a higher GPA, and feeling happy about yourself. My happiness in choosing college is about, "Are there sufficient programs and opportunities that I can take advantage of, learn more than otherwise, and become more matured by pursuing what I like?" I would rather be challenged, try to overcome it, and learn more things about myself. Because I would rather get challenged academically in college, so that I can handle anything in medical school.

If I were you, because of my heavier values in the meaningfulness and availability of particular ECs (internships, research, interdisciplinary projects, etc.), I would go with UC in a heart beat. I am not saying lower GPA is acceptable; I am saying that your values have to match well with what the school can offer.

You first need to think about, "What makes a great college?" and "what do you want to get out of from college?"

Is it "just" higher GPA and "easier classes?" Then, in a heart beat, don't go to UC. But do you want to do a research abroad for a semester and you know UC has better programs, or UC has more well known professors doing research you like and you want to work with them? Then go to UC.

What type of person and scholar you want to become after 4 years? You need to know this before talking about schools.

Also, to me, happiness is not just about taking easy classes, getting a higher GPA, and feeling happy about yourself. My happiness in choosing college is about, "Are there sufficient programs and opportunities that I can take advantage of, learn more than otherwise, and become more matured by pursuing what I like?" I would rather be challenged, try to overcome it, and learn more things about myself. Because I would rather get challenged academically in college, so that I can handle anything in medical school.

If I were you, because of my heavier values in the meaningfulness and availability of particular ECs (internships, research, interdisciplinary projects, etc.), I would go with UC in a heart beat. I am not saying lower GPA is acceptable; I am saying that your values have to match well with what the school can offer.

"What makes a great college?"
A small class size with helpful professors. (Unfortunately, CA publics don't have that and I can't afford to go to a private)
A group a friends that I know and can dorm with. (UC and CSU)
Friends that could give other advice. (Which professors are nicer? UC and CSU)
A college that will help me get into a Med school. (I don't know which one. I assume CSU because of an easier gpa. I'm not confident that I'll get a good gpa at a UC.)

"what do you want to get out of from college?"
A fun "college experience". Dorming, living on a tight budget, studying, all of that. (Living on my own sounds like fun. Or at least interesting.) Maybe a party here or there if I can afford it.

Is it "just" higher GPA and "easier classes?"
No. But that does play a large part into the "getting into med school" goal. The mean of med school gpa seems to be about 3.7.

I don't know. I'm not too worried about what I WILL become so much as HOW I will become it. (Trait-wise) As long as I don't have to stay awake at night on conflicting morals, I'm fine.
I want to be successful with proud parents. (Especially after what my older brother did...:( )

Do CSU really not offer enough resources for premeds?

Simplistically, Cal States are for the B students in high school, UCs are for the A students.

Another poster above gave the example of a CS student's high GPA being ignored until s/he completed a post-bac. That was California. Cal State vs UC are simply two different animals. They're intended to be. If you're planning on applying to medical schools in California, you'd be putting yourself at a real disadvantage. (Don't believe me? - Call and ask.)

Two years at CS + two at UC? Probably fine, assuming your grades don't drop post-transfer. But CS to med school? I'd compare it to taking all your pre-reqs at a CC. ADCOMs will notice and adjust accordingly.

Really?
Because
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1163202-csu-med-school.html said:
In California it would probably not help to graduate from a CSU since the UCs which have five of the state's seven medical schools hold students from CSUs in low regard. If you are willing to consider medical schools anywhere in the U.S. in most places it will not make a difference. If you get a high overall and science GPA (3.6 or better) at a CSU and an MCAT score of at least 30 you would probably have a good shot at my alma mater, Drexel University School of Medicine in Philadelphia, and other private schools on the East Coast in in the Mid-west as well. In the East and Midwest nobody knows or cares what, if any, difference exists between a UC and a CSU. I am sure that nearly all medical schools in the East would consider UCSD and SDSU to be basically equivalent.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=725625 said:
I know people who went to a CSU and got into UCLA and USC but they had solid MCAT scores to back up their high gpa. If you have a high gpa at a csu and a low MCAT score, it will not reflect too well. One of my interviewers even said that he believes CSU gpas are way inflated compared to UCs. So make sure you do well in your MCAT and do not leave the adcom room to question it.
I live in California and am aware of the higher education heirarchy and it is possible that the UC medical schools would rather take their own graduates than graduates from CSUs. You need to apply broadly and will not be stigmatized for coming from a CSU in the rest of the country. In Philadelphia, where I went to medical school, I can assure you that nobody knows nor cares what the difference is between a UC and a CSU.
On the other hand if you are applying to private medical schools in the East and Midwest I do not think it would make that much difference whether you went to a UC or a CSU. Although I currently practice medicine in California I went to medical school and got my MD in Philadelphia. While the schools there have heard of UC Berkeley and UCLA they are otherwise pretty hazy about California's system of higher education, are totally unaware of the sharp distinction the state makes between the roles of the UCs and CSUs and for example would not be aware that there is any difference between between how SDSU and UCSD operate. They certainly will not see any difference between CSULB, SJSU, Cal Poly Pomona and Sacramento State University on one hand and UC Riverside, UC Merced, UC Santa Cruz and UCSB on the other any, more than they would make a distinction between the University or Oregon and Oregon State University.

For med school, I don't plan on staying in California. I'm only staying in instate for undergrad so that I don't burden my parents as much. But to be honest, I doubt I'd get into med school if I only applied to the 7 schools in Cal.

A small class size with helpful professors. (Unfortunately, CA publics don't have that and I can't afford to go to a private)
A college that will help me get into a Med school. (I don't know which one. I assume CSU because of an easier gpa. I'm not confident that I'll get a good gpa at a UC.)

A fun "college experience". Dorming, living on a tight budget, studying, all of that. (Living on my own sounds like fun. Or at least interesting.) Maybe a party here or there if I can afford it.

No. But that does play a large part into the "getting into med school" goal. The mean of med school gpa seems to be about 3.7.

I don't know. I'm not too worried about what I WILL become so much as HOW I will become it. (Trait-wise) As long as I don't have to stay awake at night on conflicting morals, I'm fine.
I want to be successful with proud parents. (Especially after what my older brother did...:( )

It sounds like confidence is what is holding you back. Being afraid is only natural since going to college is a major change from high school. However, don't let that lack of confidence hold you back. You may regret it later. Like I said, don't sell yourself short.

I came from a rinky-dink high school, but I ended up getting accepted to a moderately competitive liberal arts college. I knew it was going to be a challenge for me since I didn't study much in high school, but I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

During my freshman year, there were many times I regretted my decision. I thought getting a good GPA at my local state school would have been way easier than getting a good GPA at my LAC. I was so scared that I told myself that I would be happy with a 3.3 and would be lucky to get a 3.5 :scared:

Come the end of first semester, to my surprise, I get a 3.7. Okay, I thought, not bad but it was probably a fluke. I would be extremely lucky to maintain this. Then come end of second semester, I have a 3.8. At that point I realized that I was worried over nothing. Even now I laugh at my old self for being so afraid. Of course, the GPA didn't come without any hard work. I work my butt off to maintain my grades, but that doesn't mean I don't have a social life.

tl;dr Have faith in yourself. If you try hard and work hard, good results will come.

In a leadership conference a few years back, I heard a student said, "Don't let your academics get in the way of your education." GPA is important, I understand. But you are worrying about it too much. I met so many colleagues in college who have stellar GPA but don't know anything about anything. Please, don't be that person. Admission committees can tell when they interview you.

Do you have any particular interests and desires outside "having fun?" What do you like to pursue outside classrooms? Music? Sports? Research? Internship in industries? Study abroad? Travel?

I am not sure about enough resources. It depends on what resources you want. UC, I think, will offer more renowned professors, but I don't know if they are "nicer."

What defines being successful for you? Higher GPA? Taking advantage of "nice" professors? If this is the case, I would encourage you even more to UC, so hopefully your colleagues, professors, and new friends will tell you their definitions of being successful.

It sounds like confidence is what is holding you back. Being afraid is only natural since going to college is a major change from high school. However, don't let that lack of confidence hold you back. You may regret it later. Like I said, don't sell yourself short.

I came from a rinky-dink high school, but I ended up getting accepted to a moderately competitive liberal arts college. I knew it was going to be a challenge for me since I didn't study much in high school, but I decided to take the plunge and go for it.

During my freshman year, there were many times I regretted my decision. I thought getting a good GPA at my local state school would have been way easier than getting a good GPA at my LAC. I was so scared that I told myself that I would be happy with a 3.3 and would be lucky to get a 3.5 :scared:

Come the end of first semester, to my surprise, I get a 3.7. Okay, I thought, not bad but it was probably a fluke. I would be extremely lucky to maintain this. Then come end of second semester, I have a 3.8. At that point I realized that I was worried over nothing. Even now I laugh at my old self for being so afraid. Of course, the GPA didn't come without any hard work. I work my butt off to maintain my grades, but that doesn't mean I don't have a social life.

tl;dr Have faith in yourself. If you try hard and work hard, good results will come.

+1.

Please go with UC, OP. If you know you will struggle academically, seek tutors, TAs, and professors. Getting into medical school is important but being successful in medical school is another thing. If you are afraid of lower GPA and attend an easier school to begin with, but fail in a medical school curriculum because they are way harder than your college, I don't think it will be what you want.

Surround yourself with smarter, better people and faculties and better facilities. You will change and mature by the time you graduate. I am saying this as someone who went to an easier, state college. If I can go back, I would have worked harder in high school and applied confidently for better, harder schools. But you already have a choice to go to UC. I would go to UC in a heart beat.

I know I wrote a lot, but I really don't want you to make the same choice that I made 4-5 years ago. I don't have regrets, sure, but it could have been better since now I realize what I should have wanted and how I've changed.

Go to the more prestigious school and work hard. You'll learn more and be a better med school applicant (and med student) for it. Be one of those people who's an A student anywhere because they do the work that's required to do well, always. You can do it. You just have to decide to do it and not let the fear of failure hold you back.

Most people in college don't try at all, even at amazing schools. Seriously. If you go to class, study, and put effort into assignments, you'll do well.

Do you have any particular interests and desires outside "having fun?"

I like active things. Fishing, frisbee, lifting, wrestling, et cetera.

What do you like to pursue outside classrooms? Music? Sports? Research? Internship in industries? Study abroad? Travel?

I've played guitar for 6 years, wrote a few songs, am working on an internship, and am studying over the summer. I used to rock climb, be a Captain of 2 competitive gaming teams, run, and a few other things.
I'm am ambivalent about traveling.

What defines being successful for you? Higher GPA? Taking advantage of "nice" professors? If this is the case, I would encourage you even more to UC, so hopefully your colleagues, professors, and new friends will tell you their definitions of being successful.

Higher gpa, having lots of resources/assets to draw from, being able to pursue my goal. I'm pretty straightforward; I don't care about "opportunities" if I have a goal to reach. Only once I reach that goal do I look for other things.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surround yourself with smarter, better people and faculties and better facilities. You will change and mature by the time you graduate. I am saying this as someone who went to an easier, state college. If I can go back, I would have worked harder in high school and applied confidently for better, harder schools. But you already have a choice to go to UC. I would go to UC in a heart beat.

I know I wrote a lot, but I really don't want you to make the same choice that I made 4-5 years ago. I don't have regrets, sure, but it could have been better since now I realize what I should have wanted and how I've changed.

I see. So be it, I'll try my best at a UC. How much more studying do you need to do for a UC course than an AP one in high school though? Because AP courses take quite a few hours for me (for each one).

Btw, thank you all for your help! I've been stressing over this for months and am having some of my stress alleviated.

Go to the more prestigious school and work hard. You'll learn more and be a better med school applicant (and med student) for it. Be one of those people who's an A student anywhere because they do the work that's required to do well, always. You can do it. You just have to decide to do it and not let the fear of failure hold you back.

Most people in college don't try at all, even at amazing schools. Seriously. If you go to class, study, and put effort into assignments, you'll do well.

See, the thought of "not trying" is foreign to me. I've never "not tried". (awkward double negative)

The scary part is "trying and failing" or rather "not being good enough". That's what worries me.

See, the thought of "not trying" is foreign to me. I've never "not tried". (awkward double negative)

The scary part is "trying and failing" or rather "not being good enough". That's what worries me.

That's something you'll have to get used to. One day, you will fail at something. I've heard of interviewers that ask "I see you've never failed anything, how will you deal with failure?"

In my opinion, you should take the risk. There was a link on Vanderbilt's site about where their medical students went for undergrad. Most went to pretty prestigious schools. Most less prestigious schools aren't that well known for their premed programs.

That's something you'll have to get used to. One day, you will fail at something. I've heard of interviewers that ask "I see you've never failed anything, how will you deal with failure?"

In my opinion, you should take the risk. There was a link on Vanderbilt's site about where their medical students went for undergrad. Most went to pretty prestigious schools. Most less prestigious schools aren't that well known for their premed programs.

I see. Thanks for your input. I think I'll go and struggle at a UC.

A little off-topic, but funny.
I'm talking to my friend (J) about this on chat.
J: flip a coin
heads is uc tails is csu
and whatever it lands is where you'll go
but while its in the air.. you'll know where you'll wanna go
cuz you'll hope it lands heads or tails
i always do that and it works well

Me: Haha oh gosh
in my head
"CSUC"

Now we're debating first thought vs second thought like

J: first decisions usually matter more
like when taking multiple choice and you're conflicted between a bubble you marked vs another bubble you think is the right answer
more than 70% of the time
the bubble you already marked is correct

Me: It's like getting a better deal
you think "Oh I'm gonna have a milkshake"
but then "I'm on a cut, better get a salad"
later at night, you feel good about yourself

Edit:

What would you consider a "good" gpa?

Last edited:
Do you have any particular interests and desires outside "having fun?"

I like active things. Fishing, frisbee, lifting, wrestling, et cetera.

What do you like to pursue outside classrooms? Music? Sports? Research? Internship in industries? Study abroad? Travel?

I've played guitar for 6 years, wrote a few songs, am working on an internship, and am studying over the summer. I used to rock climb, be a Captain of 2 competitive gaming teams, run, and a few other things.
I'm am ambivalent about traveling.

Higher gpa, having lots of resources/assets to draw from, being able to pursue my goal. I'm pretty straightforward; I don't care about "opportunities" if I have a goal to reach. Only once I reach that goal do I look for other things.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see. So be it, I'll try my best at a UC. How much more studying do you need to do for a UC course than an AP one in high school though? Because AP courses take quite a few hours for me (for each one).

Btw, thank you all for your help! I've been stressing over this for months and am having some of my stress alleviated.

Studying for AP will be quite different from how to study for college courses. Sure, you might take more time studying for college courses, but you also have so much resources around you to help you out. You won't be the only freshman or whatever struggling with something. There will be other people who want to seek for more help, so don't worry.

Okay, so you like active sports and extracurriculars. Does UC have those opportunities for you to get involved in? If not, does it have enough resources there for you to create a club and lead?

Do you have other interests besides being active? What are your bigger passions? What is your lifelong goal or value that you want to pursue beyond attending a medical school?

Do you think that having better facilities and faculties will help you get "having lots of resources/assets to draw from?" What type of assets and resources do you mean?

To reach a goal, you need to have opportunities along the way, so that you can take them, learn, and flourish. Without opportunities like great research and etc., reaching a goal (attending a medical school) will be quite difficult. And I am telling you, reaching a goal is just as important as the path you walk to reach it. Pursue the biggest goal and passion you have, so large that the goal of getting into a medical school seems so small and trivial. If you can do that, getting into medical school will follow. One of my leadership conferences had this guest speaker and he said something like, "Have a passion that is so large and beautiful that make you cry whenever you think about it."

It's normal and natural to think that way. I was like that as well.

Failure is integral to success. I know it sounds cliche but it's really true. Getting a F in one of my high school classes was very meaningful to me and took several years to learn how to overcome this failure. You can tell a lot about people when they fail. Being good enough also includes how you dealt with failures, not about how well you "avoid" failures because you are so afraid. You will, and all of us too, fail someday somehow.

Now ask this: Would you like to fail in college and have enough time and supports to learn how to overcome it? Or would you like to fail in medical school feeling like it's already too late? I would take the former any day. I'm glad that you chose UC.

Do you have other interests besides being active? What are your bigger passions? What is your lifelong goal or value that you want to pursue beyond attending a medical school?

I don't know yet. I haven't thought that far, unfortunately.

Do you think that having better facilities and faculties will help you get "having lots of resources/assets to draw from?" What type of assets and resources do you mean?
People. Teachers, TA, Tutors, Upperclassmen, etc. I don't want to learn everything from a computer screen or a book.

To reach a goal, you need to have opportunities along the way, so that you can take them, learn, and flourish. Without opportunities like great research and etc., reaching a goal (attending a medical school) will be quite difficult. And I am telling you, reaching a goal is just as important as the path you walk to reach it. Pursue the biggest goal and passion you have, so large that the goal of getting into a medical school seems so small and trivial. If you can do that, getting into medical school will follow. One of my leadership conferences had this guest speaker and he said something like, "Have a passion that is so large and beautiful that make you cry whenever you think about it."

That... will take some thinking. I don't know yet.

Failure is integral to success. I know it sounds cliche but it's really true. Getting a F in one of my high school classes was very meaningful to me and took several years to learn how to overcome this failure. You can tell a lot about people when they fail. Being good enough also includes how you dealt with failures, not about how well you "avoid" failures because you are so afraid. You will, and all of us too, fail someday somehow.
Yes, that makes sense. I guess I'm worried because I haven't failed yet. I score high on tests, won first place in State and National level tournaments for kickboxing, placed well on gaming leagues, etc.
But I guess it's a learning experience.

Now ask this: Would you like to fail in college and have enough time and supports to learn how to overcome it? Or would you like to fail in medical school feeling like it's already too late? I would take the former any day. I'm glad that you chose UC.

True. But if you fail in college, doesn't that mean you won't even make it to med school? Which means that you failed at 2 goals (college and med school) instead of 1 (med school)

Thanks for your comprehensive posts. They make a lot of sense (much more so than my petty "fears"). Maybe one day I could be as wise as all of you on this forum.

In California it would probably not help to graduate from a CSU since the UCs which have five of the state's seven medical schools hold students from CSUs in low regard..

Very true. Don't underestimates this OP

If you are willing to consider medical schools anywhere in the U.S. in most places it will not make a difference. If you get a high overall and science GPA (3.6 or better) at a CSU and an MCAT score of at least 30 you would probably have a good shot at my alma mater, Drexel University School of Medicine in Philadelphia, and other private schools on the East Coast in in the Mid-west as well. In the East and Midwest nobody knows or cares what, if any, difference exists between a UC and a CSU. I am sure that nearly all medical schools in the East would consider UCSD and SDSU to be basically equivalent.

This I disagree with. California's higher education system is widely known throughout the country in higher education circles, so the *academic* members of the ADCOM will be very aware of the UC/CSU distinction. The student interviewers, unless they ever lived in CA, may not know at all. The people who are saying it doesn't make a difference are all undergraduates from other states, right?

You're a student athlete -- Would you choose to play on a less-competitive sports team just so you could be a starter? If you're playing for fun - sure. It's definitely more fun to start on a crappy team playing other crappy teams then to sweat your ass off in two-a-days to start 'sometimes' on a competitive team. That 400 batting average feels pretty good. But you're aiming for the big leagues. Are the scouts even scouting your second-rate team? What will they think of your 400 against small-time pitchers? If you're truly not a good enough player to go pro, isn't it better to find out sooner? While you can still get that good college education?

Just like an athlete trains his body, you'll want to train your mind while at college. Develop your critical thinking skills, hone your ethics, debate ideas -- really stretch. You're going to need the superior training and more competitive experience. And if you can't perform up to med school admissions standards at a UC, you need to know about it while you still have time to shift to Plan B.

Comments below:

I don't know yet. I haven't thought that far, unfortunately.

That's perfectly fine. I didn't have all the answers when I was a freshman. Don't worry. That's why you need to get yourself immersed in great people and facilities, so that you can learn how they pursued their goals and values.

People. Teachers, TA, Tutors, Upperclassmen, etc. I don't want to learn everything from a computer screen or a book.

I think you already know which college has better quality of people and teachers.

That... will take some thinking. I don't know yet.

That's alright. I was like that too. Don't worry. You'll learn as you progress forward. Hopefully you will find someone who has similar interests and values like yours and can exemplify how s/he pursued them, so that you can at least see how it can be done

Yes, that makes sense. I guess I'm worried because I haven't failed yet. I score high on tests, won first place in State and National level tournaments for kickboxing, placed well on gaming leagues, etc.

Oh my god. If I did that in high school, my parents would be so happy that they would have bought me an audi, even a house even though we are only middle class. The point is, there will be a day when you won't be the 1st place anymore. Some people might not even see that as a failure, but you will learn how to overcome it. Fear is a choice. You already accomplished so much that I don't see any reason that you have to be worried about anything.
But I guess it's a learning experience.

True. But if you fail in college, doesn't that mean you won't even make it to med school? Which means that you failed at 2 goals (college and med school) instead of 1 (med school)

We need to get you connected with other SDNers with upward trends. When I said, failure is fine in college, I don't mean that you fail every single semester. You learn different strategies, like what you do in gaming, to figure out how to go pass that failure and be confident. This failure doesn't have to be a freshman semester filled with Ds and Fs. You are smart enough to do well in gaming, so I am sure you'll figure out things even before you reach that stage.

Let me ask this as someone who also have played a lot of gaming for a number of years: Have you ever been afraid of practicing just because your opponent has a higher ranking and you don't want to lose? How long did it take you to learn and come up with different strategies to beat that opponent? Apply this to college: How long do you think it will take for you to learn, cope, and move on after your failure in classes or whatever? Usually, the answer is not 3-4 years. In my high school case, it took several years because it required change in my personality, but usually failures in classes are more about time management and study habits. Seek a mentor and tutor. You will change and grow.

Thanks for your comprehensive posts. They make a lot of sense (much more so than my petty "fears"). Maybe one day I could be as wise as all of you on this forum.

Last edited:
Coming out of high school, I knew that I wanted to be a doctor. Other factors were involved, but senior year, I was deciding between a state school and an ivy league school. I chose the state school because I knew I would succeed there, which I did, and am in medical school now. It worked out great, but if I were to go back, I wouldn't have based my decision on that at all. It's a slightly different situation for you, but in my opinion, do not worry very much about this consideration. Good luck with your decision!

Coming out of high school, I knew that I wanted to be a doctor. Other factors were involved, but senior year, I was deciding between a state school and an ivy league school. I chose the state school because I knew I would succeed there, which I did, and am in medical school now. It worked out great, but if I were to go back, I wouldn't have based my decision on that at all. It's a slightly different situation for you, but in my opinion, do not worry very much about this consideration. Good luck with your decision!
+1
Well said Mr President.

OP,
Name and Prestige will be thrown into the garbage the very first morning your application is received by the committee.
Cheers.

Well, if you are a productive and self-driven student, I am sure you can succeed anywhere. My state school was great as well, but I felt many times that it had insufficient opportunities to suffice my appetite.

It's up to you, OP. I think I already said everything I wanted, but like I said, it depends on what resources you seek from college. If you want to intern at WHO, not just for medical school app, but for your interests, sure I think it's easier in a more prestigious school. The amount of resources in college plays a role in the quality of your ECs, but like the posters said above, people from state schools can succeed as well.

Good luck!

Okay, thank you all for your input.
I'm going to read, reread, and ruminate on this for a while before deciding.

I have time anyways. I'm not going to college yet.

Why wouldn't you?

I haven't read all of the replies, but whatever you decide, be prepared to explain why you made that decision in an interview. Of course, you can't say "because it was an easier place to get a good GPA and that's what medical schools want."

In my opinion, your priorities for college are in the wrong place. You don't want to base the decision for where you spend four of the most important years of your life simply off what you think is the easier path to medical school. Go to the school that is going to make you a better, more developed person. I faced a similar decision out of high school being up for a full ride to an easy school and although I likely could have made a 4.0 there, I am much more proud of the 3.7 for which I worked hard at a top state school and found that being around other intelligent people challenged me to better myself. I know for a fact I would not be as well-rounded of an applicant now if I had taken the easy road out. Missing out on that scholarship was a huge blessing in disguise.

All of this is simply my opinion, but while a school's prestige won't make up for a large GPA gap, a better school will better prepare you for your future.

I haven't read all of the replies, but whatever you decide, be prepared to explain why you made that decision in an interview. Of course, you can't say "because it was an easier place to get a good GPA and that's what medical schools want."

In my opinion, your priorities for college are in the wrong place. You don't want to base the decision for where you spend four of the most important years of your life simply off what you think is the easier path to medical school. Go to the school that is going to make you a better, more developed person. I faced a similar decision out of high school being up for a full ride to an easy school and although I likely could have made a 4.0 there, I am much more proud of the 3.7 for which I worked hard at a top state school and found that being around other intelligent people challenged me to better myself. I know for a fact I would not be as well-rounded of an applicant now if I had taken the easy road out. Missing out on that scholarship was a huge blessing in disguise.

All of this is simply my opinion, but while a school's prestige won't make up for a large GPA gap, a better school will better prepare you for your future.

Nobody will ask him why he picked one upgrad over another. Even if for some weird reason they will an answer like "I liked their campus better as high school student" will suffice.