Is it difficult to get into compounding/nuclear pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McPharmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in compounding and nuclear pharmacy. I was wondering how difficult is it to find a position in one of these areas?

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in compounding and nuclear pharmacy. I was wondering how difficult is it to find a position in one of these areas?

pretty mo****in hard.

but don't let it stop ya.

I know of one nookyoolar pharmacist on SDN: SpirivaSunrise. She may not be able to answer your question, but she's the most logical person to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's not really any more difficult than any other area. you just apply for a job by sending in a resume.. however few nuclear labs have interns, according to my boss (supposedly only a handful of our 100+ locations have interns). you also have to work at 1am or 2am during the school year, which can be a pain.. but well worth it in the end..

dont know much about compounding pharmacies.. but again there are only maybe a handful of compounding pharmacies in a given metro area, compared to hundreds of retail locations.

Work on your resume. I feel like my hospital experience helped me to get my nuclear job. That may be a good place to start since hospital internships seem far more numerous than nuclear or compounding... And the compounding experience you get at a hospital will be far more extensive than working in retail ( i think,.. can anyone tell me if retail does much compounding?)

Last edited:
And the compounding experience you get at a hospital will be far more extensive than working in retail ( i think,.. can anyone tell me if retail does much compounding?)

I live in a small city in Northern California and I only know of one community pharmacy that does any kind of compounding at all and that is what they focus on. The last time I went there to get a prescription filled, they had flyers about some law that big pharma was pushing to prohibit community based compounding pharmacies. Don't know many details on either side of the debate, or if it is still being pushed (it was a year or two ago)

Last edited: