Medical Is it dumb of me to choose one school over another solely because of the deposit (WesternU vs Touro-CA)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am in the middle of the application cycle for matriculation in 2021 as a CA applicant. I have the good fortune of holding two DO acceptances to both Western University (Pomona) and Touro-CA. Touro-CA wants a non-refundable $2,000 deposit by 11/13 while Western does not require the first half of their deposit ($1000) until 12/15. I have researched both of these schools and it seems that opportunities would be similar if I attended either one. I would be perfectly happy completing my medical education at either institution if it came down to these two options only.

However, I have had 4 MD interviews and should receive the results of 2 of them (the other 2 are non-rolling schools which will release in mid-late December) before the WesternU deadline but not before the Touro-CA deadline. As I'm waiting for the results of MD interviews, I am planning on declining my Touro-CA acceptance solely to avoid paying the deposit. I feel strange turning down an acceptance purely for monetary reasons. Is this a stupid decision on my part or does it make sense to do so?
As you already have the Western accept, it's OK to turn down Touro-CA, unless you're dying to go the SF Bay Area.

Despite the hefty deposits, I view these as insurance, and you'll make back when you're a doctor. But obviously, cost can always be a concern, so, you won't be hurt by going solely with Western.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.