Is it easier to get into a school in your state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A professor that I was talking to was telling me that when his son was applying to optometry schools a few years ago, he found out that Ohio State had 98 slots open for in-state students and only 2 slots for others.

Is this true for all optometry schools and do you know if there's any way to find out this information about other schools?

Knowing this, his son didn't even apply to Ohio State (we live in PA).

Thanks.
RLK

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think the numbers are that tilted. Honestly, I would say apply everywhere you want whether you think you can get in or not. Now, if your total OAT score is poo then maybe you shouldn't, but otherwise do it! I didn’t think my grades and scores were high enough, but I got in places I didn’t think I would, and now looking back I wish I would have applied to Berkley. So go for it anyway! You will be sorry you didn’t if you don’t!!

Kristene9 said:
I don’t think the numbers are that tilted. Honestly, I would say apply everywhere you want whether you think you can get in or not. Now, if your total OAT score is poo then maybe you shouldn't, but otherwise do it! I didn’t think my grades and scores were high enough, but I got in places I didn’t think I would, and now looking back I wish I would have applied to Berkley. So go for it anyway! You will be sorry you didn’t if you don’t!!

Kristene9,

What were your OAT scores like? I was just curious what you actually needed to get into several schools. I've taken the OAT twice, but my score still isn't quite what I want it to be so I just signed up to take a Kaplan preparation course. I should have a good chance of getting in somewhere though if I can just get the scores up a little. My grades have been good and I have all of the recomendation letters sent to the schools that I applied to.

Thanks,
RLK

Members don't see this ad :)
The reason state schools don't have many slots for out-of-state students is because the state gives the school money for every student. This is why the tuition is so low, the state pays part of it. If you are a very average student, don't bother. Besides, isn't out-of-state tuition about the same price as the private schools (I actually don't know)? But if you really want a state school for some reason, and your GPA and OAT are high, go for it. You have nothing to lose but your appliction fee.

Good Luck!

RLK,
Check out your info before you bash Brutus the Buckeye. First of all, OSUCO only has 64-65 spots per year. Not 100! Secondly, OSUCO typically is compromised by only 2/3 people in state. Every year, 20 plus spots are filled by out of state applicants. It only took two minutes to do this "research". http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm
The only school that sucks for out of state applicants is MCO. They accept between 0-2 out of state people per cycle. My guess is that your "professor" is an optometry hater and his son is living off welfare.

RLK, you are the weakest link. Goodbye!

ohiostateboy said:
RLK,
Check out your info before you bash Brutus the Buckeye. First of all, OSUCO only has 64-65 spots per year. Not 100! Secondly, OSUCO typically is compromised by only 2/3 people in state. Every year, 20 plus spots are filled by out of state applicants. It only took two minutes to do this "research". http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm
The only school that sucks for out of state applicants is MCO. They accept between 0-2 out of state people per cycle. My guess is that your "professor" is an optometry hater and his son is living off welfare.

What the HELL? There are no negative comments about OSUCO in this forum. You have no right to attack another poster, especially when they never said anything bad.

I suggest you re-read the above posts and then apologize to the forum.

SUNY is a state university where the state resident/non-resident ratio is about 50:50 (although many more people from out-of-state apply). Also, they allow out-of-state students to become New York residents and start paying in-state tuition after one year.

Does anybody know exactly which schools are public schools, and also if any schools other than SUNY allow you to become a resident after one year?

I'm a bit confused, because PCO for example has an in state tuition, but that's not a state school, is it?

out of state at UHCO is MUCH cheaper than private. (at least 5k a year, which adds up) And in some case, even out of state students can get in-state tuition wavers as scholarships if they're competitive applicants. :D

Coney Eyeland said:
I'm a bit confused, because PCO for example has an in state tuition, but that's not a state school, is it?

PCO is private.. so I'm not sure what they're talking about. Any PCO students want to fill us in ??

cpw said:
PCO is private.. so I'm not sure what they're talking about. Any PCO students want to fill us in ??

Some state governments will support their residents going to PCO, but only a limited number. States like WV, PA, or NC I think are a few will take some financial burden, but unlucky for me, MD doesn't back their kids up. :rolleyes:

Hi,

You can get in state tuition at Berkeley after one year upon filling out some forms I believe.

rpames said:
What the HELL? There are no negative comments about OSUCO in this forum. You have no right to attack another poster, especially when they never said anything bad.

I suggest you re-read the above posts and then apologize to the forum.

ohiostateboy is right about OSU's stats, though, and some misleading stats were posted before

leelee said:
ohiostateboy is right about OSU's stats, though, and some misleading stats were posted before

A miss-stated stat about a school is a mistake that can just be correct. Ohiostateboy responed very aggressively and unprofessionally.

Members don't see this ad :)
ohiostateboy said:
RLK,

Wow, I guess I wont be applying for MCO--Ferris State.....2 applicants from out of state?---those odds are not good!

Hi,

I'm from MI and also applied and got into MCO. Although they have a low number of out of state students, perhaps it's because not many people applied in the first place (it's cold and located in a small town) or they decided to attend other schools after they applied.

Ning-Ju

Ning said:
Hi,

I'm from MI and also applied and got into MCO. Although they have a low number of out of state students, perhaps it's because not many people applied in the first place (it's cold and located in a small town) or they decided to attend other schools after they applied.

Ning-Ju

I'm also from MI and got into MCO. I believe not many out-of-staters get into MCO because the vast majority of applicants are in-state. Think about it, every pre-optometry student in MI applies to MCO, hoping to get the in-state tuition. I'm at Michigan State and we have had very poor replies from MCO about recruiting and visiting MSU to meet with the pre-optometry group. I can only assume they don't recruit and don't accept many out-of-staters because they get more than enough MI residents applying to fill most of the 33-34 spots.

RLK said:
Kristene9,

What were your OAT scores like? I was just curious what you actually needed to get into several schools. I've taken the OAT twice, but my score still isn't quite what I want it to be so I just signed up to take a Kaplan preparation course. I should have a good chance of getting in somewhere though if I can just get the scores up a little. My grades have been good and I have all of the recommendation letters sent to the schools that I applied to.

Thanks,
RLK

Hey,

I had a 330 total and a 330 science. My lowest was a 300 on physics (I thought it was all going to be newtonian physics, but I was wrong). I wasn't sure how good my scores were, but if you look at opt.org its about the average for every school other then Berkley (their's is like a 350). I took the Kaplan course before I took the test, and I think it helped me. (It might have helped me more if I would have studied more, but I guess that’s a given). I also had a 3.4 which is good but again not AMAZING. I think what really helped me out is all my shadowing and school related activates. I also did research as an undergrad (in myopia!! I lucked out on that!) I think the research REALLY helped me get into UAB. I would say if you want to apply to a school that has a research program like Berkley, UHCO, or UAB that research experience would look good.

Also when I took the Kaplan course I didn’t make above a 300 on any of the practice test. So if that happens to you don’t be discouraged.

Hope this Helps.

if you don’t know about this site you HAVE to check it out. Here is the link to the profile of every incoming class from last year. It shows tuition, how many seats for instate and out of state are available for each school, average OAT and GPA. It’s WONDERFUL! But like i said earlier, even if you’re not quite up to the average and you really want to go somewhere, apply anyway!!!

http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm

Erin MB,

I agree with you...many out of state people probably don't apply. I think MCO representatives need to come visit our schools since so many people out there don't even know about optometry. But maybe that's a good thing so the industry doesn't get oversaturated.
Did you apply elsewhere? And which optometry school do you think you're going to? I think I met this other girl from MSU on the day of my interview, but I forgot her name.

Ning-Ju

Coney Eyeland said:
SUNY is a state university where the state resident/non-resident ratio is about 50:50 (although many more people from out-of-state apply). Also, they allow out-of-state students to become New York residents and start paying in-state tuition after one year.

Does anybody know exactly which schools are public schools, and also if any schools other than SUNY allow you to become a resident after one year?

This site has links to the optometry schools and tells which are private and which are public:

http://www.univsource.com/opto.htm

Kristene9 said:
Hey,

I had a 330 total and a 330 science. My lowest was a 300 on physics (I thought it was all going to be newtonian physics, but I was wrong). I wasn't sure how good my scores were, but if you look at opt.org its about the average for every school other then Berkley (their's is like a 350). I took the Kaplan course before I took the test, and I think it helped me. (It might have helped me more if I would have studied more, but I guess that’s a given). I also had a 3.4 which is good but again not AMAZING. I think what really helped me out is all my shadowing and school related activates. I also did research as an undergrad (in myopia!! I lucked out on that!) I think the research REALLY helped me get into UAB. I would say if you want to apply to a school that has a research program like Berkley, UHCO, or UAB that research experience would look good.

Also when I took the Kaplan course I didn’t make above a 300 on any of the practice test. So if that happens to you don’t be discouraged.

Hope this Helps.

Most schools that I've talked to said they are looking for 300 and above, so 330 would probably get you into many of the schools. My GPA is around a 3.3 or 3.4, which I thought was ok. When I call the schools that I've applied to, they usually only care to talk about the OAT scores though. I wouldn't be suprised if someone had a GPA of 2.0 and got 360 on the OAT and was accepted into more than 1 school. Oh well, I hope this Kaplan course helps me get scores like you have. Right now I have a 280, which probably isn't going to get me in anywhere this fall. I'll probably apply next year again if I can do better on the OAT. Thanks for the info.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i'm just wondering what you US students consider a 3.0/4.0 GPA. In Canada, a 3.0 ~ 75%. What about in US? I know some of you don't go percentage wise, but i'm just curious.

mystro said:
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but i'm just wondering what you US students consider a 3.0/4.0 GPA. In Canada, a 3.0 ~ 75%. What about in US? I know some of you don't go percentage wise, but i'm just curious.

A 3.0 is a B...which is around an 84-86 if I remember correctly...

What the heck. B is 84-86 in US?!?! OH my gosh. In Canada, a B- = 70-73 , B = 74-76 , B+ = 77-79
I wonder how it works when they convert us.

Yeah..appearantly, the US % systems is a bit....different from CDN school! In UBC, an A is defined as 85-89, a B is 72-75%. Heh...