Chance at getting into another school after suspension / dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted989644

Hello.

As explained in another thread, I was dismissed from optometry school at the end of my 1st Year Fall Semester for academic reasons - failed one lab and lecture. I attempted to appeal and that fell through - the committee upheld my suspension.

I was wondering how likely it could be to get back into another school since I'm applying again for the upcoming year. I've heard folks have done so since it seems that dismissal isn't a complete exclusion from the field (compare that to, for example, medicine), but I was wondering how likely that will be within the optometry system.

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

As explained in another thread, I was dismissed from optometry school at the end of my 1st Year Fall Semester for academic reasons - failed one lab and lecture. I attempted to appeal and that fell through - the committee upheld my suspension.

I was wondering how likely it could be to get back into another school since I'm applying again for the upcoming year. I've heard folks have done so since it seems that dismissal isn't a complete exclusion from the field (compare that to, for example, medicine), but I was wondering how likely that will be within the optometry system.

Thank you very much.
I'm not so sure about the upcoming year, but I think it could be feasible for the following year. I know this is anecdotal, but I have a friend who was dismissed from optometry school first year, spent a year taking some graduate level science classes, and then was accepted into a different program and is currently doing well in her third year. Granted, it's a newer school so they probably weren't as selective, but it's definitely possible if it's something you're passionate about. Hope that helps. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not so sure about the upcoming year, but I think it could be feasible for the following year. I know this is anecdotal, but I have a friend who was dismissed from optometry school first year, spent a year taking some graduate level science classes, and then was accepted into a different program and is currently doing well in her third year. Granted, it's a newer school so they probably weren't as selective, but it's definitely possible if it's something you're passionate about. Hope that helps. Best of luck to you!

Hmmmmm...okay.

Where did your friend take graduate-level science courses? I can't find those easily.

I'm hoping to get back into the game as soon as possible, which is why my applications are out. Hopefully, I get lucky - I do have plans to not repeat my mistakes again.

If it isn't too personal, why did your friend get dismissed? Failed a few classes or just did lackluster across the board?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmmm...okay.

Where did your friend take graduate-level science courses? I can't find those easily.

I'm hoping to get back into the game as soon as possible, which is why my applications are out. Hopefully, I get lucky - I do have plans to not repeat my mistakes again.

If it isn't too personal, why did your friend get dismissed? Failed a few classes or just did lackluster across the board?
she took them at a university relatively close to our school. If I remember correctly, she didn't fail any courses, but her overall GPA was lower than the minimum required by our school.

Reactions: 1 user
she took them at a university relatively close to our school. If I remember correctly, she didn't fail any courses, but her overall GPA was lower than the minimum required by our school.

Oh! Okay.

I failed two courses - a lecture and a lab.

My guess is that the person got a straight C? I got a mixture of Bs and Cs...aside from two Fs -_-.

Status
Not open for further replies.