is it easy....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmwannebe2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to get an F in organic chem 1 and 2

seems that my schools direct entry deal is that you have to maintain a 2.7 gpa but you can only get one F freshmen year and make it up....so...i am nervious :scared: anyways i was looking at the schedule and i think i will probably have a hard time in my second year in o. chem 1 and 2.

anyone get an F in that class? is it hard or easy? how is it?!?!
oh and would it be a good idea just to take o. chem 1 in the summer. so i don't have to freak out...next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it was pretty easy or at least not as bad as people made it out to be when telling me about it when I was a freshman. I think it's one of those subjects where it depends how you learn and what kind of teacher you have. I had a teacher that focused a lot on nomenclature so that wasn't bad at all. I managed to get an A in both and took both in the same summer. Don't know many people that actually got F's but D's and C-'s maybe.

pharmwannebe2 said:

seems that my schools direct entry deal is that you have to maintain a 2.7 gpa but you can only get one F freshmen year and make it up....so...i am nervious :scared: anyways i was looking at the schedule and i think i will probably have a hard time in my second year in o. chem 1 and 2.

oh and would it be a good idea just to take o. chem 1 in the summer. so i don't have to freak out...next year.

It really depends on your strength and weaknesses. For some, they have a hard time learning the concepts of Orgo 1, and for some, they have a hard time memorizing all the reactions of Orgo 2. But I think that if you have the diligence and patience to learn it, you should be fine!

For me personally, I don't like taking science classes in the summer, especially if it's PCAT related. I like the time to learn and process it, which helps me better prepare for the PCAT. But I know a lot of people who have done very well in the summer. Make sure you have a good professor - that really does matter!

Members don't see this ad :)
Utterdevotion said:
It really depends on your strength and weaknesses. For some, they have a hard time learning the concepts of Orgo 1, and for some, they have a hard time memorizing all the reactions of Orgo 2. But I think that if you have the diligence and patience to learn it, you should be fine!

For me personally, I don't like taking science classes in the summer, especially if it's PCAT related. I like the time to learn and process it, which helps me better prepare for the PCAT. But I know a lot of people who have done very well in the summer. Make sure you have a good professor - that really does matter!

ahhhh. i don't have to worry about the PCATs. i just have to worry about no getting an F in anything...cause they will automatically kick you out. and i usually am bad at grasping concepts til the 2nd time i take it.

Wordsworth301 said:
I thought it was pretty easy or at least not as bad as people made it out to be when telling me about it when I was a freshman. I think it's one of those subjects where it depends how you learn and what kind of teacher you have. I had a teacher that focused a lot on nomenclature so that wasn't bad at all. I managed to get an A in both and took both in the same summer. Don't know many people that actually got F's but D's and C-'s maybe.

thanks that is very helpful. those people in the dental forums were going on about their worst undergrad grades and many had F's in organic?! i was like how is a dental going to fail a class unless it is hard. but then again dentist aren't in it for chemistry lol.

I agree with Utterdevotion. Ochem come easy to some people and others struggle with it. So no ochem is not easy unless you have the knack for it. Nevertheless, it's still possible to do well in Ochem. You will not get an F unless you completely give up and have absolutely no clue. Besides, most professors give huge curves for Ochem because historically, many people do not do well. For example, if your total score was a C, you actually get a B. If you have a B, you'll get an A. Go to office hour often if you struggle with it.

DuocSi2010 said:
I agree with Utterdevotion. Ochem come easy to some people and others struggle with it. So no ochem is not easy unless you have the knack for it. Nevertheless, it's still possible to do well in Ochem. You will not get an F unless you completely give up and have absolutely no clue. Besides, most professors give huge curves for Ochem because historically, many people do not do well. For example, if your total score was a C, you actually get a B. If you have a B, you'll get an A. Go to office hour often if you struggle with it.

oh good. i love curves.

thanks.

The curves in my orgo classes were sometimes as much as 40 points. I got A's in the classes but am afraid I didn't learn enough. I don't want to get my butt kicked in pharm school because my orgo class was too easy! I don't think I really understood quite a few things until I started stdying for the PCAT.

i go to a CC and so far none of my sciences do curves :( principles of biology, gen chem 1 and 2, i heard no curve for botany, ochem 1 and 2...but for ochem 1 and 2 an A is 87% and above...so maybe thats the curve?

ttran01 said:
i go to a CC and so far none of my sciences do curves :( principles of biology, gen chem 1 and 2, i heard no curve for botany, ochem 1 and 2...but for ochem 1 and 2 an A is 87% and above...so maybe thats the curve?

Yes a slight curve.

pharmwannebe2 said:

It's easier to get an F than to get an A.

I thought it's was harder than general chemistry. But I also liked the subject matter much more, so it was a fair trade off for me.

I found ochem to be utterly boring...maybe that's why I struggled so much. Everytime I read the book it either put me to sleep or make me want to shoot the person that discovered ochem.

I thought it's easier than general chem (esp chem2). I had A's in both Org1 and Org2. For me, I don't think organic is that hard. It's just a little more time consuming, esp Org2. You have to learn a lot of reactions. Try to understand the mechanisms, instead of memorizing the reactions, it'll help a lot! Certain people makes it sound harder, but it's actually not that bad. It's just definitely not something you can cram the night before the exam. Keep up with the materials in class and u'll be fine.

Org Chem1 will be tough if you're sole strength is memorization. The first semester is a lot more understanding of concepts and learning new topics. I had a bit of trouble wrapping my mind around physical structures since I'm not a great visual thinker.

The second semester for my class was pretty much all memorization of reactions, their mechanisms and reagents.

I agree with a lot of people that it's a class that some people breeze through while others struggle. Also the difficulty counts on the professor. Some are jerks and some are super understanding and awesome. I had two professors who were generous with the curve and very approachable for help. If your professor falls into the jerk catagory find a good tutor ASAP if you're struggling.