Is it good idea to apply in early July?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gopi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple questions...I am trying to boost my sGPA by taking summer classes and also attempting to get more EC hours done. Summer classes end end of June and transcripts are available early July. Is it considered a little late to apply early July? Or is there a way I can apply in June and then be able to update my grades/ EC hours in July? When do med schools start looking at applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Earlier is better, but July is still very early for DO schools. It might take a bit longer to get verified, but you should be fine. A few courses probably won't make enough of a difference on your GPA to make a real difference, but applying in early July also probably won't make a big difference on where your app cycle.

You also could list that you are taking the courses and update schools when you have the grades. Not all schools accept updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would apply once those grades are already on your transcript. Grade updates on AACOMAS end up taking the same amount of time to verify (my grade updates actually took longer to verify than my primary application). I think it's best for schools to see what your updated GPA is to begin with rather than seeing it in an update. Just my thought process! Plus July is still quite early.

July is still really early for DO so you you'll be fine if you just wait until July to apply. I applied late October and ended up with 10 interviews with mediocre stats

Lets say I do apply early July after the 2 sumer classes end, but then i want to update my grades with the other 3 summer classes that end in end of August? Would I be able to do that? Should I do that?

I should have my MCAT scores by July 18th, so hoping my grades and everything else is verified, I'll be applying mid-July. I have had half a mind to move up my MCAT date and apply earlier, but like others said, stronger applications are more important. It's not my ideal time, but it'll have to do! I would think that you'd want to apply in July with some of the classes updated, and then update the others when available, but not wait on them to apply. Just my thoughts.

Lets say I do apply early July after the 2 sumer classes end, but then i want to update my grades with the other 3 summer classes that end in end of August? Would I be able to do that? Should I do that?
There's an academic update for AACOMAS beginning Sept. 1. You'll be able to send these grades into AACOMAS and have your GPA updated probably even before schools really get into reviewing. I say apply as early as possible (July for you) and then do the academic update when your other three classes are over. That's what I did, an admissions rep from my local COM suggested I do it this way because she said early app > more credits on my transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
Would applying to MD schools in late June be considered too late?

@gopi im in a similar situation, I'll be applying in July as well. What are your stats? Will a few science classes make an enormous difference?

@Donna Moss My stats are not very good. I would be going from sGPA of 2.99 too sGPA of 3.07 with the summer classes then end in june. With the summer classes that end in august I would go from sGPA of 3.07 to sGPA of 3.15. Honestly I have no hopes of getting in this cycle but you know some people are just lucky. Ive read postings of people getting in with low GPA and thats whats keeping me motivated to apply this cycle. Will be taking MCAT in April. Shooting for 510+ (if im lucky enough) Any advice? Do you think I have any chances?
Volunteering experience:
400 hours of CNA
60 hours of tutoring
70 hours of MD shadowing
LOR from : science professor, head unit RN from work, MD doctor, tutoring admin

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat as you, summer classes and all. Have you considered waiting another year (so 2 years between now and actually starting school?) I am considering a master's program, and clinical research + free health clinics to strengthen my application.

I'm in a similar boat as you, summer classes and all. Have you considered waiting another year (so 2 years between now and actually starting school?) I am considering a master's program, and clinical research + free health clinics to strengthen my application.

I really don't want to take a gap year thats why im trying to apply this cycle

Earlier is better, but July is still very early for DO schools. It might take a bit longer to get verified, but you should be fine. A few courses probably won't make enough of a difference on your GPA to make a real difference, but applying in early July also probably won't make a big difference on where your app cycle.

You also could list that you are taking the courses and update schools when you have the grades. Not all schools accept updates.

^ strongly concur. Earlier is always better, but July won't be an app killer by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile