Is it Hell?

ReardenMetal

Wanderer ;P
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I'm glad I finally found a forum where I can voice opinions and concerns in my pursuit of a medical career.

My questions are basically...what steps do I need to take to ultimately reach my goal? Where should I attend undergraduate (base the choice on cost or prestige)? What can I do in my senior year of high school to prepare for the "Hell" ahead? :p

~Is it really worth it?

Everything in my life is currently a blur. There are so many unknowns in terms of what I can expect in the medical field! My family is naturally dead set against it...stress, money, worry for their little baby. :rolleyes: And yet, I can't see myself doing ANYTHING else. I thrive on intellectual challenges, and ordinary day-to-day routines just aren't going to cut it.

~How much debt am I going to accrue by the end of medical school?

This is my BIGGEST worry. :( How do I cut back on costs? How can I earn money during the year and manage schoolwork at the same time?

Thanks for any help...and forgive the long post! :D Any tips or suggestions are welcome. I'm quite a hopeless newbie. *nods*

Members don't see this ad.

You're certainly not hopeless, just clueless for the time being. We'll change that for you.;)

I'm going to say to start off by reading the Important Aspire Threads and FAQ at the top of the forum, especially the "What Should I be Doing Now" thread that should be linked in there.

College isn't hell for most of us. For the most part, it's pretty enjoyable.

You will probably wind up with what sounds like a rather scary debt load of a few hundred thousand dollars by the end of med school. BUT you will also wind up making a salary that will enable you to pay that off in a timely manner.

I prefer to base the choice of undergraduate school on the final cost over prestige. That doesn't necessarily mean to only apply to the least expensive places. The final cost to you will be what has to come out-of-pocket after scholarships and the rest of the financial aid package is figured in. Sometimes a more expensive college can wind up being the less expensive option.

Read through those threads linked in the FAQ, and then continue to ask questions.

I agree. I chose a cheaper in-state school over prestige and I couldn't be happier. It's motivating me to do better in school. Good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
My advice would be to not plan out your future in detail before you need to. It is always good to think ahead and weigh options, but you don't have to decide NOW for certain what you are going to do after college. Try different things, explore your interests, etc. I know it seems like the world is a competitive place and in many ways it is, but at the same time if you love what you do and are good at it, a lot of the competitiveness part kind of disappears.

Take it from someone who plans way too much and worries about things that don't matter right now... DONT! I'm doing really good lately about only thinking about getting into undergrad... and you should focus on that too! I'm sort of stuck on cost as well but I'm trying not to worry about it until I get in to the schools. I'm EXCITED for undergrad. and even more excited for vet school... of course it will be hard... and "hell" but it is what you make it... so make it great!

Thanks for the threads, HumidBeing! I believe I'm fairly set in every category aside from shadowing...but I also don't stand out very much in anything, as our school is quite competitive. Is there any way to change that in one year? :eyebrow: I'm worried about my lack of leadership roles.

I see everyone prefers cost over prestige. And with a debt that high, I can see why! Just curious, is there anything in particular I should look for in a good college? Would a better college give me an extra leg up in applying to a good medical school, providing my grades hold up? And what exactly are the benefits of graduating from a good medical school as opposed to a cost-effective one?

Thanks, ylrebmik. :D I know I plan way too much, so I'll cut the zillion other questions I feel like asking! I'm quite excited myself--and quite nervous.

Thanks for the threads, HumidBeing! I believe I'm fairly set in every category aside from shadowing...but I also don't stand out very much in anything, as our school is quite competitive. Is there any way to change that in one year? :eyebrow: I'm worried about my lack of leadership roles.

I see everyone prefers cost over prestige. And with a debt that high, I can see why! Just curious, is there anything in particular I should look for in a good college? Would a better college give me an extra leg up in applying to a good medical school, providing my grades hold up? And what exactly are the benefits of graduating from a good medical school as opposed to a cost-effective one?

Thanks, ylrebmik. :D I know I plan way too much, so I'll cut the zillion other questions I feel like asking! I'm quite excited myself--and quite nervous.

I have to be the "other" opinion. I'm not saying prestige over money, but I will say that sometimes these are not mutually exclusive. Some of the best schools have the best financial aid programs. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton have very large endowments and can hand out ridiculous financial aid packages. If you qualify for financial aid (and most qualify for at least a little), attending could be significantly less expensive than your state school.

Get crackin' on your studies and ECs. Make sure to have all your ducks in a row for your college apps.

my Advice Would Be To Not Plan Out Your Future In Detail Before You Need To. It Is Always Good To Think Ahead And Weigh Options, But You Don't Have To Decide Now For Certain What You Are Going To Do After College. Try Different Things, Explore Your Interests, Etc. I Know It Seems Like The World Is A Competitive Place And In Many Ways It Is, But At The Same Time If You Love What You Do And Are Good At It, A Lot Of The Competitiveness Part Kind Of Disappears.

Qft.

I have to be the "other" opinion. I'm not saying prestige over money, but I will say that sometimes these are not mutually exclusive. Some of the best schools have the best financial aid programs. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton have very large endowments and can hand out ridiculous financial aid packages. If you qualify for financial aid (and most qualify for at least a little), attending could be significantly less expensive than your state school.

Get crackin' on your studies and ECs. Make sure to have all your ducks in a row for your college apps.

Thank you. You made that important point so much better than I did.

A student doesn't know the real cost of attending a college until after the Financial Aid Office presents the total picture. Don't let the price tag influence your initial decision on where to apply. Apply to schools that you think will be a good fit for you. Which schools those are will vary by student. Some will be happier at large institutions, and others at smaller. Each school has its strengths.

After you've gotten some acceptances, taken a deeper look into each institution, and reviewed your fin. aid packages, you can make a better informed decision.

Don't pick your college based on only your desire to pursue medicine. Many people will decide before age 22 that maybe medicine isn't the right thing for them. I'm not saying it won't be right for you, but don't plan out every aspect of your life (at age 17 or so, I'm guessing) based solely on becoming a doctor. College is an amazing time, and many people have a very good idea of what they want to do as a career before they go to college only to have a total change of heart (I'm one, never thought I'd want to do medicine until I was about 21. I know several other people who knew they were going to go into medicine and ended up doing other very rewarding and challenging things). Pick a school that has a strong pre-medical program but that also has lots of other programs to let you really explore things and figure out exactly what it is you want to do in life. And definitely pick somewhere you'll be happy. If school A is prestigious and has a great track record of getting people into medical school but you visit it and hate it, then please don't go there! Go where you'll be happy, you really can get into medical school from just about any u-grad. And the more you enjoy the environment of school the more likely you are to get the grades and put in the work necessary to get you to the next step.

Thank you. You made that important point so much better than I did.

A student doesn't know the real cost of attending a college until after the Financial Aid Office presents the total picture. Don't let the price tag influence your initial decision on where to apply. Apply to schools that you think will be a good fit for you. Which schools those are will vary by student. Some will be happier at large institutions, and others at smaller. Each school has its strengths.

After you've gotten some acceptances, taken a deeper look into each institution, and reviewed your fin. aid packages, you can make a better informed decision.

See my problem with applying to these schools is that looking at my grades and the school even if I get in.. the package won't be very high... and taking 35-60 dollars to pay for app fees is sort of ... expensive for me. ( I know... 35 dollars... but it adds up)

haha I've been going over and over in my head... small school vs. large school... city vs. country... and I don't know how I can choose without actually going to both and living there for some time.... grr.

First off, I'm glad I finally found a forum where I can voice opinions and concerns in my pursuit of a medical career.

My questions are basically...what steps do I need to take to ultimately reach my goal? Where should I attend undergraduate (base the choice on cost or prestige)? What can I do in my senior year of high school to prepare for the "Hell" ahead? :p
I see that you're an Ayn Rand fan. :)

I would say to start by not looking at the path ahead of you as "hell." If you approach college and medical school with the attitude that it's going to be hell, then it will be. You say you like a challenge. Well, med school is definitely that. It will test you physically, mentally, and emotionally. That doesn't mean that it's hell if it's what you really want to be doing. One person's hell is another's paradise. You can't know how you'll perceive it based on how someone else does.

Right now, start by getting yourself into a college where you feel that you can do well and get a good education. Cost is an important consideration if your family is neither independently wealthy nor poor enough to qualify for need-based aid. I chose to attend one of my state schools on a full tuition scholarship and had no debt afterward. In my state (FL), students with a certain GPA and SAT/ACT score can go to any of our state schools for free. Other states have similar programs, so you should check what deals are offered in your state. It's tough to beat a free college education!

~Is it really worth it?
Do you mean medical school? This will depend on you. Value is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Everything in my life is currently a blur. There are so many unknowns in terms of what I can expect in the medical field! My family is naturally dead set against it...stress, money, worry for their little baby. :rolleyes: And yet, I can't see myself doing ANYTHING else. I thrive on intellectual challenges, and ordinary day-to-day routines just aren't going to cut it.
Try to keep an open mind as others have said. Many people start out wanting to do one thing and end up doing another. When I was a senior in HS, I wanted to be a veterinarian. Once I got into college, I wound up falling in love with organic chemistry and went to graduate school. I had toyed with the idea of med school, but it wasn't what I wanted to do at the time. I wound up going back at the age of 31 and am now in my third year. There is no law saying that you must follow the straight and narrow path. Take some time during college to explore *all* of the interesting options out there.

This is my BIGGEST worry. :( How do I cut back on costs? How can I earn money during the year and manage schoolwork at the same time?

Thanks for any help...and forgive the long post! :D Any tips or suggestions are welcome. I'm quite a hopeless newbie. *nods*
You can probably work during college, but it is not likely that you will be able to work during medical school. Most students have all they can manage just to keep up with the medical school curriculum. There's no doubt that medical school is an expensive undertaking. As with colleges, some medical schools are better "bargains" for your tuition dollars than others are.

If you think there is a good chance that you will go to medical school, you will really need to be cost-conscious when choosing a college to avoid taking on excess debt. During college, you should not work during your first semester. You will need some time to adjust to the pace of college level work and to determine how much study time you need. Some people can manage to work part time during college, but others need more study time in order to do well. You should not work if it means that your grades will suffer as a result.

Best of luck to you. :)

Don't try to do everything at once and always be sure to keep some time for YOU. You need to have a social life or you'll go nutso. I agree with the others on cost over prestige - but Don't forget to factor in scholarships. I made a stupid mistake and overlooked a scholarship because I thought it would still be more expensive to go to that school - turns out I did not read the letter close enough and I passed up on all tuition and mandatory fees paid for me!!!! *cries* So my advice is READ CAREFULLY and DO THE MATH!!!! You also want to be happy where you are. It does not good picking either cost or prestige if you hate the place. *As a side note, chaper colleges are often smaller and the small class size is veeery nice.

As for cutting costs don't live on campus if you can get an apartment with a friend, ride your bike or wald instead of driving when you can, and yes it it more than possible to work while you are in undergrad (I don't know about Med school).
What can you do your senior year to prepare? HAVE FUN!!!! Enjoy your free time while you can, it's harder to find in college (though not impossible) esp if you plan to work during the school semesters.
Get involved in volunteer work now if you can. As well, being looking for any premed clubs at the college that you decide to go to and get involved in that.
As far as your parents go, I don't get why you say they are "naturally" against it? My parents have always done nothing but support my goals and most parents want their children to have a good career and applaud the choice to be a doctor...or so I thought. If they Are against it, just stay persistent and don't let them sway you if it is what you really want to do. Explain to them why you want to be a doctor and that while you understand their concern over the heavy workload, stress, debt, etc. that you need their support to make it eaiser. (and you might want to point out that even though you will get into a lot of debt, you will be making a lot of money lmao).
My last tip:
Spend lots of time on SDN!!!!!! :laugh:
Good Luck! :thumbup::luck::)

I see that you're an Ayn Rand fan. :)

I would say to start by not looking at the path ahead of you as "hell." If you approach college and medical school with the attitude that it's going to be hell, then it will be. You say you like a challenge. Well, med school is definitely that. It will test you physically, mentally, and emotionally. That doesn't mean that it's hell if it's what you really want to be doing. One person's hell is another's paradise. You can't know how you'll perceive it based on how someone else does.

Yes, I am an Ayn Rand fan. :) Her writing, aside from being inspiring, has a curious twist of romanticism and slight science-fiction with a basis in modernistic reality. How am I supposed to put that down? Do you read her works as well? (And I'd better cut that off-topic conversation before I'm reprimanded.)

I must admit I gave the wrong impression. :p Negativity is not my mind frame in terms of medical school--but I am aware that it is a long term, stressful, and hopefully equally rewarding commitment.

Right now, start by getting yourself into a college where you feel that you can do well and get a good education. Cost is an important consideration if your family is neither independently wealthy nor poor enough to qualify for need-based aid. I chose to attend one of my state schools on a full tuition scholarship and had no debt afterward. In my state (FL), students with a certain GPA and SAT/ACT score can go to any of our state schools for free. Other states have similar programs, so you should check what deals are offered in your state. It's tough to beat a free college education!

My family is in exactly that position. I am currently checking online sites to determine any possible ways to reduce cost. Unfortunately, I have no past friends or acquaintances with medical school experience, so in-depth school research is a must.

You can probably work during college, but it is not likely that you will be able to work during medical school.

Thanks for letting me know! I noticed on a thread here that it is possible to obtain a research job during freshman year of college, which would be a definite benefit. Thank you very much! Your post was tremendously helpful. :D

Don't try to do everything at once and always be sure to keep some time for YOU. You need to have a social life or you'll go nutso.

:eek: A social life?! Unfortunately, even in senior year of high school, I'm taking too many courses to hang out with friends. I know, I know, I need to enhance my social skills and communication...and perhaps realize I don't have to be the best in the year.

As far as your parents go, I don't get why you say they are "naturally" against it?

Well, I'm going to have to admit I've been officially diagnosed with OCD (mild enough not to warrant medication, and it was only diagnosed based upon an eating disorder) and anorexia nervosa (for which I was unfortunately hospitalized two years ago, but have never relapsed), so they are quite concerned about letting me go off on my own. :rolleyes: Would my less-than-stellar medical history in any way interfere with a path through medical school? :( Unfortunately, I can't go back...

Thank you everyone!

Yes, I am an Ayn Rand fan. :) Her writing, aside from being inspiring, has a curious twist of romanticism and slight science-fiction with a basis in modernistic reality. How am I supposed to put that down? Do you read her works as well? (And I'd better cut that off-topic conversation before I'm reprimanded.)

If this weren't the "Aspire" section, I'd make fun of you.

But I digress . . .

Well, I'm going to have to admit I've been officially diagnosed with OCD (mild enough not to warrant medication, and it was only diagnosed based upon an eating disorder) and anorexia nervosa (for which I was unfortunately hospitalized two years ago, but have never relapsed), so they are quite concerned about letting me go off on my own. :rolleyes: Would my less-than-stellar medical history in any way interfere with a path through medical school? :(

Yes and no. You will be required to disclose your history of physiciatric illness at various stages of your medical career. You may also be required to release records to various bodies, so make sure you keep copies of everything readily available.

That being said, there are many physicians with mental illness, and most are allowed to practice with minimal difficulty. Expect some level of periodic monitoring.

This forum is the mother of all pre-med forums.

Step 1: Relax
Step 2: Don't live every aspect of your life thinking about how it will affect your chances of getting into medical school.
Step 3: Don't get into trouble with the law (NO DUI)
Step 4: Don't worry about medical school right now, instead concentrate on finishing your senior year, play a sport, do some volunteer work at a local clinic, and apply to colleges.
Step 5: Chose a college that gives you the best chance FOR YOU to succeed. Think about location and access to resources. It is much easier to get distracted by the social life at some universities then others. If you are interested in research, I would advice not to go to a small liberal arts college. If you would like to work in the medical field while going to college, I would advice to become a CNA. This will help your ease into wha the medical field is like. I went to college with two people who decided not to be doctors after working as a CNA for a year. They instead applied to gradaute school to become a physican assitant (one got into school and another didn't...I hope this person still applies this year though). Major in what you would enjoy. There is nothing wrong with majoring in biology. The problem with a biology degree is being able to get a good job after college if you don't get into medical school your first try. Think about what makes you happy. If you enjoy being able to be in the outdoors, don't go to college in a large city (like New York and Boston).
Step 6: Get the best ACT and/or SAT score you can (I assume you already took it). Get the best GPA you can. Apply to colleges you would be interested in and go to the school that is the best FIT FOR YOU.

~Is it really worth it?
Your perspective in life is likely to change overtime. At 18 it may seem to be worth it. At 22 you may feel it isn't worth it for yourself as you have changed as a person. So explore your options and chose what you are the most interested in. I chose a medical career where I don't have to sacrafice my love for football. If I were to have become a doctor, I would not be as free to watch and go to football games as I can now.

You may think you are at a disadvantage of having your family against you wanting to become a doctor, but that is actually a good thing. Just be glad that they are not pushing you into becoming a doctor (I've seen a lot of Asian kids pushed into professional careers that they will suck at).

All people who spend time on this Web forum like intellectual challenges. That is why we all are or want to be in the medical field. But I will let you on a little secrete before you start college. Getting good grades in a biology program is not hard. It is mostly memorization. Some schools will be a lot more competitive to get that A then others. But in the end, the information is the same no matter where you go to college (some may disagree with me, but I know enough about biology to prove them wrong)

I want to let you know about another little secrete. Every job in the world has routine stuff. There is no way to avoid it. Some jobs are more routine then others. If you become a surgeon, chances are that you will do the same type of surgery every day for your whole career as a doctor. If you become a family medicine doctor, most of your cases will be the same thing (others can insert what these type of cases are). Emergency Medicine has the most non-routine cases.

Most likely over $150,000 or more. It sounds like a lot, and it is, but it is manageable with a doctors salary. You won't be rich, but you will still be able to keep food on the table and have a roof over your head.

Don't own a credit card! Work during school. You can work 20 hours a week with no problem. Don't purchase a brand new expensive car. Get a reliable used car that you can drive the next several years.

Now relax. Life seems complicated, but it reallly isn't. If you want, take some time and shadow several different type of doctors (you don't need to know what type of doctor you want to be before going to medical school), nurses, physican assistants, and others. This way you will learn what it is really like in the medical field. Just reading words from a paper won't give you the right perspective.

When you get to college, you can enjoy your time. But spend your free time wisely. Don't go out and get drunk Every Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and often times even Monday, Tuesday and Wed. You will know what I mean if you go to a school that is know to party hard.

College is harder then high school. Medical school is harder then college. Residency is harder then medical school.

I will leave with this advice. LIVE YOUR LIFE IN PENCIL AND NOT INK.

P.S. get use to rejection. Also, I wrote some advice in the above areas (above the text below the quoted area). Enjoy!

I'm a mod, so it's ok. ;) I'm guessing Atlas Shrugged is your favorite. I liked Anthem and Night of January 16th as well. Wasn't ever that enamored with The Fountainhead or We the Living. I think a lot of people are Rand fans in HS and college. Even someone as socialistic as Hillary Clinton admitted to having been influenced by Rand. But I confess that I haven't read any of her books in over a decade. I think what disillusioned me was when I started getting more into her nonfiction in college and discovered how poorly she and those closest to her lived up to her own ideals. I read several books by David Kelley too; I liked him much better than Peikoff and the ARI purists. I even emailed with Harry Binswanger about science and philosophy for a while; his views are ridiculously extreme and absolute, but he's extremely bright and knowledgeable about science even though his training is in philosophy. If you've never read any of her nonfiction or the writings of her followers, give it a shot. There's a lot more out there, but not all of it is very pretty.

My family is in exactly that position. I am currently checking online sites to determine any possible ways to reduce cost. Unfortunately, I have no past friends or acquaintances with medical school experience, so in-depth school research is a must.
State schools are a good way to go. I'd apply to at least one of them in your home state. Don't automatically rule out private schools though; like someone already said, they often offer significant financial aid.

Well, I'm going to have to admit I've been officially diagnosed with OCD (mild enough not to warrant medication, and it was only diagnosed based upon an eating disorder) and anorexia nervosa (for which I was unfortunately hospitalized two years ago, but have never relapsed), so they are quite concerned about letting me go off on my own. :rolleyes: Would my less-than-stellar medical history in any way interfere with a path through medical school? :( Unfortunately, I can't go back...
You'll have to be careful if being under extreme stress and having little control over your schedule tend to make you relapse. People do get depressed or have eating disorders during medical school, and a lot of schools (if not all of them) have counseling services available for students who need them. You definitely wouldn't be alone, but you do need to be aware of your triggers and ask for help if you need it. That's going to be true no matter what you wind up doing.

Thanks for letting me know! I noticed on a thread here that it is possible to obtain a research job during freshman year of college, which would be a definite benefit. Thank you very much! Your post was tremendously helpful. :D

:eek: A social life?! Unfortunately, even in senior year of high school, I'm taking too many courses to hang out with friends. I know, I know, I need to enhance my social skills and communication...and perhaps realize I don't have to be the best in the year.

Thank you everyone!

You sound almost like a carbon copy of myself.

To begin with, BE CAREFUL! I did that and REALLY regret it. Granted there were some other things that factored in as well (my cousin almost died, grandma got breast cancer, etc). I lost many of my friends and grew apart from others. I became very depressed and extremely stressed and was also not getting enough sleep trying to keep up with everything. In the end I almost failed one class, audited (same as a withdraw) another, and ended up with Mono that lasted about 6 months. I have never had a s****er time in my life. You NEED to have some time for YOU and you NEED sleep! Keep in mind, you can be the valedictorian and still take tough classes. Often taking so many hard classes will only Lower your GPA. I knew someone who was valedictorian because they had over a 4.0 becasue they took ALL easy classes and easy A.P. classes like AP Art and AP Dance instead of like AP Calc and AP Physics. (I hate people like that, it's not fair to the people like us who work really hard and take difficult classes). *tangent sorry*

Next, I also have OCD and though I have never been officially diagnosed with an eating disorder, my parents have threatened to hospitalize me many times (I refuse to believe I have a disorder, I eat I am just very picky and don't like to eat a lot at once). I highly doubt that either will effect your chances unless you let them get in your way. If anything they may help as you can talk about overcoming anorexia for example in your Personal Essay for apps and if you are anything like me, (which from reading your posts thus far you are VERY much like me) having OCD includes being an extreme perfectionist - which helps you keep your grades up. It also may or may not help you to stay organized. You can PM me if you have questions.

And to your first comment, talk to your counselors about getting in touch with a premed advisor at a college near you. (hehe that sounds like an infomercial) Even if you do not choose to go to that school they will have a lot of helpful information for you. Speaking with your own doctor may not be a bad idea either. Thell him/her that you are planning on going into Med school and ask if s/he would be willing to set up a time to meet with you for say a quick interview. Set up a list of questions beforehand that you would like to ask. Most doctors are really supportive of premeds and willing to offer any help or advice that they can.

Yes and no. You will be required to disclose your history of physiciatric illness at various stages of your medical career. You may also be required to release records to various bodies, so make sure you keep copies of everything readily available.

That being said, there are many physicians with mental illness, and most are allowed to practice with minimal difficulty. Expect some level of periodic monitoring.

Thanks for the information. I'm assuming I won't be the only student to have gone through this at some point in my life, so hopefully it won't stand in my way too much.

I will leave with this advice. LIVE YOUR LIFE IN PENCIL AND NOT INK.

P.S. get use to rejection. Also, I wrote some advice in the above areas (above the text below the quoted area). Enjoy!

Your post was VERY helpful! :D:thumbup:

I understand that a job as a doctor is going to involve a considerable bit of routine work, but the overall position is still intriguing enough (and constantly changing and expanding, for example in neurology--a field that isn't as well-researched as it could be) to hold my attention. I'll keep in mind Emergency Medicine, although I'm not yet sure what that involves.

Wasn't ever that enamored with The Fountainhead or We the Living. I think a lot of people are Rand fans in HS and college....I think what disillusioned me was when I started getting more into her nonfiction in college and discovered how poorly she and those closest to her lived up to her own ideals. I read several books by David Kelley too; I liked him much better than Peikoff and the ARI purists. I even emailed with Harry Binswanger about science and philosophy for a while; his views are ridiculously extreme and absolute, but he's extremely bright and knowledgeable about science even though his training is in philosophy. If you've never read any of her nonfiction or the writings of her followers, give it a shot. There's a lot more out there, but not all of it is very pretty.

Wow! You've actually e-mailed back and forth with Harry Binswanger. I'd be just a tad intimidated. ;)
I will definitely read books by David Kelley. Which ones do you recommend I take a look at first?
I've actually just recently checked out a nonfiction book on Ayn Rand by James T. Baker. I'm curious what in her life led her to think the way she does. :) She may have lived up to her own ideals poorly, but the fact that she could come up with such a set of ideals is still mesmerizing. But, then again, I need to read the book before I say any more. :p

You'll have to be careful if being under extreme stress and having little control over your schedule tend to make you relapse. People do get depressed or have eating disorders during medical school, and a lot of schools (if not all of them) have counseling services available for students who need them. You definitely wouldn't be alone, but you do need to be aware of your triggers and ask for help if you need it. That's going to be true no matter what you wind up doing.

I realize that. If my eating disorder begins to reapper, I'll have to seek help immediately, because it tends to be viciously more and more mind-altering as it progresses. Despite my own personal views on eating or lack thereof, anorexia WILL get in my way during medical school if I let it, and that can't happen. I'll enlist a few trusted friends to let me know when I'm beginning to resemble a cadaver. :p

You sound almost like a carbon copy of myself.

To begin with, BE CAREFUL! I did that and REALLY regret it. Granted there were some other things that factored in as well (my cousin almost died, grandma got breast cancer, etc). I lost many of my friends and grew apart from others. I became very depressed and extremely stressed and was also not getting enough sleep trying to keep up with everything.

My grandmother actually just recently died of breast cancer. I've been isolated and slightly depressed, but having a goal to strive for usually keeps negative feelings at bay!

Keep in mind, you can be the valedictorian and still take tough classes. Often taking so many hard classes will only Lower your GPA. I knew someone who was valedictorian because they had over a 4.0 becasue they took ALL easy classes and easy A.P. classes like AP Art and AP Dance instead of like AP Calc and AP Physics. (I hate people like that, it's not fair to the people like us who work really hard and take difficult classes). *tangent sorry*

Honestly, I don't take AP classes to increase my GPA. I just can't stand the thought of missing ANY information by taking an honors course. I don't want to be the best in the class, but it's difficult to avoid that when I study and love work as much as I do. I've tried to have a social life, but found it...boring. It feels like I'm wasting my time, and there's no point in doing so if it doesn't even generate happiness. It is not as though I don't have fun, but most of it is of the solitary or tiny group kind. Maybe it's time to go psychoanalyze myself. :p

If anything they may help as you can talk about overcoming anorexia for example in your Personal Essay for apps and if you are anything like me, (which from reading your posts thus far you are VERY much like me) having OCD includes being an extreme perfectionist - which helps you keep your grades up. It also may or may not help you to stay organized. You can PM me if you have questions.

Is it a good idea to mention anorexia in my Personal Essay? I don't want to draw too much attention to my faults!

I am an extreme perfectionist. But I find that in the top classes, everyone seems to have a considerable quantity of OCD-like tendencies! The benefits greatly outweight any cons, so there's not really much of a problem with it. Thanks so much for your answers! :D I'll definitely PM you with any questions!

Last edited:
I agree. I chose a cheaper in-state school over prestige and I couldn't be happier. It's motivating me to do better in school. Good luck with your decision!

Should've picked UW. Sorry but I'm a Husky so I can't agree.:D