is it important to do my elective in the same field as my future residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galkim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

i'm an IMG and i'm going to do some clinical electives in the US next year in internal medicine. the thing is, that i think that i wanna work as a pediatrician and that's probably what i'll apply for when the time comes.

is it important for me to change the clinical electives to peds? or is it ok that it's in internal med?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You will need letters of recommendation from pediatricians when application time comes around, so I would suggest doing at least a couple electives in pediatrics.

Why do you want to do them in internal medicine and not peds if peds is what you're shooting for?

now that you say it, it kinda make sense.... lol

the thing is, i'm not 100% sure. i'm like 75% sure... for peds..

i'm also planning to do one elective in the cleveland clinc's cardiac ICU, because i got the impression that a LOR from there is very strong. is it?

one more question - these LOR's - is it accustomed to just give any elective student a LOR? or do i have to be really really good to get one?

I can't imagine that would be a bad LOR to get, but I can't really speak to the strength of a letter from any one specific place. If you aren't sure about peds and are considering something like IM then it would be helpful.

In reality you could ask for a letter from any attending on an elective, but you really want to get one from someone you feel like you impressed and could write you a strong/personal letter and not just a letter saying, "Yes, galkim did an elective here. He showed up on time and did adequate work." You'll know who to ask for a letter from and who you should probably pass on.

I'd look into where you plan on applying for residency. I was considering peds at one point and remember seeing some places (not all) required three letters from pediatricians, not just a general three LORs.