Is it inappropriate to contact professors at universities I don't attend for research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waspoppen

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically title. I'm in a lab right now, but I'll be home (more than 2 hours away) for the summer. I'm from a pretty large city with several universities, would it be inappropriate to basically cold email profs and ask about joining their labs for the summer if I'm not really connected to the institution? When I was in high school, I did briefly spend some time in one of the labs at one of these universities, but other than that I really don't have any connection to it. I'd love a spot as a research assistant, but honestly just volunteering my time would be more than worthwhile. I'm honestly not really doing this "for premed"; so far I've really enjoyed my time in lab and I want to explore some other fields.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically title. I'm in a lab right now, but I'll be home (more than 2 hours away) for the summer. I'm from a pretty large city with several universities, would it be inappropriate to basically cold email profs and ask about joining their labs for the summer if I'm not really connected to the institution? When I was in high school, I did briefly spend some time in one of the labs at one of these universities, but other than that I really don't have any connection to it. I'd love a spot as a research assistant, but honestly just volunteering my time would be more than worthwhile. I'm honestly not really doing this "for premed"; so far I've really enjoyed my time in lab and I want to explore some other fields.
Not inappropriate at all to ask, but whether a PI would train a student for just a few months is another question.

Reactions: 3 users
I have done it, some wont reply (most actually) but others are sometimes open to a summer or a gap year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Start writing a program to generate and send a few hundred emails. Might take an afternoon to do it but will be scalable.

Even before covid, a cold emailing method is extremely low yield and doing it by hand will take too much time.

Look at smtplib and bs4 libraries.