Is it lame?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD-To Be

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it lame for an incoming medical student to buy a doctors bag to use during clinical experiences? Is there any use for a medical student to have one or is it completely unnecessary?

Members don't see this ad.

MD-To Be said:
Is it lame for an incoming medical student to buy a doctors bag? Is there any use for a medical student to have one or is it completely unnecessary?

Only buy one if you intend to fill it with booze to bring to parties. :cool:

Otherwise you might as well tattoo lame on your forehead.

MD-To Be said:
Is it lame for an incoming medical student to buy a doctors bag? Is there any use for a medical student to have one or is it completely unnecessary?

It is TOTALLY lame, and not just that, why on earth are you worrying about this now? Enjoy undergrad for crying out loud :) You'll have plenty of time to be neurotic about med school when you're actually an incoming med student ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
MD-To Be said:

At first I thought this was lame. Then I met a fellow classmate who's best friend bought him an old doctor's bag as a graduation gift from ebay from back in the day when they had them for house calls. He uses it as a brief case though, not really for stethoscope and equipement. Its cool in the sense that its kinda vintage and goes back to the days of house calls.

However, if you are looking for something with function or whatnot, then it is completely unneccessary, as I'm sure you already have a bag you put your books in. Unless you've got some unique rural program that sends students on house calls, you're not gonna need one.

Just my two cents. Take it for what it's worth:

I think it's acceptable to get one of those fabric (nylon? whatever) bags for carrying all the assorted crap that you need for practice sessions (tuning forks, sphygmometer, lights, etc.). They have nice pockets/sleeves for what you'll need and it helps to keep all of your equipment in one place.

I also thought it was lame to buy one last year...but about three weeks after starting I ended up spending a lot of time helping to triage Katrina evacuees. And then I was very glad to have one. Now my bag is stuffed with extra gloves, fingerstick kits, tape, bandages and bandaids, trauma shears, etc. And if I go on any mission trips or head out to a local clinic, it never hurts to have the stuff on hand in a convenient bag.

MD-To Be said:

You may use it if you become a neurologist. My father-in-law bought one for my wife and she has never used it.

MD-To Be said:

In some neighborhoods carrying a doctors bag is like shouting out to potential muggers -- I might have prescription drugs on me. The days of housecalls are over. Most real doctors don't carry doctors bags anyhow. And until you finish residency, most folks will use various kinds of backpacks or mailbags or just stuff as much stuff into their white coat pocket as they can.

Unless you have real use for a doctor's bag, why bother buying one? I think I'd feel pretentious for carrying one around on campus.

I do a fair amount of Red Cross First Aid stations. I may be buying a small personal jump bag for that. Should be similar. I can probably easily switch it to carry whatever I need for med school. But really, I don't think you need one. It's probably just going to be something extra that you'll have to carry.

Yeah, I think it would be pretty lame. Or not, who knows. But if you're sporting the black bag around undergrad campus, it would be grounds for immediate and severe mocking.

MD-To Be said:

I strongly reccommend that you get a bag, preferrably with your name spelled out on it and of course with an MD behind it. Sure you are not a doctor yet, but you will be.

p.s. Make sure you take it to your classes and that it's visible at all times to faculty and other students

tupac_don said:
I strongly reccommend that you get a bag, preferrably with your name spelled out on it and of course with an MD behind it. Sure you are not a doctor yet, but you will be.

p.s. Make sure you take it to your classes and that it's visible at all times to faculty and other students

:laugh: Really good idea.

don't forget the long white coat with the M.D label on it

tupac_don said:

- Jerk, I only asked a question!

I agree with EvoDevo. Depending on what you do, there may be times when a "gadget bag" will come in handy, but with the availability of lightweight, nondescript nylon bags these days, carrying an old-fashioned leather one is bound to be viewed as something of an affectation.

The only people I know who use those are hospital-based neurologists, especially the Mayo-trained guys. They all carry their Troemner hammers in them. Those things are so heavy that there's no other practical way to tote them around. ;)