Is it legal for pharmacy clerks to count pills and stock vials?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RPcLA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it legal for pharmacy clerks to count pills and stock vials?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the state. Some have regulations that mandate anyone handling drugs be licensed with the state's Board of Pharmacy.

How about in California?

Members don't see this ad :)
How about in California?
I would advise you to look up the California State Board of Pharmacy's website and find out.

You took the time to come here. I think you have the time to find the answer in a more proper setting.

I would assume that you would have to be a liscenced technician, otherwise whats the point of licensing to be a tech if ANYONE can count and fill. But this is only my assumption.

I called a pharmacist.

It's illegal.

Only technicians and pharmacist are allowed to count pills and fill vials.

Just wanted to make sure.

well i would assume at least for narcotics its legal. otherwise you'd have techs filling those, which isnt the best idea.

and i'm sure if the pharmacy is short-staffed then of course pharmacists have to intervene to help out.

In Illinois, technicians do not have to be certified, but they must be registered by the state. A technician is defined as any non-pharmacist employee who works in a pharmacy, whether they are an actual technician, secretary, purchasing clerk, etc.

In Illinois, technicians do not have to be certified, but they must be registered by the state. A technician is defined as any non-pharmacist employee who works in a pharmacy, whether they are an actual technician, secretary, purchasing clerk, etc.

Actually, the law is changing in IL to require techs to become certified after working two years.