Is it likely Step 1 will be p/f for Class of 2024?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsonic

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or due to COVID interrupting school's ability to respond/adapt to this, might Step 1 be scored for 2024 after all?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Step 1 was already p/f for class of '24
Nope. P/f goes into effect in 2022 at the earliest. They have not actually said when it will go into effect. No formal date has been announced.

Reactions: 1 users
They said "no earlier than January 1, 2022" so my school said that its not certain 2024 will be p/f its just the earliest scenario. my school said it could be later than jan 1 2022, after we take step.

And they could also report all scores as pass fail even if you take it scores. Literally no one knows what the plan is. And I say literally because I’m convinced that they have no idea either.

Reactions: 2 users
if they are making the class of 2023 pass fail, why would the class of 2024 not be pass fail?

Reactions: 4 users
Why not just make everything P/F? P/F school grades, P/F Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 3.:rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
Why not just make everything P/F? P/F school grades, P/F Step 1, Step 2 CK, Step 3.:rolleyes:
You jest, but this is actually what I'd bet on for 20 years from now. At some of the big names preclinical & clinical grading is already P/F, and with Step 1 and CS both P/F, I bet the others will be following suit.

Reactions: 1 user
You jest, but this is actually what I'd bet on for 20 years from now. At some of the big names preclinical & clinical grading is already P/F, and with Step 1 and CS both P/F, I bet the others will be following suit.

Well, then students can rely on more important factors, such as nepotism, in order to land that desired residency. You're forward-thinking. I love it!

Reactions: 5 users
Well, then students can rely on more important factors, such as nepotism, in order to land that desired residency. You're forward-thinking. I love it!
Is it nepotism to get your spot by impressing the team on a rotation/sub-I? Seems like a fair enough way to pick people

Not all schools have rotations in all fields, especially community based programs and DO programs.

Not all students can afford to do away rotations.

What if you get 3-bombed on your SubI?

All IM LOR's say the student is in the top 1% of everyone they have ever worked with. Sadly, when I see an IM LOR that says that someone is in the top 5% of students they have ever worked with, a small part of my brain responds "this person must be terrible" even though I know that's not true.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess my pun cut a little deeper than I intended. We can all pretend that everything along the path to becoming a physician is based on merit, but unfortunately this isn't true. From legacy admissions to your personal connections, a lot of it is based on who you know, not what you know. With these changes, I don't see that getting any better since it will be much harder, more or less impossible, for a budding physician to prove her own worth and set herself apart from the rabble.

Reactions: 1 user