Is it negative if reccomender writes MD/PhD for MD only programs?

Futuredrmd

5+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
I am going to be a reapplicant this cycle, and a couple of my professors specifically recommended me for both medical school and MD/PhD programs. Do you think it will be a negative to MD only programs, especially those that also have MD/PhD programs?

Or would they understand the letters are from a year ago, and I didn't get into any MD/PhD programs or MD programs last cycle, and am truly interested in their program?

Thank you

Seihai

The dog is always the real hero.
2+ Year Member
May 24, 2017
It's generally better if your letters are specific to one or the other, not both.

It's easier to justify an MD letter for MD-PhD (since the MD is part of the MD-PhD).

If your MD-PhD letters are talking a lot about your research prowess and capacity (which they should be or they're not great MD-PhD letters), then it might not look nearly as good for MD programs because the research is usually not supposed to be the main quality of your letter unless it's from a PI.

Reactions: 1 user

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I am going to be a reapplicant this cycle, and a couple of my professors specifically recommended me for both medical school and MD/PhD programs. Do you think it will be a negative to MD only programs, especially those that also have MD/PhD programs?

Or would they understand the letters are from a year ago, and I didn't get into any MD/PhD programs or MD programs last cycle, and am truly interested in their program?

Thank you
Can't they rewrite them for this cycle?

About the Ads
Jul 31, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
My PI wrote mine as "MD or MD-PhD" programs. I never was asked about it in interviews but I also have a strong research focus so maybe thats why because it made sense anyway. Seems like most PI's push their students to pursue MD-PhD so I would think its not uncommon for them to write letters like this. I wouldn't have all of my letters be like this but I think to have one from someone you were heavily involved in research with its okay.

Futuredrmd

5+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Thank you for your responses!

Fortunately, I believe only 2/9 say MD/PhD. The rest, I think say medical school. These 2 are relatively minor contributors compared to others. And I believe my PI wrote medical school.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads