Is it ok for interviewers to prod?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I had a recent experience where a DO school was asking a lot of questions about my MD applications. The interview was going well and then it took a sudden turn, or at least thats how I felt.
Any similar experiences?

Members don't see this ad.

I had a recent experience where a DO school was asking a lot of questions about my MD applications. The interview was going well and then it took a sudden turn, or at least thats how I felt.
Any similar experiences?

What exactly do you mean by the word, "prod." That is a word that has both physical and psychological implications.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly do you mean by the word, "prod." That is a word that has both physical and psychological implications.

They literally poked him till his answer satisfied them, then something about lotion and skin, it puts :idea:

Well if it satisfies you, they kind of pressed/ urged me to talk about it. They also asked me the names of schools.
While the school also stated that no DO shadowing experience is required (I have worked around DO physicians), they made it sound like I made a huge mistake even coming to the interview.

Any similar experiences?

I had a very similar experience as well actually. Everything was running smoothly until the school brought up the MD topic. They started grilling me and I was adamant about telling them I really did like their school and what it had to offer and it looked like DO was my back-up from my application blah blah blah. My theory was that they wanted to see how I reacted to see if I could back up my app, but it seemed like they took it a little too far. It got on my nerves too, so I feel ya. It didn't affect negatively enough for them to reject me though...which school, just curiously?

:( any serious response would be appreciated, please.

You asked if it's ok for them to prod..the answer is yes. Why wouldn't they? I dont' think it's crossing the line to ask questions that might make you squirm a little. Realize that DO schools are well aware that many allopathic applicants apply to DO solely as a "backup". They aren't too fond of that reputation, so they will "prod" you to see where your loyalties are and how interested you are in osteopathy. If you had no DO shadowing and you've also applied to many MD schools too, that probably doesn't look good to them, regardless of your true story.

:( any serious response would be appreciated, please.

In my two DO interviews, my MD applications were only brought up once. I didnt feel like they were probing, or judging me for applying to both, so I think our expereinces were different. We just had a convo about how I chose the schools to apply to. My response was something along the lines of "I looked for schools that I thought make me happy and would give me a good education. Some of those were MD schools, and some of them were DO schools." And thats reallly the end of that conversation. What else more can they ask?

What kind of questions were they asking you that "forced" you to talk about it your MD apps? What about it made you feel they were asking in a negative way?

What kind of questions were they asking you that "forced" you to talk about it your MD apps? What about it made you feel they were asking in a negative way?

ha, i had the same philosophy as you, and I dont know about the OP but the interviewer straight up told me he thought my motives for applying DO were skeptical based on my application.

I haven't been harassed about my MD apps at DO interviews, a few asked me if I applied MD as well and I said 'yes' and then they moved on. One school even asked to list all the schools I applied to on their secondary, I did put the 35+ MD schools down. During the interview one of the doc's was like wow you applied to a lot of schools. I said 'yea I did' and laughed, then he asked me why their specific school. Sorry you had a bad experience, interviews can be highly variable and each interviewer has their own personality and style.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure I'm going to get harassed about it if I get any DO interviews considering the late nature of my applications. :scared:

I was asked about why I wanted to be an osteopathic physician and I said: "Well, if you mean why do you want to be an osteopathic physician as opposed to an allopathic physician, I didn't really apply here because it's a DO school. I applied here because I was interested in your curriculum. I think that the allo schools have picked up on the holistic trend and I've noticed that a lot of DOs are specializing. So, I think the the allopathic and osteopathic schools have a lot more in common than they have differences. That being said, OMM is another tool I could potentially use."

The interviewer didn't seem to be phased at all by that and I got an acceptance a week later.

Any similar experiences?

Yes its perfectly legit.

They're asking you because they want to know that if they accept you, you have a chance of going to their school. If you were admitted MD, they might write you off and leave the spot for someone else. Thats just what I think..

Any similar experiences?

Let me guess. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine?

You asked if it's ok for them to prod..the answer is yes. Why wouldn't they? I dont' think it's crossing the line to ask questions that might make you squirm a little. Realize that DO schools are well aware that many allopathic applicants apply to DO solely as a "backup". They aren't too fond of that reputation, so they will "prod" you to see where your loyalties are and how interested you are in osteopathy. If you had no DO shadowing and you've also applied to many MD schools too, that probably doesn't look good to them, regardless of your true story.
In all honesty, DO's need to get off their horse about osteopathy sometimes. Medicine is medicine. Just because you have one additional course dedicated to osteopathy doesn't acknowledge you as being that different from MD schools. I want to be a doctor should be all you should have to say for why you applied to both sides. If they want try and preach how different their school is you can counter-argue the point about how many people take the USMLE and go towards getting their residency from allo schools. But I'm not saying you should because the last thing you would want to do is piss off an interviewer.:smuggrin:

In all honesty, DO's need to get off their horse about osteopathy sometimes. Medicine is medicine. Just because you have one additional course dedicated to osteopathy doesn't acknowledge you as being that different from MD schools. I want to be a doctor should be all you should have to say for why you applied to both sides. If they want try and preach how different their school is you can counter-argue the point about how many people take the USMLE and go towards getting their residency from allo schools. But I'm not saying you should because the last thing you would want to do is piss off an interviewer.:smuggrin:

I hoped it would be like that...Ive deflected the question "why osteopathic medicine" one too many times :rolleyes:. Why not osteopathic medicine?? Im here aren't I?? I just wanna be a doctor and I like your school!!!!

I see where your coming from. the problem is they don't want you to point out the similarities (which are too many to count), they want you to point out the differences which are not clearly defined and mostly "philosophical" (quotes indicate mysteriousness). Besides OMM, that is. In the end, you've gotta play the game which means handling prodding at interviews as best you can without crumbling or pissing anyone off. this applies everywhere.

Let me guess. Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine?
hahaha.. i had the same experience there. i was really pissed off and turned off by that school due to it (i remained totally cool during the interview).. they accepted me anyway :cool:

They can grill you all they want, they are testing you, seeing what you are made of. When you are tested like that, it is nothing but an opportunity to show them you can stand up to that kind of pressure and shine regardless.

:thumbup:Agreed and that should be the perfect answer. Nowadays, MD=DO. Forget about OMM...less than 5% of active DO's use it. They are the same. But, the reality is, and I was told this first hand at a DO school a few years ago when I flirted with the idea of applying to osteopathic schools, that DO adcoms don't like the reputation of being a "backup" for MD applicants and so they will always be weary of people who apply to both kinds of med schools. The OP is even worse off because he has no DO shadowing experience, which is an unwritten requirement (at least very highly recommended).

It's ok for them to ask and prod about pretty much anything they want, as long as it's not sexual or otherwise inappropriate or harassing in nature. If you don't like their line of questioning, don't go there.