Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

is it ok to put high school stuff

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sketchball, Aug 5, 2002.

1. sketchball

sketchball Junior Member

one of the secondary questions asks for leadership experience. I used to do a lot of these things in highschool (student body president, disciplinary council) but nothing really in college. Is putting high school stuff as an answer a hugh fohpah?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WaitingImpatiently

WaitingImpatiently Long Member

If it says "post-secondary experiences," then they want stuff you did AFTER high school. If not, well, I suppose it's still implied.

4. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer

Tu es completement debile. Je vous aurais bien aide, mais je ne vous aime pas. Parle ? mon cul, ma t?te est malade.

:laugh: :eek:

5. poloace

poloace Senior Member

i would say high school stuff is reserved for college applications. otherwise, we'd be applying to med school right after prom.
    p

6. Trowa

Trowa Member

Hi,
    I actually asked an admissions person about this during an interview. I am not sure if this is the case at all schools, but from what he was saying, it probably seems to be the case. For the most part, you should refrain from placing down highschool related activities. You only have so much slots for that kind of stuff on the AMCAS for college ECs and others. The guy I spoke to said that unless you did something outstanding during highchool, it is best not to put it down. I do recommend you know what you did during highschool. One interviewer I had asked me ALOT of questions about highschool. He asked me my SAT scores, what I was involved with (that was hard to remember), class rank, exps there. So I would recommend you at least know what you did. This is just from what I was told and it does make sense, Adcoms are more interested what you did during your college years. This is just my exp and I could be wrong. Either way, good-luck!

David

7. Femtochemistry

Femtochemistry Skunk Works

Attending Physician
    :D Showin' no love

8. Tweetie_bird

dayammm! CAT FIGHT!!!

Post secondary = AFTER high school by definition.

9. jot

jot

i wouldn't put anything at all from highschool - resorting to glory days of lore seems like you are scrappin for stuff. i'd put intramural sports before class pres of hs. Those That Know may say otherwise though. goodluck regardless.
    -jot

10. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

you can definitely put high school stuff if they were things like getting published in science journals in HS, or getting Westinghouse/intel distinction, etc.

don't put something stupid like ASB president or prom king tho.

11. CU_buffalo

CU_buffalo Member

I won a full scholarship to my state school from a philanthropic organization while I was in high school. In my home state, this scholarship is a pretty big deal and it's a distinction I will carry the rest of my life, even though it's not well known outside of my state. Do you think I can put this down? I receive recognition from my university for winning this scholarship and I have received "perks" from the university for winning it as well.

Thanks for the help

12. Samoa

Physician Pharmacist

You got the money while you were in college, so technically, it's post-secondary.

13. jot

jot

i didn't put down intel/international distinction cause its kinda useless unless you did something along those lines in college - if so then you talk about that (well thats what adcom at penn said) -- to each his own i guess -

14. dr kevin40

dr kevin40 Senior Member

jot, were you top 10, 40 or 300?

15. jot

jot

i pm'd you

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer

Damn right, but spelling faux pas as "fohpah" is a serious faux pas! :laugh:

18. exigente chica

I think that using HS stuff is a no no, unless you are still involved in the activity now. It may look like you are trying to just fill your app. Find something that you did in college, like jot said even intramural team is better than prom king.

19. edge of desire

Medical Student
    trowa/david, can you tell us what school this was that asked you that in-depth about high school?

20. sector9

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
  21. ucsfstudents

Medical Student
    I would just include post-highschool experiences. You should have enough college experiences so that you don't have to dig back in time to search for things you accomplished in highschool.

22. soccrwon

Pre-Medical
    I agree that for a secondary, stick with college level activities.

23. kansaskid

kansaskid too school for cool

Pre-Medical
    J'ai mal a la tete aussi apres j'ai lu ca. Et le reponse de qweewq est tres bon. J'adore:love:

24. sector9

Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I pointed this out in post 18, but you guys have just joined a 9 year old conversation.
    [​IMG]

25. Chops369

Pre-Medical
    [​IMG]

26. kansaskid

kansaskid too school for cool

Pre-Medical
    Haha, so it is. Oops. Well "fohpah" is still funny. So there.

27. raltima07

Pre-Medical
    Yee-Haw - this thread is old