is it ok to put high school stuff

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sketchball

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
one of the secondary questions asks for leadership experience. I used to do a lot of these things in highschool (student body president, disciplinary council) but nothing really in college. Is putting high school stuff as an answer a hugh fohpah?

Members don't see this ad.

If it says "post-secondary experiences," then they want stuff you did AFTER high school. If not, well, I suppose it's still implied.

Originally posted by sketchball
but nothing really in college. Is putting high school stuff as an answer a hugh fohpah?

Tu es completement debile. Je vous aurais bien aide, mais je ne vous aime pas. Parle ? mon cul, ma t?te est malade.

:laugh: :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
i would say high school stuff is reserved for college applications. otherwise, we'd be applying to med school right after prom.
p

Hi,
I actually asked an admissions person about this during an interview. I am not sure if this is the case at all schools, but from what he was saying, it probably seems to be the case. For the most part, you should refrain from placing down highschool related activities. You only have so much slots for that kind of stuff on the AMCAS for college ECs and others. The guy I spoke to said that unless you did something outstanding during highchool, it is best not to put it down. I do recommend you know what you did during highschool. One interviewer I had asked me ALOT of questions about highschool. He asked me my SAT scores, what I was involved with (that was hard to remember), class rank, exps there. So I would recommend you at least know what you did. This is just from what I was told and it does make sense, Adcoms are more interested what you did during your college years. This is just my exp and I could be wrong. Either way, good-luck!

David

Originally posted by qweewq11

Tu es completement debile. Je vous aurais bien aide, mais je ne vous aime pas. Parle ? mon cul, ma t?te est malade.

:D Showin' no love

Originally posted by qweewq11

dayammm! CAT FIGHT!!!

Post secondary = AFTER high school by definition.

i wouldn't put anything at all from highschool - resorting to glory days of lore seems like you are scrappin for stuff. i'd put intramural sports before class pres of hs. Those That Know may say otherwise though. goodluck regardless.
-jot

you can definitely put high school stuff if they were things like getting published in science journals in HS, or getting Westinghouse/intel distinction, etc.

don't put something stupid like ASB president or prom king tho.

I won a full scholarship to my state school from a philanthropic organization while I was in high school. In my home state, this scholarship is a pretty big deal and it's a distinction I will carry the rest of my life, even though it's not well known outside of my state. Do you think I can put this down? I receive recognition from my university for winning this scholarship and I have received "perks" from the university for winning it as well.

Thanks for the help

i didn't put down intel/international distinction cause its kinda useless unless you did something along those lines in college - if so then you talk about that (well thats what adcom at penn said) -- to each his own i guess -

jot, were you top 10, 40 or 300?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Femtochemistry

:D Showin' no love

Damn right, but spelling faux pas as "fohpah" is a serious faux pas! :laugh:

I think that using HS stuff is a no no, unless you are still involved in the activity now. It may look like you are trying to just fill your app. Find something that you did in college, like jot said even intramural team is better than prom king.

Hi,
I actually asked an admissions person about this during an interview. I am not sure if this is the case at all schools, but from what he was saying, it probably seems to be the case. For the most part, you should refrain from placing down highschool related activities. You only have so much slots for that kind of stuff on the AMCAS for college ECs and others. The guy I spoke to said that unless you did something outstanding during highchool, it is best not to put it down. I do recommend you know what you did during highschool. One interviewer I had asked me ALOT of questions about highschool. He asked me my SAT scores, what I was involved with (that was hard to remember), class rank, exps there. So I would recommend you at least know what you did. This is just from what I was told and it does make sense, Adcoms are more interested what you did during your college years. This is just my exp and I could be wrong. Either way, good-luck!

David

trowa/david, can you tell us what school this was that asked you that in-depth about high school?

I would just include post-highschool experiences. You should have enough college experiences so that you don't have to dig back in time to search for things you accomplished in highschool.

one of the secondary questions asks for leadership experience. I used to do a lot of these things in highschool (student body president, disciplinary council) but nothing really in college. Is putting high school stuff as an answer a hugh fohpah?

I agree that for a secondary, stick with college level activities.

I pointed this out in post 18, but you guys have just joined a 9 year old conversation.
THREAD-IS-OLD-2.jpg