Medical Is it ok to say "Dr. C" in the work/activities section?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For one of my MMEs I talk at length about my interaction with a doctor whose last name starts with a C. I use her appropriate title (Dr. C*****), then, later on, say Dr. C when I mention something about her in the conclusion, and then finish off the essay using her full last name again in the last sentence of the conclusion. I didn't want to use the full last name in the second mention because it sounds very repetitive since the third mention is pretty close to that. Will "Dr. C" be okay if it's only for one sentence?
You are really splitting hairs here, huh?

Personally, I would write it out because it sounds more formal, but you would be fine either way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

For one of my MMEs I talk at length about my interaction with a doctor whose last name starts with a C. I use her appropriate title (Dr. C*****), then, later on, say Dr. C when I mention something about her in the conclusion, and then finish off the essay using her full last name again in the last sentence of the conclusion. I didn't want to use the full last name in the second mention because it sounds very repetitive since the third mention is pretty close to that. Will "Dr. C" be okay if it's only for one sentence?

I would prefer to see her name written out. I would have someone else take a look (doesn't need to be someone familiar with medical school admissions) who can help you edit those second and third mentions to make them less repetitive.

I ultimately don't think it matters much, but I tend to avoid all forms of abbreviations in applications. If someone is glancing over your application and isn't the brightest of bulbs, they may struggle to figure out who Dr. C is even though you've used her full name earlier in the essay.

Just write it out. Why, if you're already written it out everywhere else in the essay/prompt would you abbreviate for just 1 line? Keep in consistent. Dr. C all the way through or Dr. C********* all the way through. The latter, which is spelled out is more professional and more preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.