Is it ok to take less than a full load with an MCAT course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

STACM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on taking an MCAT review course (TPR) this semester (Spring 2007) alongside taking courses. Currently, I'm signed up for the following classes:
-Biochemistry (3 credits)
-Genetics (4 Credits)
-Finance (3 Credits) {Im a business major}

Total that is 10 credits...2 credits short of a full load (12 credits is a full time student at my university). So I was just wondering, is it ok to just take these 3 courses and the MCAT course, or will that make me look bad on my application? I'm really concerned because the MCAT course takes so much time during the week, not including studying on my own time at home, and like everyone else I want to do really well when it comes around. I've also heard that some people don't take any classes during the semester b4 MCAT and just study MCAT only.

*I was considering adding a 2 credit course like dance or music, but I'd have make my schedule really blocky (classes spread out at different times of day).

Members don't see this ad.

Im pretty much doing the same thing, however to make it a "full load" I took a P.E. (leisure activities :laugh: ) and a ceramics course. IMO you should do something similar because it will look better being a "full time student"

Yea, it just sucks because most of those easy classes won't fit with my current courses and MCAT schedule, so to fit it I would have to go back to school like 3 seperate times on certain school days.

I was talking to my advisor about doing the same thing myself and he recommended against it. I would think med schools would look at the transcript and question why you felt it was neccessary to change your student status to part-time just because you're taking the MCAT. It would look better if you took a full load (even if you buff it up to 12-13 hours with an easy course) and also did well on the MCAT. That's just my opinion. If you agree, add the easy course.... I think it'll be worth the trip back to campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also cutting my hours this semester to make room for a prep course. I am registered for only 13 hrs. It's a full load, but only because I need the financial aid to be kosher. I wish I could take 2 classes.

Same here while I study for the MCAT. I'm doing my post-bacc and only taking physics II and organic chem with labs. That's 8 credits. I only took 8 credits last semester too because if I hit 12 credits I'd have to pay full tuition instead of a la carte, which would cost about $17,000 MORE than just paying for the 16 credits I need for the year. I refuse to pay thousands of dollars for some filler classes or classes I don't *need*. I'm hoping that since I'm not an undergrad my course load won't be as important. Hell, I have a grad degree already (although non-science). I'm not working right now either. Just weekly volunteering. Hoping that a nice MCAT and high gpa with volunteering, clinical research and my J.D. will outweigh my light post-bacc courseload. If anyone thinks I'm making a dramatic mistake, well, it's too late now!

It's MUCH better to be able to tell them that you cut your courseload in order to score 30+ on the MCAT than to try to explain why you took 12-15 credit hours and ended up scoring a 25 on the MCAT. They're more understanding about the first thing than about the second.

Personally, I'm only taking two classes (Genetics and an upper level Human Bio -- 8 credits total) my MCAT semester, along with the Kaplan course. If they question me, I can point to my hopefully strong MCAT score. I doubt I'll have any problem whatsoever.

To the poster who suggested mentioning your low GPA, I wouldn't call attention to that. :)

I am planning on taking an MCAT review course (TPR) this semester (Spring 2007) alongside taking courses. Currently, I'm signed up for the following classes:
-Genetics (4 Credits)

Total that is 10 credits...2 credits short of a full load (12 credits is a full time student at my university). So I was just wondering, is it ok to just take these 3 courses and the MCAT course, or will that make me look bad on my application? I'm really concerned because the MCAT course takes so much time during the week, not including studying on my own time at home, and like everyone else I want to do really well when it comes around. I've also heard that some people don't take any classes during the semester b4 MCAT and just study MCAT only.

*I was considering adding a 2 credit course like dance or music, but I'd have make my schedule really blocky (classes spread out at different times of day).

My counselor said I should at minimum stay with 12 credits so that's what I have right now (with a review course too) . But some girl was like oh you should have atleast 14-16 credits per semester.. I don't know, I think you should take 12 IMO

I took 8 credits the semester of my MCAT. I wasn't asked about it at a single interview. BUT, like Anastasis said, I believe I wasn't questioned about it because I work a full time job, and I've been going to school part time ever since I've returned to school--it's been consistent.

Medical schools each sort through 1000s of applications per year. I doubt they have the energy to see who skimped on their schedule while studying for MCAT. A lousy MCAT will do far more damage to your application than taking fewer classes while studying if that's what you need to do.

Well I could see how in the beginning of the admissions process your schedule won't do much harm...but once they start going from the 1000s to the 100s to the few...I think admissions might question it and could make things more difficult

Members don't see this ad :)
Im taking 13, and I don't see it being any sort of red flag on my app.

My MCAT TPR course is 10 hours a week and I'm already pretty busy with other pre-med stuff. I would go crazy with any more class (and I will probably go crazy anyways with the MCAT).

Don't kill yourself, but take at least 12 to remain a full time student IMO.

I tired to take it this sumer with my last o chem lecture and kaplan but kaplan gives you so much work to do. I didn't study like I know I could have so I didn't take it. I just signed up last night to take it may 31rst and I will be taking one class, biochem for hte second time, so it shouldn't be all that hard.

What if you take a full load, but take two fluff classes and two science courses? Or is it better to take 3 sciences cources and one fluff? Or three science cources and one semi-science-fluff course?

I took 7 credits, a kaplan course, and did volunteering/club stuff while I studied for the MCAT. None of my interviewers said anything about me being part time for one semester. Do what you need to do to score well on the mcat. I was part time cuz I knew that I needed to review my pre-reqs a lot & I had other extracurricular obligations.

-Genetics (4 Credits)

I would replace Biochem and genetics with something like physiology....but you should be fine...dont add another coure...

I would replace Biochem and genetics with something like physiology....but you should be fine...dont add another coure...

Yeah I would take physiology instead of genetics. The genetics on the mcat is very basic; I didn't take genetics and was more than fine with it on the mcat. There were a lot of physiology Qs on my mcat however so I think that would be more advantageous to you.

Yeah I would take physiology instead of genetics. The genetics on the mcat is very basic; I didn't take genetics and was more than fine with it on the mcat. There were a lot of physiology Qs on my mcat however so I think that would be more advantageous to you.

Which of these would be more advantageous, immunology, neurobiology, or embryology for the mcats?

Which of these would be more advantageous, immunology, neurobiology, or embryology for the mcats?

too specific for the MCAT. you need broad subjects. like general physiology.

but apparently in med school...embryology helps a lot, at least according to my friends...

for MCAT out of the three...i would take immunology.

too specific for the MCAT. you need broad subjects. like general physiology.

but apparently in med school...embryology helps a lot, at least according to my friends...

for MCAT out of the three...i would take immunology.

Respectfully disagree. The extent of immunology of MCAT is the difference of T cells and B cells. Throw in some facts about the thymus, spleen and bone marrow and that's all. I thought neurobiology was pretty helpful.

Ive changed my schedule to:

Genetics (4 credits)
Finance (3 credits)
Music on Elvis (3 Credits)
Salsa Dancing (2 Credits)

...which gives me a full load, but takes away biochemistry. I feel like im really rusty on all the material from the pre-reqs, so I'm hoping this schedule will be good enough but still allow me enough time to do proper studying