Is it ok to take one prereq at a CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bogdan54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a junior who is taking his MCAT in June. To save a bit of money and graduate a semester early, would it be a bad idea to take a prereq (second semester of chemistry) at a community college in my hometown? Also, the course ends on August 1st. Will this course grade be on my application on time for medical schools? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I took both physics and labs at a CC and it did not effect me in terms of interview invites and acceptances. Take that however you want. As far as the grade getting in on time, you just need to have all your pre reqs done before you matriculate. So you can apply without having all the pre reqs done. For example, I took genetics and ochem lab my senior year after I had already been accepted into a school.

I took both physics and labs at a CC and it did not effect me in terms of interview invites and acceptances. Take that however you want. As far as the grade getting in on time, you just need to have all your pre reqs done before you matriculate. So you can apply without having all the pre reqs done. For example, I took genetics and ochem lab my senior year after I had already been accepted into a school.

Thanks for the information. I was just wondering if I should take the class that ends earlier rather than later if I want it as part of my GPA when I apply. One class ends late June and another class ends August 1st. I would rather take the class that ends August 1st. But if it won't be part of my GPA by the time I want to apply this year, I would take the class that ends earlier.

Members don't see this ad :)
Took all general education requirements, med school prerequisite science courses and calculus at a community college and was accepted to medical school. I also failed out of college three times prior to that and, as a result, had seven Fs and five Ws on my AMCAS transcript.

1) A single course is unlikely to impact you
2) your grade will not be on the AMCAS application unless you delay submission. The delay is very problematic and will put you behind rolling admissions curve
3) apply without the grade

What about a class that ends June 27th. Still too late?

You have to wait until the class hits the transcript, then gets sent to AMCAS, then gets verified, then transmitted to the school at least a month, likely more behind a good 50-60% of the application. So I would say no. Dont wait for this class to submit application

Ok makes sense thanks. Is there a chance where I could submit the application without this grade and then submit this grade once I receive it to AMCAS and they will update it? Or is there no point in doing that.

Now, when you say "second semester of chemistry" are you referring to Gen Chem II?