is it ok...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greatdeals225

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
to take extra courses during the Spring, although you haven't told the schools you were applying to that you were doing so?

i wonder if i'll need to email/write/call those schools and tell them that i'm planning to take an extra class not included in their application form.

Anyone have a clue?

Members don't see this ad.

It is okay, but not necessary. Schools only care about pre-reqs in their curriculum. They may update it in your file, but it really won't make a difference in determination whether they will accept you or not.

It is okay, but not necessary. Schools only care about pre-reqs in their curriculum. They may update it in your file, but it really won't make a difference in determination whether they will accept you or not.

I disagree. If you're taking extra classes in order to get a degree, they DO care. Obviously, a well-rounded students looks better than a student who only took the bare minimum of prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm...I agree with both. Schools care are ALOT more about whether you are able to fulfill their pre-reqs (but you should have been able to tell them when you were going to fulfill those pre-reqs). But at the same time, for people like me who turned in apps at the end of September, I wasn't clear on what other classes I'm taking in the Spring.

I'm a junior, and will not be getting my degree, but I'm going to continue taking my neuro/phys classes to show that I'm not slacking off my last semester before pharm school.

The person never said anything about pursuing a degree, so that is why I responded that way. Yes, if this person is getting a degree, the school would love to know!

If one is not getting a degree, I think that securing other schools' pre-reqs are the next best thing. Keep your options open.

UtterDevotion, did you hear back from Maryland yet? I'm very excited for you. Keep us posted. As long as your pre-reqs are secured for your schools, I advise you not to take a heavy load this next semester (just me). I don't want you to burn out before Pharm School starts!

The person never said anything about pursuing a degree, so that is why I responded that way. Yes, if this person is getting a degree, the school would love to know!

If one is not getting a degree, I think that securing other schools' pre-reqs are the next best thing. Keep your options open.

UtterDevotion, did you hear back from Maryland yet? I'm very excited for you. Keep us posted. As long as your pre-reqs are secured for your schools, I advise you not to take a heavy load this next semester (just me). I don't want you to burn out before Pharm School starts!

I was thinking that too...but the only req I have left is physics. I find it kind of weird to take only one science class your last semester? What do you think?

I'm very nervous for Maryland! They will start interviewing in January. :scared: I wish they favored in-state students...so I'm praying. Thanks! I'll keep you guys posted! :)

UtterDevotion, only physics left for both Shenandoah and Maryland? No, it is not weird to just take one class. This semester I just have one class, but I also work full-time at my pharmacy.

UtterDevotion, only physics left for both Shenandoah and Maryland? No, it is not weird to just take one class. This semester I just have one class, but I also work full-time at my pharmacy.

Actually, for Shenandoah, I will finish all pre-reqs by the end of this semester. Maryland wants 2 physics, so that is what's left.

I'll definitely have to rethink my semester schedule...thanks :)

well, in my case, I have taken Survey Of Communications, which is a type of speech class where you go up in front of the class then give descriptive, argumentative, debate-type speeches. However, I was thinking maybe I want to take a Public Speaking class, because I'm not sure whether Survey of Communications would transfer and be considered pre-req into the 'speech' requirement of those schools....

to take extra courses during the Spring, although you haven't told the schools you were applying to that you were doing so?

i wonder if i'll need to email/write/call those schools and tell them that i'm planning to take an extra class not included in their application form.

Anyone have a clue?

If you applied through PharmCAS, there will be a time at the end of December that will allow you to enter your new fall grades when they come in, and then I believe you can also edit the classes you are planning to take next semester. I am applying to UF, and I read that they will wait until Fall grades come in before they review an application. I am guessing that they will see the update on the courses in progress for the spring semester when PharmCAS sends them the update. Anybody else have experience with this?