Is it okay to ask for an interviewer's opinion on political topics that they raise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My plan for when the interviewer asks for my opinions on the affordable care act would be as follows:

1. remain neutral and give both positives and negatives
2. ask for their opinion on the affordable care act
3. if their answer is positive, agree with them and state more positives about ACA; if negative, do the opposite

is this viable?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks like pandering. Don't do it.

You aren't there to interview the adcom member. Nine years ago I interviewed a poli sci major. I said something about the upcoming presidential election being interesting because there was no incumbent in the race. (Same circumstances this year... ) The applicant sized me up and praised a specific primary candidate. I did not respond with enthusiasm so he mentioned a second candidate of the same party. Still nothing. I felt it was presumptuous to make assumptions in that way when I was more interested in the history/precedent and the political systems that place term limits such that a race is wide open that talking about specific candidates.

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like that's an odd approach. If anything it will seem like you are changing your opinion to align with their (which...you are). The interview is about them getting to know you. Not the other way around so approach it like any other question. You wouldn't do the same for other inquiries about your life, would you?

Interviewer: Hey Sallyhasanidea, where did you go to highschool?
You: Pre Med High! You?
Interviewer: :eyebrow:

This isn't speed dating. Just give your opinion on the ACA.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like pandering. Don't do it.

You aren't there to interview the adcom member. Nine years ago I interviewed a poli sci major. I said something about the upcoming presidential election being interesting because there was no incumbent in the race. (Same circumstances this year... ) The applicant sized me up and praised a specific primary candidate. I did not respond with enthusiasm so he mentioned a second candidate of the same party. Still nothing. I felt it was presumptuous to make assumptions in that way when I was more interested in the history/precedent and the political systems that place term limits such that a race is wide open that talking about specific candidates.

wow, if you can remember that candidate from 9 years ago I guess they left an impression

Stop at step 1. As the wise @LizzyM said, the rest is pandering. In fact, it's okay to either be for or against an issue in your interview. Just don't come off as a crazy person either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Give a real opinion, just don't give an inflammatory one.

If you can't name a couple things you like and a couple things you don't like about the ACA, you obviously haven't read enough about the ACA!

Reactions: 1 users