Is it okay to break academic "contracts"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bittersweetsymphony

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi...So I finished fellowship and stayed on to try to build an academic career. However, I've decided it isn't working out at this institution. What are the consequences of breaking a contract in academics? There wasn't really a "contract" at my institution, it was more just an appointment letter spelling out my obligations and my salary, which I signed. Will they attempt to legally hold me to this? Is it considered a very negative thing to do or is it commonplace for people changing institutions or going into a different type of career to break such an agreement?