Is it okay to call admissions committees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sivman17

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not heard back from any med schools about getting an interview. I have been rejected from two, but there are five other schools in Ohio that I am waiting to hear back from. Is it normal to call the admissions office and try to find out my status? I have not called any school, but was wondering if anyone has called an admissions office.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not heard back from any med schools about getting an interview. I have been rejected from two, but there are five other schools in Ohio that I am waiting to hear back from. Is it normal to call the admissions office and try to find out my status? I have not called any school, but was wondering if anyone has called an admissions office.

You should change the title of the thread. Admissions committees are different from the admissions office. I personally have not called any admissions offices, but I have sent a couple emails, not that it did much good. If you have been told that you are complete, calling or emailing probably won't do much good because you're most likely under review and can stay there for several months. I'd prepare myself for a long wait this winter and possibly spring if I were you.

Its fine, especially if its been a while since you have been complete. I'd say 2 months after complete is ok to call. When I call its always under the premise that I want see if there is anything I can do to improve my chances. They will normally check your application when you ask that. But yea, all in all, its cool to call them. Just don't overdo it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can call and ask them questions.

Questions like has my application been fully processed or something of that nature.

I wouldn't ask them if you will get an interview though. It is still early no need to panic just yet!

You should change the title of the thread. Admissions committees are different from the admissions office.

i agree, i was like, wow someone has balls, they are going to call the committee directly. then i clicked and read it and was disappointed :D

Its fine, especially if its been a while since you have been complete. I'd say 2 months after complete is ok to call.

i think it's ok to call, just not too often. i just called the ones where they have no status pages to make sure they received everything and that i was complete. but otherwise, i don't think calling helps much.

It is still early no need to panic just yet!

i disagree, i don't think it is that early. some school stop interviewing in feb/march. and since it's the holidays soon, they will soon have handed out most of those invites i believe. but panicking won't help your chances at all, so there's no point. when were you complete OP?

Call the admissions director directly, or send him/her am email as soon as possible. What's the worst that can happen? It's getting late in the interview season so make the big push right now. It won't hurt, only help you. Good luck!