You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Is it okay to feel this way? Vet over Vtec
Started by Miss Vet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
oh boy, youre really going to get on people's bad sides with this one. You're not quite hip on internet forum posting, are you? ReservoirDog started the exacty same thread like 2 days ago 😉
No hate intended, just bored,
Jessica
No hate intended, just bored,
Jessica
??oh boy, youre really going to get on people's bad sides with this one. You're not quite hip on internet forum posting, are you? ReservoirDog started the exacty same thread like 2 days ago 😉
No hate intended, just bored,
Jessica
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Jessica was referring to thread just a few below yours that specifically asks for back-up plans: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=434880
are you asking us to validate your desires? i'm not quite sure what's going on, but i'm pretty sure it's 'ok' to feel however you feel... not much we can do about it. so if you're on the path to vet school, follow it if you wish. if you lose the path, or don't want to continue down that path, fine, change it. if you do follow, but can't quite make it there (or however you want to finish the analogy), turn to one of your back up plans. right? or am i way off base here?
No way. The next best thing to being a vet is being a professor at a major research university.Next best thing next to a vet is a vtec.
Is it okay to feel that way if i dont get accepted......
I think its fine, either way ill be working with animals........
...What, you mean you don't have the prerequisites for that? 🙄
(What I'm saying is, the "next best thing" is a very personal preference - see the "backup plan" thread, as mentioned - and what I would have done had I not gotten into vet school may be nothing at all like the path you'd take if you don't get in.)
I think, actually, the *last* thing that most vet hopefuls want to be is a veterinary technician. What worse way to live your life than waking up every morning to face (and take orders from) the person you couldn't be? There are a lot of other animal-related things you could do with the intelligence, drive, and leadership skills that drew you to the veterinary profession in the first place - research professor only one among them. 🙂
Or, maybe animals really are foremost for you and you can do without the leadership role, in which case vet tech might be an immensely satisfying career. None of us can tell you that about yourself.
you're such an instigator, kittenkiller.
now if cyrille only liked mean girls....match made in heaven.
now if cyrille only liked mean girls....match made in heaven.
now if cyrille only liked mean girls....match made in heaven.
hee hee (------^)
I'm sorry, but you either want this or you don't. Period. If you don't know, then you haven't enough animal experience hours to answer that question.
Am I outta line here???
Bill59...help me on this one??
Next best thing next to a vet is a vtec.
Is it okay to feel that way if i dont get accepted......
I think its fine, either way ill be working with animals........
Then it looks like you answered your own question
Yeah... after 10 years of working in the field it was Veterinarian or bust. (Technically it still is...)
While I love the field and the people I got to work with I could not justify paying for the education that I already obtained, plus further coursework to obtain CVT/LVT/RVT status.
In addition to that I don't really want to not be the one to call the shots for the next 50 years. Also, I have a certain salary level in mind that -I- need to live comfortably and that probably would not be able to be accomplished for many, many years on a vet-tech salary.
My 'backup' would have been PA school with eventual specialization in pediatrics where I could make quite a bit more than my ideal salary as well as have money and time to donate to animal care and well-being.
While I love the field and the people I got to work with I could not justify paying for the education that I already obtained, plus further coursework to obtain CVT/LVT/RVT status.
In addition to that I don't really want to not be the one to call the shots for the next 50 years. Also, I have a certain salary level in mind that -I- need to live comfortably and that probably would not be able to be accomplished for many, many years on a vet-tech salary.
My 'backup' would have been PA school with eventual specialization in pediatrics where I could make quite a bit more than my ideal salary as well as have money and time to donate to animal care and well-being.
"I think, actually, the *last* thing that most vet hopefuls want to be is a veterinary technician. What worse way to live your life than waking up every morning to face (and take orders from) the person you couldn't be? There are a lot of other animal-related things you could do with the intelligence, drive, and leadership skills that drew you to the veterinary profession in the first place - research professor only one among them. 🙂" Kate_g
I agree with that. I would HATE to have to go to work and see someone else do "my job".
Not 2 sound harsh but if you are asking that... I think you have answered your own question too.
I've never been in vet school obviously but i know its freaking hard as heck and if you dont care if u get in at this point...or could just skip out and take another profession and be perfectly happy... u might not make it. (not saying you will)
🙂
I agree with that. I would HATE to have to go to work and see someone else do "my job".
Not 2 sound harsh but if you are asking that... I think you have answered your own question too.
I've never been in vet school obviously but i know its freaking hard as heck and if you dont care if u get in at this point...or could just skip out and take another profession and be perfectly happy... u might not make it. (not saying you will)
🙂
you're such an instigator, kittenkiller.
now if cyrille only liked mean girls....match made in heaven.
i DO like mean girls.
The problem with being a tech is that you don't have the freedom to practice your own style of medicine. You follow directions and lend support. It's a relatively thankless job for the amount of work that the job requires, and the pay is horrible.
I can't wait to be a veterinarian.
I can't wait to be a veterinarian.
Bill59...help me on this one??
I was kinda hoping to stay out of this but ....
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a backup plan. Whether that's a vet. tech., college professor, or professional wrestler is really a matter of personal opinion.
But most techs I know are not veterinarian wannabes. They are just as important to the team as are veterinarians.
And anyone that thinks a veterinarian is all about being the boss hasn't dealt with many clients.
But most techs I know are not veterinarian wannabes. They are just as important to the team as are veterinarians.
And anyone that thinks a veterinarian is all about being the boss hasn't dealt with many clients.
I don't think that most people go into veterinary medicine because they want to powertrip and be IN CHARGE of everything - if they did they are pretty shortsighted and should have just been business majors or engineers and then gotten an MBA.
A technician and a veterinarian are very different, and yes both integral members of the veterinary profession. People who like to do more hands-on things and/or are not inclined towards thinking scientifically but are good at empathizing y make good technicians. A veterinarian needs to be able to trust his or her staff to do those hands-on things and needs to be able to think through a problem in a stepwise manner, considering all factors and options before making a decision. Sometimes this thought process needs to be very fast, as in an emergency situation. Not everyone who is a technician is cut out for this, just as not everyone who wants to be a veterinarian has the skillset necessary to be a technician.
I wans't suggesting that being a vtech isn't important in any way, shape or form. ..we all know what happens if there aren't any vtechs! 😉
I just think if you're not sure if you want to be a vet, you may need more hours working behind one to further your decision along.
And if you don't get in the 1st time, why give up?? All is not lost....you just pick yourself up and apply again.
I just think if you're not sure if you want to be a vet, you may need more hours working behind one to further your decision along.
And if you don't get in the 1st time, why give up?? All is not lost....you just pick yourself up and apply again.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Next best thing next to a vet is a vtec.
Is it okay to feel that way if i dont get accepted......
I think its fine, either way ill be working with animals........
if u really love animals that much i suppose its ok to do vet tech, bear in mind vet medicine is a course that has stringent requirements and not many are able to enter even if they wanted to
vet tech is seriously under rated, they are the vet nurses and their support in vet medical care is much needed in many countries around the world
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 890