Is It Okay To Submit Extra Letters Of Recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Double Bonded

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw on a thread from last year where people listed the number of LORs they needed for the entire cycle (they ranged between 4-7) and I know that generally the required number is 4: 2 Science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist.

I have an extra science letter so if I submit it to AADSASS, will schools be able to view it?

Will I need any LORs for secondaries?

Is it bad to submit more than necessary? (will adcoms get the feeling that an applicant doesn't follow directions or something)

Members don't see this ad.

I saw on a thread from last year where people listed the number of LORs they needed for the entire cycle (they ranged between 4-7) and I know that generally the required number is 4: 2 Science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist.

I have an extra science letter so if I submit it to AADSASS, will schools be able to view it?

Is it bad to submit more than necessary? (will adcoms get the feeling that an applicant doesn't follow directions or something)
You just need to submit what they ask for.
Either 3 or 4 depends on the schools. :)
(usually 2 from science professors and 1 from dentist)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, it is ok to submit extra letters of evaluation.

AADSAS only holds 4 letters of recommendation; the rest must be submitted via a third party directly to the school. It is best to use the 4 spaces allowed by AADSAS for 1 dentist, 2 sciences, and 1 non-science.

Most schools require 3 letters of recommendation: 2 science + 1 dentist

However, some schools (such as UNLV) require 4: 2 science + 1 non-science + 1 dentist

Further still, some schools (such as UMB) require 3 specific letters: 1 biology + 1 chemistry + 1 dentist.

Also note that some schools (such as USC) do not accept a science letter provided by a professor from a non-lecture course such as an upper division biology laboratory course.

In general, when asking for letters of recommendation, an applicant should plan on asking at least 2 science professors and 1 dentist. In addition, applicants should contact the admissions departments at the schools he or she plans on submitting an application to and ask if there are any other school specific requirements before submitting the AADSAS application.

A Big Note: Proceed with Caution

When submitting extra letters of evaluation the applicant should use his or her discretion. Extra letters of evaluation can serve as a hindrance or distraction to admissions committees, and should only be submitted under three conditions: one, the author holds a prominent position (ex: the Gov. of CA or the President of the ADA); two, the author is an alumni of the institution; three, the author and applicant have an extensive and academically relevant relationship that revolves around research or the creation of a project (the author should have a PhD or other authoritative degree).

An extra letter of evaluation should not come from:
1. Another dentist
2. Another teacher
3. A friend, colleague, or family member

Reactions: 1 user

Well, addsas will accept maximum of 4. If you have more letters, you have to directly send them to the school, HOWEVER there might be some issues with that because, some schools don't accept LORs directly from the student and some schools are switching to 100% paperless applications (meaning paper LOR = not accepted)

And this notion of "2 Science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist" is kinda "correct". But.....some schools are VERY strict about this.... they require 2 LORs from BIOLOGY type professors (not any other science), and the other 1-2 LORs can come from the non-science/healthcare professional.

Bottom line, when it comes to LORs, check each schools website for thier requirements. I remember when I filled out my application last June for 18 schools, this was the most annoying part.

What if one plans on getting a committee letter?

If all schools have different LOR requirements, what's the proper way to submit other LORs (that are not acceptable to other schools) to schools that are acceptable? Say I submit 2 chemistry, 1 dentist, 1 research, and the school want's atleast 1 biology. If I'm going to add the 2 chems, 1 dentist, and 1 research on the aadsas, what should I do with the biology LOR?

Yes, it is ok to submit extra letters of evaluation.

AADSAS only holds 4 letters of recommendation; the rest must be submitted via a third party directly to the school. It is best to use the 4 spaces allowed by AADSAS for 1 dentist, 2 sciences, and 1 non-science.

Most schools require 3 letters of recommendation: 2 science + 1 dentist

However, some schools (such as UNLV) require 4: 2 science + 1 non-science + 1 dentist

Further still, some schools (such as UMB) require 3 specific letters: 1 biology + 1 chemistry + 1 dentist.

Also note that some schools (such as USC) do not accept a science letter provided by a professor from a non-lecture course such as an upper division biology laboratory course.

In general, when asking for letters of recommendation, an applicant should plan on asking at least 2 science professors and 1 dentist. In addition, applicants should contact the admissions departments at the schools he or she plans on submitting an application to and ask if there are any other school specific requirements before submitting the AADSAS application.

A Big Note: Proceed with Caution

When submitting extra letters of evaluation the applicant should use his or her discretion. Extra letters of evaluation can serve as a hindrance or distraction to admissions committees, and should only be submitted under three conditions: one, the author holds a prominent position (ex: the Gov. of CA or the President of the ADA); two, the author is an alumni of the institution; three, the author and applicant have an extensive and academically relevant relationship that revolves around research or the creation of a project (the author should have a PhD or other authoritative degree).

An extra letter of evaluation should not come from:
1. Another dentist
2. Another teacher
3. A friend, colleague, or family member

So do most schools consider research professor = science professor? I heard different stories all over the place...

So do most schools consider research professor = science professor? I heard different stories all over the place...

I would like to know this as well. I am currently doing research and my professor is writing me a letter but he only does research and doesn't lecture. So would that we sufficient for a biology/science LOR?

Thanks

-Matthew

What if one plans on getting a committee letter?

If all schools have different LOR requirements, what's the proper way to submit other LORs (that are not acceptable to other schools) to schools that are acceptable? Say I submit 2 chemistry, 1 dentist, 1 research, and the school want's atleast 1 biology. If I'm going to add the 2 chems, 1 dentist, and 1 research on the aadsas, what should I do with the biology LOR?

Committee letter from what I remember is the best option. It resolves all of your problems. Most schools require either XYZ number of LORs from professors OR 1 committee letter.

Unfortunately for me, the school I did most of my post-bacc in didn't have a committee, so I went with the individual LOR option using interfolio.com

I would like to know this as well. I am currently doing research and my professor is writing me a letter but he only does research and doesn't lecture. So would that we sufficient for a biology/science LOR?

Thanks

-Matthew

Your best source is to contact the dental schools and ask them. LORs are a VERY serious thing, if you are missing LORs or you don't have the correct LOR, the school could either:

-ignore your application as if its not complete, they won't contact you or anything, ur application will sit there for months and months and no response from the school.....or......

-be nice, and actually contact you and tell you that ur application is not complete due to lack of LOR, and in which case, you'll run around like a headless chicken trying to complete your LOR requirement.... your application at the school will remain "not complete" until you fulfill the LOR requirement

I submitted 11 LORs to my undergrad Health Office, and I think that they sent out 9 or 10 of them. Don't worry about the extra letter lol :)

I submitted 11 LORs to my undergrad Health Office, and I think that they sent out 9 or 10 of them. Don't worry about the extra letter lol :)

lol what? You were either a favorite among your professors or you were chasing them for letters. Did your undergrad health office write you a committee letter with the other letters attached? Just curious to how these committee letters are written...

lol what? You were either a favorite among your professors or you were chasing them for letters. Did your undergrad health office write you a committee letter with the other letters attached? Just curious to how these committee letters are written...

I applied without the committee letter because I was a transfer student, but I did have the health office electronically send my LORs to AADSAS.
...and I would go with favorite :cool: lol

The 11th lor must have tipped the scale for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was you guys do what I am doing. I saw it posted here and there in this thread and I believe Dental Works explains it.
Committee letter.
Assuming I even spelled committee right.

By the end of my years, Ill have:
Recommendation from 1-2 organic chemistry professors
Recommendation from a Biology professor
Recommendation from 2-3 dentists
Recommendation from 1 non sceince professor (ex dean at my institution)
Recommendation from where I work (figured this would be a good recommendation since I am highly noted where I work and very respected. It also will be a recommendation that shows that I have worked with elderly people, people with disabilities and babies)

Let your advisors decide which ones to send and not to send to each school.

so when the prof send the LORs, will they get sent to my application or the school ?

b/c some schools require different kind if letters

so when the prof send the LORs, will they get sent to my application or the school ?

b/c some schools require different kind if letters

Your username contains Kobe, bucs, UCSF, and Fan.

...nice

So just to get this straight...you can assign each dental school a different set of LORs?

If you were on the adcom and someone submitted more LOR's than requested, thereby creating more work for you, how would you feel?

Also, makes it look as though you can't follow simple instructions.

If you have a pre-health committee, they will send their letter plus all the ones from your writers. They will send them in for you. That should be enough. It obviously couldn't look bad because they are mailing it over, not you.

Thanks for all the responses you guys

I still don't understand some stuff.

I want to apply to dental schools like Stony Brook or Columbia but I see that they require 3 LORs from science professors (http://dental.columbia.edu/education/app_proc.html and http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/dental/student/admissions). I understand that AADSAS only lets you submit 4 letters. Like I said before, it's going to be 2 science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist.

How am I supposed to apply to Columbia/SB if I can't fulfill their LOR requirement?

How do people apply to Columbia without excluding the requirements for LORs from the majority of schools that require non-science and dentist LORS?

I want to apply to dental schools like Stony Brook or Columbia but I see that they require 3 LORs from science professors (http://dental.columbia.edu/education/app_proc.html and http://www.stonybrookmedicalcenter.org/dental/student/admissions). I understand that AADSAS only lets you submit 4 letters. Like I said before, it's going to be 2 science, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist.

How am I supposed to apply to Columbia/SB if I can't fulfill their LOR requirement?

How do people apply to Columbia without excluding the requirements for LORs from the majority of schools that require non-science and dentist LORS?
bump

I forgot which school it was, but I couldn't' apply to one school cause it wanted 3 biology LORs.... When your applying to a bunch of schools, its best to use your judgment and select the 4 best LORs that satisfy the requirements of ALL the schools your applying to (a good spread is 2 science LORs, 1 non-science, and 1 dentist)

If one or few of the schools don't completely get satisfied (for example, Columbia in your case) then see if:
-they'll accept an additional LOR coming out side of AADSAS (either directly from you, or interfolio, or from the writer himself)
-see if theyr willing to accept your current LORs as-is (most likely this will be a "HELL NO" ~ I learned that many Dental schools are pretty strict about LOR requirements)
-and finally, if the 2 options above fail, make your decision accordingly if you want to apply this school or not.... IF YOU DECIDE to still apply, you must supply AADSAS with the 3 science LORs and check to see if it voids the LOR requirement of the other schools