Is it okay to switch back to another antibotic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When i first got serious about acne on my back, shoulders, neck, chest, and occasionally on the face, I wanted treatment.

I have been using proactiv for about a year and it's worked okay. But last year in September I went to the doctor about an oral acne drug and he prescribed Erythromycin (I used it with proactiv as well). It worked absolutely wonderful! My chest cleared up completely, my face was a bit better, and my back looked better as well. My face was a bit dry for some reason. I figured it was Proactiv, so I stopped using it.

After a while, I wanted 'full' results from Erythromycin, so I went back to the doctor and he prescribed a higher dose. I think it was 250ml for each pill, 2 times a day.

And then, a week later, my chest and back started breaking out like crazy! I started using Proactiv again, and it cleared up a bit, but none of the acne went away like the first time I used the medication.

I got upset at this and moved onto Tetracycline, which hasn't been working for me at all, even with Proactiv.

I want my chest to clear up again ... it's so hard having to make sure my shirts are always pulled up so no one sees. It's very stressful.

But I'm not sure what I should do. Would it be okay to try Erthyromycin again? Should I continue using Tetracycline until the bottle is empty to see the results then (I've bene using it for about a month)?

Here's some additional information about me:
I have fair & oily (maybe dry) skin. I have oily hair. I'm 16 years old. I don't drink a lot of water but I'm trying, and I don't exercise or get out a lot, which I'm also trying to improve.

Help or information would be very appreciated. =(

Members don't see this ad.

see your dermatologist...ask about retin-A/tazorac (topical creams) or if he/she and you really think you have a tough case then inquire about Accutane...good luck!

And don't get sun-burned, the damage you would get from that will show up years later as unwanted sun spots and wrinkles!

I have extremely sensitive skin, and with the Tetracyclin I received Erthyomycin Benzoyl Peroxide Tropical Gel. It never worked, and it made my face dry out. I stopped using that on my face and I've had no problems.

I don't have a dermatologist, or have I ever visited one. Everything perscribed has been perscribed from just my normal doctor. He says it's not really serious enough for me to have to visit a dermatologist.