Is It Okay to Use Old(er) Textbooks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Lyss

Professional Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start med school & i recently bought a bunch of books from a 3rd year student for a pretty decent deal (I hope - most of the books were $10). My only concern is that some of these books are older editions. Some are over 10 years old. Is it okay to use older books as study tools and references? Do I need the newer editions?

Members don't see this ad.

most info isn't going to change that rapidly (except maybe genetics), but I would stick to being only 1 edition behind when using old textbooks to be on the safe side.

But kudos - it's an excellent way to save $$. Check out your library too.

I'm getting ready to start med school & i recently bought a bunch of books from a 3rd year student for a pretty decent deal (I hope - most of the books were $10). My only concern is that some of these books are older editions. Some are over 10 years old. Is it okay to use older books as study tools and references? Do I need the newer editions?

I just did the same thing - bought a good load of books for about $10 each as well. I have been told that for subjects like embryo and anatomy (book editions do not change too much), this is a pretty safe bet.

I would warn anyone that goes this route to know what you are buying, esp which edition is the most current and its published date. I got sandbagged with a 12 yr old neuroscience textbook - he kind of slipped that one past me. I'm not to upset, it was only $10.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also use no books if you wish. I used very few freshman year. I would advise not buying them ahead of time.

just a heads up- if you are planning on doing this for textbooks fine- but the newer review books are MUCH BETTER. I have editions of BRS a couple of years out of date and they have wayyy too much info, and the format is horrible, etc. Same goes for the other review books. Don't go more than 1 edition back, and get the newer edition if possible.

just a heads up- if you are planning on doing this for textbooks fine- but the newer review books are MUCH BETTER. I have editions of BRS a couple of years out of date and they have wayyy too much info, and the format is horrible, etc. Same goes for the other review books. Don't go more than 1 edition back, and get the newer edition if possible.
darn... there are def a good number of subject review books that are 1-2 editions out of date.

This would be much easier if my school gave me a book list