Path to Ortho as DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoBro77

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Current OMS-2 at a large, older DO school. I'm interested in ortho and would love some insight on my path and anything I can change/improve to increase my chances.

Class rank: 5/5 (highest)

Organizations: ACOS, SAOAO, Tutoring, Mentoring orgs, and some volunteerism orgs

Research: Just published first case report (general surgery) and have been working on a larger project with a trauma/general surgeon. I'm hoping to finish this project (trauma focused), then start working on an ortho project.

Volunteering: Sporadic volunteering, usually for an organization event - nothing significant.

We submit the hospitals we're looking to rotate at soon, and I'll be focusing my list on local hospitals with DO friendly ortho programs.

I'd love some advice on how to network and build connections in 2nd year or 3rd/4th year.

Since Step 1 is P/F, I assume doing well on Step 2 is a given. The surgeon I've been working with would probably write me a greater LOR, so hopefully I'll find another 2 ortho surgeons to write letters during 3rd/4th year. Also, I know getting and performing well on auditions is critical.

I'm putting an emphasis on ortho right now, but I'm also keeping up on general surgery interests in case I decide to call an audible at some point.

Again, I'd love any input from anyone who has gone through this process successfully. Please let me know if I'm missing anything or should add something else to improve my chances. It's a little nerve racking to see how many people in my class right now are thinking of ortho and realizing how few spots there truly are.

Members don't see this ad.

Find people from your school who matched Ortho and find out what they did