MD Is it over for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishyyy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a freshman currently in spring semester in Rutgers University--New Brunswick. My first semester of college, I got a B in General Chemistry I, C+ in General Biology I, B+ in General Psychology, and C+ in Expository Writing (a difficult, required writing class). My GPA was 2.857. This semester, I'm taking General Chemistry II, General Biology II, Calculus I, and Islam (a random 300-level elective I chose). I may be getting a C+ or B in Chem, C/C+ in Biology, possibly B/B+ in Calc, and B in Islam. Did I ruin my chances to get into medical school? Should I fail Biology and retake it? I can't repeat grades unless they're D or F. Is it still possible for me to become a doctor? please help :(

Members don't see this ad.

Should I start considering Dentistry? I don't know what to do... the only way for me to get a B in biology is to get a 100 on the final..

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically do I still even have a chance?

But I screwed up Biology :(
My statement stands.
Doing well in bio is important. It doesn't have to be the first attempt, though (or even at the same school). Don't fail anything on purpose!
Go see your pre-health counselor.

My statement stands.
Doing well in bio is important. It doesn't have to be the first attempt, though.
Are you talking about upper level biology courses or failing biology II to repeat it?

Also, is it okay to take physics 1 and 2 in sophomore year and organic in junior year? or should i stick to the usual orgo in sophomore year?

My statement stands.
Doing well in bio is important. It doesn't have to be the first attempt, though.
Also, is it okay to take physics 1 and 2 in sophomore year and organic in junior year? or should i stick to the usual orgo in sophomore year?
You need to take courses you can do well in before biting off more than you can chew. Go get help at your school. I happen to know that they will help you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I just feel much more comfortable with physics than orgo because I have a background in it (I took 1 and 2 with lab in a community college during high school) while I'm really just afraid to start organic especially after a horrendous chem 2 semester.

I just feel much more comfortable with physics than orgo because I have a background in it (I took 1 and 2 with lab in a community college during high school) while I'm really just afraid to start organic especially after a horrendous chem 2 semester.
Lovely. Do what I said.

Reactions: 3 users
You can repeat the same coursework at other schools, y'know.

I'm a freshman currently in spring semester in Rutgers University--New Brunswick. My first semester of college, I got a B in General Chemistry I, C+ in General Biology I, B+ in General Psychology, and C+ in Expository Writing (a difficult, required writing class). My GPA was 2.857. This semester, I'm taking General Chemistry II, General Biology II, Calculus I, and Islam (a random 300-level elective I chose). I may be getting a C+ or B in Chem, C/C+ in Biology, possibly B/B+ in Calc, and B in Islam. Did I ruin my chances to get into medical school? Should I fail Biology and retake it? I can't repeat grades unless they're D or F. Is it still possible for me to become a doctor? please help :(

You can repeat the same coursework at other schools, y'know.
would it count into my medical school application and look better if i retake the courses I didn't like at another 4 year school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the most important thing for you to do is relax. The two people that have commented on this thread so far are faculty, and they know what they're talking about. You absolutely have not ruined your chances at being a doctor. Many people have a difficult time adjusting to college and their grades during freshman year suffer for it. However, you still have quite a lot of time to show medical schools that you have what it takes to excel. I think a great place to start would be speaking with a pre-health advisor. They'll be able to offer much more personal advice than any of us could.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Stop worrying about retaking things, higher level class, and the order of physics and orgo (there is no classic way to do this despite what your friends have told you). Your priority, and the only thing you should be thinking about for that matter, is figuring out why you aren't doing well in these classes. Figure out how to study and do well. If you can't do that, retaking won't make a difference. Focus!

After freshman year I had a 2.7. Brought it back up to 3.65. Very doable

Please someone answer. am I better off failing and repeating bio 2 or getting a C and trying harder on upper level bio courses?

Do not fail!!! Gyngyn and Goro have given you advice. You should re read what they wrote. They are both Adcom members and faculty at med schools. They know what they are talking about. Why are you retaking Physics 1& 2 when you have already taken them in HS.? Have you met with an advisor at your college? Have you visited the learning center to get some help in figuring out why you are have such a difficult time with your classes?

Did I ruin my chances to get into medical school? Is it still possible for me to become a doctor?

No. My first semester I had a 2.5. I even got a C+ and B- in pre-reqs taken during my post-baccalaureate program. I'm now graduating from a good MD program in a prime location.

Figure out what you need to do to improve your performance. Listen to Gyn Gyn and Goro. Hold off on taking any further pre-reqs or "hard" classes until you figure out how to perform better. It's better to take them at the end and apply to med school a year later than to have them be the guinea pig classes where you're figuring out your technique for succeeding in college.

am I better off failing and repeating bio 2 or getting a C and trying harder on upper level bio courses?

Not unless you're at a school where F's aren't reported on the transcript. I don't recall Rutgers being one of those, so NO, like GynGyn already said, DO NOT fail anything on purpose. What sense would that make? Even if you have to re-take the courses to get credit, (D+A)>(F+A) when AMCAS calculates your GPA.

Last edited:
I feel a bit more hopeful after this--thank you everyone! At this point, I realize freaking out won't help and I'm better off studying hard and doing my best and moving on. I'll be taking a lighter load classes to build up my GPA and figure out this whole college thing and putting orgo off until a later time either semester or year later. thank you everyone again :) sorry for the repetitive questions.

freshmen year is nothing. I got 2.8 first quarter, then 2.6 2nd quarter. Still finished college strong though

how many semesters did it take everyone to build up their GPA to 3.5 and above? also, what were your GPAs like for those semesters? how did you change your study methods?

It takes the rest of your college years.

First step is finding that motivation and determination to do everything you can to pursue medicine because you love medicine.
Step 2: Review your notes from each lecture right afterwards and constantly review them till the quiz/test

Do NOT fail the course, Rutgers may let you replace it, but medical schools will average it out. Just do your best and do better in upper level courses.

As a rough estimate, you will need a 3.75 average for the next 3 years to bring your total GPA to 3.5+. (assuming you keep similar amount of credits each year). Also you mentioned that you took community college courses in high school? Those will count towards your GPA for medical school (med schools require grades from ALL colleges ever attended, even in high school), so that may help you...

Do I have to send those grades too? what if I don't? it's not that they're bad (they're good grades) but it'll look like I repeated the courses.. when I just took them to kind of look good for college..

Do I have to send those grades too? what if I don't? it's not that they're bad (they're good grades) but it'll look like I repeated the courses.. when I just took them to kind of look good for college..

Yeah you will have to send them. If you don't report them then you run the risk of getting caught when the AMCAS runs a background check on you, which is bad. If they are good grades, then it is fine, that's good for your GPA! It doesn't matter if you repeated the courses.

I also had AP courses in high school which were a part of the middle college program for fairleigh dickinson university.. it's not technically a college course but it has college credits... but that was literally taken in high school.