Is it possible to be a P4 on rotations without an intern license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amicable Angora

Lagomorpha
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a question for you all, is it possible for a student to go on rotations for their last year without a pharmacy intern license?

The particular state in question is West Virginia. But I welcome comments about other states as well. So if someone tells me that they are on rotations in their last year, but they do not have an active intern license and/or their license is expired, are they lying and not in school?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about West Virginia. But in PA, you need to have an active intern license as well as CPR/BLS certification to be able to do APPE rotations. I don't know how can you keep track of required hours if you don't have intern license on board. Will board of pharmacy call every single rotation sites whether they have fulfilled the requirement?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know about West Virginia. But in PA, you need to have an active intern license as well as CPR/BLS certification to be able to do APPE rotations. I don't know how can you keep track of required hours if you don't have intern license on board. Will board of pharmacy call every single rotation sites whether they have fulfilled the requirement?

I am as puzzled as you. I am starting to think my friend has been kicked out of school. His license is expiring, and when I asked to see/discuss his rotation schedule, he sidelined it, until telling me that he has 2 community rotations (claims school forced him into it), and is going to be interning at various "clinics," where he might have to work evenings and overtime "1-2 hours." Sounds extremely sketchy to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're actively performing pharmacy duties in a pharmacy, not counting clerk duties, you need to be licensed. If you are not, you're breaking the law and your preceptors are also breaking the law.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't? But you need at least a tech license, right?

In the state of Maryland, there is a carve out for pharmacy students on rotation. See the Maryland Code, section 12-301(b). The COMAR calls out additional regs related to a "pharmacy student." No tech license or intern license is needed for APPE rotations. For those students to work in a pharmacy outside of APPEs, an intern or tech license would be needed.

If that's not clear enough for you, here's info from the MD Board of Pharmacy. Will I need an intern license if I am do...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I personally did not have a Maryland intern license during my fourth year. I had it during my first two years for work and then let it lapse after I stopped working there. I did a rotation in my third year in Houston, and got a Texas intern license for that. My pharmacy-based APPE rotations were all in Maryland, and I did not need to get a license of any sort for it. I was thankful to not have to spend that money to get licensed as an intern.

I personally did not have a Maryland intern license during my fourth year. I had it during my first two years for work and then let it lapse after I stopped working there. I did a rotation in my third year in Houston, and got a Texas intern license for that. My pharmacy-based APPE rotations were all in Maryland, and I did not need to get a license of any sort for it. I was thankful to not have to spend that money to get licensed as an intern.

Not necessary in NJ either

Hello, I have a question for you all, is it possible for a student to go on rotations for their last year without a pharmacy intern license?

The particular state in question is West Virginia. But I welcome comments about other states as well. So if someone tells me that they are on rotations in their last year, but they do not have an active intern license and/or their license is expired, are they lying and not in school?

Thank you.

Yes you do need an active intern license. Although none of my sites requested it nor confirmed that I had it, it was required by my school.
Renewal period is by the end of June. Be on top of things (just in case).

Source: did my APPE's in WV

Yes you do need an active intern license. Although none of my sites requested it nor confirmed that I had it, it was required by my school.
Renewal period is by the end of June. Be on top of things (just in case).

Source: did my APPE's in WV

Thank you very much for your help.

In Maryland, you do not need an intern license if you're in your last year on APPEs.
That's interesting.

I'm surprised to hear that the most Draconian state in the Union is so lax on anything

If his intern license is going to expire in the future, he may just be in the process of renewing it. He might have just been creeped out that you were searching for his license on the state board website so he decided to not explain things.

As someone who searched for the license of a soon to be intern at my work and wound up congratulating them on their new intern license before they had even found out it was active, I can tell you that searching the state board website is often professionally creepy. :)

If his intern license is going to expire in the future, he may just be in the process of renewing it. He might have just been creeped out that you were searching for his license on the state board website so he decided to not explain things.

As someone who searched for the license of a soon to be intern at my work and wound up congratulating them on their new intern license before they had even found out it was active, I can tell you that searching the state board website is often professionally creepy. :)

But that action is definitely required by the PIC in most states as that is a duty placed on them to know. Supposedly, the PIC is required to know that each and every staff member working in the pharmacy has the proper credentials to do so (including pharmacists, technicians, interns, and suppliers). For retail, most use their chain's process, but someone has to.

There are states that don't require the intern license for that state if they are on a school rotation.

Reactions: 2 users
But that action is definitely required by the PIC in most states as that is a duty placed on them to know. Supposedly, the PIC is required to know that each and every staff member working in the pharmacy has the proper credentials to do so (including pharmacists, technicians, interns, and suppliers). For retail, most use their chain's process, but someone has to.

There are states that don't require the intern license for that state if they are on a school rotation.
Yeah, but I'm not the pharmacist in charge and neither is the original poster. :) We were both just creepers creeping on friends.

Edit: to be fair to the original poster, maybe the word "friend" was being used as a substitute for employee. He/she might be the PIC.

Last edited:
All states do not require an intern license, however I do know from experience that West Virginia does in fact require one.

Schools also ask you to provide that information before rotations as well, my school makes you upload it. if you don't or if it expiring, you won't even be placed for rotations until the situation is rectified and they won't place you at all if you don't do it in time. They required us to obtain the state's intern license even if we weren't interning in that state. Maybe your friend is just being really private about their rotations.

Out of all my rotations, I was only asked to show my intern license once. In the middle of the year, an email was sent out because some of the other students had let their intern license lapse for like 5+months. Schools are not very good at checking these things.