Is it possible to become a Natural Pharmacist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgard7777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would love to become a Pharmacist however I would be more interested in helping people through natural medicine in opposed to chemicals.. Is this possible? If so where could I work would it limit my career options?

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to become a Pharmacist however I would be more interested in helping people through natural medicine in opposed to chemicals.. Is this possible? If so where could I work would it limit my career options?

Interesting question. I'd like to know the same thing. Right now natural medicines is a very underdeveloped field in the States, but who knows, maybe it'll develop soon.

There's a whole field of study dedicated to natural medicines (pharmacognosy), with its own degrees (academic degrees, of course). Have never heard of an actual pharmacist involved in this area, but it would be interesting to find a pharmacist doing this.

my grandfather is a retired chiropractor. Seems like family get together are full of natural drug questions and ideas he pops on me. I know that in some states there are pharmacies that are promoting natural remedies and have a huge seletion of different products but still have a regular pharmacy.

I even did a rotation on natural medicines. It covered everything from garlic to acupuncture. In my opinion, I think just buffing up your OTC natural product knowledge might be your only real choice if you want to practice retail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Natural medicines are "chemicals", too. For some reason there is this belief that because things come from plants they are less "harsh" or are "safer". I have no idea why this idea perpetuates itself.

Those darned hippies and their magic mushroom medicine...

You can open up your own apothecary. My great grandfather was a pharmacist back in the twenties and thirties it was definitely less industrialized than now. He would have to concoct his own remedies using medicinal plants. Present day pharmacy is a whole different animal.

Natural medicines are "chemicals", too. For some reason there is this belief that because things come from plants they are less "harsh" or are "safer". I have no idea why this idea perpetuates itself.

Those darned hippies and their magic mushroom medicine...

Reminds me of that South Park episode where everyone in town becomes hooked on natural remedies...Cheech and Chong make an appearance...the story line escapes me, but I remember it being very funny. Then again, what South Park episode isn't funny?

I agree with WVU...everything is a chemical. Not saying that so-called natural medicines are useless, just saying there is nothing inherently better about a med just because you can grow it in your back yard.

I agree with wvu too, most herbals that are actually useful contain known chemicals that have known pharmacology

before I got accepted to pharmacy school I looked into it and they have a - Doctor of Naturopathy (N.D.) or Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine (N.M.D.)
problem is not all states recognize that as an actual degree yet!!
I don't think that there any pharmacy schools that have a specific natural track- although you could do a natural rotation possibly!!!???

I would worry more about helping patients choose a medication that is safe, researched and that works instead of wasting time with whether it is "natural" or not.
There is actually a small grocery chain here in Oregon that is starting to add pharmacies to their stores and they will focus on a lot of natural remedies as well as compounding, at least that is what they are saying as of now. It is a natural/organic food market so it will fit in with the theme.

I think this will definitely become more popular in the future! I shop organic and I constantly am at whole foods- they have a pretty good selection of natural remedies- but when you ask somebody who works, what to take or if it will interact- they have no idea...so I see this as an area in which to be proactive.

I would worry more about helping patients choose a medication that is safe, researched and that works instead of wasting time with whether it is "natural" or not.
There is actually a small grocery chain here in Oregon that is starting to add pharmacies to their stores and they will focus on a lot of natural remedies as well as compounding, at least that is what they are saying as of now. It is a natural/organic food market so it will fit in with the theme.

I also agree with this...I believe that natural remedies have opened a new OTC market if you will...and I think that is why it is exciting not just because it is natural...many OTC items already are natural they are just not marketed this way!

Members don't see this ad :)
No, only God is a natural pharmacist. You are not related to God, are you?

Most of these natural remedies are starting to be carried because of the new-found demand for them, not because they actually work.

My grandmother who lived over a 100 years was an especrt on herbs. She died after her first trip to the doc :)

Anyways, herbs are much safer more efficient and cheaper than drugs. IF used the right way. Meaning, get the herb from an expert, tell your regular doctor about it to avoid interactions with prescriptions...

I recently read about a medical researcher at the U of Minnesota who travels to exotic countries, gathers info about their natural/holistic treatments fro some diseases and tries to study it in lab. I think that is a fabulous idea, why not learn from the "eastern knowledge"
As that doctor said: It is time for our doctors to become less arrogants and try to learn from others.

I personally, have a cabinet filled with herbs to treat all minor problems. headache, constipation, cold, diarrhea, ...They work and they are much cheaper. Although, if the problem persist more that 2 days or reoccurs I do go to the DOC ;)

I believe that the problem of medication is its overuse and abuse when it is not necessary. This society wants an instant solution for every problem. We want a pill for everything, even to make us happy....:D

I am grateful to western medicine when it comes to cancer, fighting diseases...etc. However doctors should sometimes refrain from overperscribing, and patients should learn to live with discomfort....

THis is a complex subject I just tried to give a little scoope of my view in the subject.

My grandmother who lived over a 100 years was an especrt on herbs. She died after her first trip to the doc :)

Anyways, herbs are much safer more efficient and cheaper than drugs. IF used the right way. Meaning, get the herb from an expert, tell your regular doctor about it to avoid interactions with prescriptions...

I recently read about a medical researcher at the U of Minnesota who travels to exotic countries, gathers info about their natural/holistic treatments fro some diseases and tries to study it in lab. I think that is a fabulous idea, why not learn from the "eastern knowledge"
As that doctor said: It is time for our doctors to become less arrogants and try to learn from others.

I personally, have a cabinet filled with herbs to treat all minor problems. headache, constipation, cold, diarrhea, ...They work and they are much cheaper. Although, if the problem persist more that 2 days or reoccurs I do go to the DOC ;)

I believe that the problem of medication is its overuse and abuse when it is not necessary. This society wants an instant solution for every problem. We want a pill for everything, even to make us happy....:D

I am grateful to western medicine when it comes to cancer, fighting diseases...etc. However doctors should sometimes refrain from overperscribing, and patients should learn to live with discomfort....

THis is a complex subject I just tried to give a little scoope of my view in the subject.

i respectly disagree. When I see herbs, I see the wild west of pharmaceutical care. Not only are they poorly regulated, but vastly misunderstood, and by no means are they considered cheaper then your average co-pay.

There was an article a few years back that compared st john's wart manufacturers next to each other. Did you know that the amount varied considerably pill to pill, maker to maker. Meaning, when it says 250 mg of drug X, you may not even be getting near that amount. And if you want a product that has been tested, and is accurately putting 250 mg of drug X into their pills, you are going to be paying a boat-load for something that you considered cheaper.

lets not even get into "experts" who run these shops, they have BA in art history and have no real knowledge about pharmacology. While i am sure there are a few good owners out there, the majority are idiots and i wouldn't trust them giving me advice on a nice cologne, more less a real ailment. They do not have the proper training to give advice to customers, and to be honest, I do not even understand how its even legal without the proper diploma and license. They do not understand drug-drug interactions, or adverse events. I would not like them to diagnose or treat an ailment.

I disagree- I think that in the past we have treated with the strongest available and now we are complaining that we have over treated... and ailments are becoming resistant.

Also- I think with the rising popularity of organic food, and "going green" people will turn to more natural/homeopathic drugs

i respectly disagree. When I see herbs, I see the wild west of pharmaceutical care. Not only are they poorly regulated, but vastly misunderstood, and by no means are they considered cheaper then your average co-pay.

There was an article a few years back that compared st john's wart manufacturers next to each other. Did you know that the amount varied considerably pill to pill, maker to maker. Meaning, when it says 250 mg of drug X, you may not even be getting near that amount. And if you want a product that has been tested, and is accurately putting 250 mg of drug X into their pills, you are going to be paying a boat-load for something that you considered cheaper.

lets not even get into "experts" who run these shops, they have BA in art history and have no real knowledge about pharmacology. While i am sure there are a few good owners out there, the majority are idiots and i wouldn't trust them giving me advice on a nice cologne, more less a real ailment. They do not have the proper training to give advice to customers, and to be honest, I do not even understand how its even legal without the proper diploma and license. They do not understand drug-drug interactions, or adverse events. I would not like them to diagnose or treat an ailment.

I think we are looking at the issue from different angles. I definetly agree with what you said on term of all the problems linked to the use of plants. But I am talking more about herbs use as a preventive approach. I will make my self clearer if I use some examples.
Lets say cooking with turmeric, oregano, garlic, olive oil, Argane oil, black seed...etc etc...my list is very long:) those are nutrients that would boost the immune system and prevent some common health problems or even helps the person recover quicker from a benign illness.

In fact it is well documented that the low rate of certain diseases in some countries is due to their diet and the high consumption of certain plants/food/herbs. For example, the mediteranean diet is responsible for the low rate of diabetes and even cancer among its population...

However, when those plants" become" exotic then the problem is who knows what, and how much and when to take them.
I personally would not consume a plant that I am not familiar with. And I think it is easy for me to back up that holistic/naturalist way of life b/c I grow up using it.

My point still that if medical research start investigating those "exotic" treatments/diets, they might learn something new or find alternative treatments that would be cheaper, regulated and efficient for their overwhelmed patients.

I know it would be starange if a doc perscribes oregano or garlic:laugh:...but why not if it is efficient.
As I said b4, it is a very complex subject....

Sorry, I messed-up the quote..now my reply looks like a journal

Show me the data with the herbals. Take a look at policosanol for instance. Look at where the positive trials were performed and by who? In my opinion it would be a waste of time to go to pharmacy school to do this when in fact you really dont need a formal education or licensure. The way I look at it if you do something wrong you will have to prove to the courts that you acted within the standard of care. With herbals what data/guidelines will you have backing you up.

She was 100 years old...maybe that had something to do with it.