Is it possible to decline an offer ON or AFTER April 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cai

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this it a big no-no, but I am on the waitlist (in the top 3, I'm told) for my first choice school which offers generous funding. I have been accepted to a program that is a solid second choice, the only real downfall being NO FUNDING. I'm at peace with the debt, but I would much prefer the other school if I have the choice.
What if my first choice calls on April 16? Am I stuck? Or should I do the unheard of, and stop payment on my check and back out?!?!?!

Members don't see this ad.

i don't have an answer to your question, just adding another question :) i always thought that everything gets "settled" by april 15-- is that not the case? i'm also wait listed at my top choice, and am thinking that if i don't hear from them, i should accept at my 2nd choice by april 15. but is there still a chance i would get in after april 15? i thought that if someone declines on april 15, the school will extend the next offer still on april 15. but is it possible that things do happen after that date? i'm hoping that it won't come to that...

thanks for your help!

also, what time do you have to notify by on april 15 if you're coming?

You try not to get your hopes up, accept choice #2, and wait and see if you hear anything from #1. If so, then you are allowed to tell #2 what happened and renege your acceptance, I'm fairly certain there is nothing legally binding. They may then go to a wait list as well, I'm under the impression that things can still happen after the 15th, though it is rare. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Things "should" be settled by then, but there are always offers that fall through (people pull out because of personal issues, etc). The programs really should let everyone know by the 15th and people should accept, though there are always some that go after the 15th.

The date was set as a way to help cut down on people and programs dragging their feet. Each person should do what is best for them, as this is a really important decision, just be aware that if you are holding onto more than 2 offers (or 1 offer and 1 possible offer/wait list).....then you really should release the other spots back to the program before April 15th.

I'm also waitlisted at my #1. I know that there are some spots still out there that have not been accepted yet so I know I have a chance. I am waiting until all spots are officially taken. If April 15 comes and I still have no word from them, I'll call the school and ask. I'm only moving on when all my chances are gone (and it should be clear on or by April 15).

Now, I know that this is like almost impossible but what if someone fails to accept/reject by the deadline. Does the school consider that a rejection?

Just wanted to add that my #1 school said they start pulling from their wait list between MAY AND AUGUST, depending on the numbers. I mean, that's so ridiculous it's almost comical to me! (Almost...)

And I'll be moving from Canada to the States, so, um, I kinda need to know before August, at least.

In the mean time, I accepted my offer from school #2 as well.