Is it possible to do some locums moonlighting during fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

The biggest reason to not do fellowship is that it delays attending salary by a year or two. With that being said, is it possible for neuro docs in fellowship to do some locums work (ie moonlighting) in general neurology on their days off?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. In fact most do. When I contemplated doing a fellowship, I interviewed at programs that had built-in moonlighting opportunities. Pay was decent too. Picking up 3 shifts a month can double your fellowship income.

Members don't see this ad :)
To piggyback off this, do people have time to moonlight in PGY-3 and PGY-4, or is it just too busy?

To piggyback off this, do people have time to moonlight in PGY-3 and PGY-4, or is it just too busy?

The others can correct me if I'm but moonlighting as a senior resident is very different than as a fellow because as a fellow you are eligible for general neuro job postings. I know that's not what you asked but I just wanted to clairfy.

Very program dependent. It used to be much more common in the past from talking to older attendings. Part of the reason is that the new generation values time off work much more than our predecessors.

My PGY4 schedule would have allowed me to do some side work but my program had a very strict anti-moonlighting policy

Reactions: 1 user
3s and 4s at my program moonlight frequently in-house, either in our neuro ICU or inpatient rehab facility. There are some stroke service moonlighting opportunities as well. Usually all nights and weekends